16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  I need help with reloading components
Pete
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

I just received a load of reloading stuff. Some of it is very old one example is a cardboard container of 2 3/4 kilo AL 8 a container of red dot???? that has a sale sticker for $10.50 the problem is the Red Dot inside about 3lbs doesn't have any red dots in it. Could it be so old that the red flecks lots there color they now look like white dots. What do you think. I also received 2000 win. 209 primers 1 yellow and blue band box and the other a white and red and orange box with a cowboy on horse back. then there is a 1000 Remington # 57 Kleanbore white box with a red and green like flags, then there is a black box with 1000 Federal 209 primers, a Red and white box of CCI 109, a green striped box of CCI 157 primers, a box of Alcan Primers "220 MAX-FIRE." There is a lot more, ball powder and some green dot, some blue dot to much to mention. Here is my Question how old is this stuff and what would you keep and how do I dispose of the bad stuff I cant flush it because I live in the country and I will destroy my system.
Pete
noduck
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

If you call me ill explain what you have & what to do with it.239-394-1040.eves.,est. John.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

email me I'll also answer your questions Wink
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:26 am  Reply with quote

I'll take the Winchester primers off your hands if you want to get rid of them. PM me and let me know
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Army stockpile surveillance has found that smokeless powders, stored properly (cool & dry), are amazingly stable for about 50 yrs. Somewhere between the 45th -55th yr it takes a nose dive and goes bad in a hurry.

If you can't indentify the production date on this stuff, try giving it a sniff.
Powder that's still good has a certain ethereal solvent (almost sweet) smell.
Whereas powder that's over the hill will have an unpleasant acrid odor.

The easiest way to dispose of smokeless is to use it as fertilizer. Spread it around and water it in. Your plants will love the nitrates.
Primers are pretty stable, but alot of what you have is obsolete. It may be hard/impossible to find data for it.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
bigric
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

FWIW, I just picked up some very old Red Dot myself and the red dots are a dark magenta. Maybe they were that color back then, or the dye reacts over time.

I'd take some of that powder and primers but I'm sure the Hazmat fees would suck.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Usually as has been stated if it is stored properly powder and primers will last a very long time. Doing a bit of reading in some older loading manuals, I believe you have a 3 LB container of Alcan AL-8 powder( not red dot). AL -8 is a very course grained powder made for heavier hunting loads. Most of the primers if in good shape should be usable, the 57/157 primers were made for the older Remington hulls, they are smaller than the .209 size primers used in most modern shotgun shells.
I have load data for all of the above mentioned components in many of my older manauls... let me know if you need some of it
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:47 pm  Reply with quote

You have some powder that you're not entirely sure of its orgin or actual condition in regards to shooting proper loads?? If someone gave me some reloading components that was housed somewhere in the home (garage or basement) under who knows what temperture range, I would probably graciously thank them and properly dispose of the powder and possibly the primers (hopefully the wads are plastic and I can use them). How much are you going to save attempting to use potential defective components with the possible damage to your gun or yourself?? I live in California where pheasant hunting gets really tough after opening weekend (too many damm people in this state!!) and I'll be dammed if I miss or wound a bird (maybe my only chance of the day) due to poor quality ammo. We reload to make better rounds, not to really save money. My vote is to properly dispose of the power and either buy some decent ammo or buy some fresh powder for your reloading.

Good luck....
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:06 am  Reply with quote

If you decide to dispose of the powder, do as foursquare suggested: sprinkle it on your lawn as fertilizer. There is old-time info still floating around that the only acceptable way to get rid of it is to put it on one pound piles and set it on fire. Horsehockey! At least put it to some good use.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Exactly right. If you don't know for certain what the powder is and how reliable, just sprinkle it on the lawn. The nitrates will do some good if you don't dump it in one spot. As far as the old *57 sized primers, these are only good in the old fiber base wad Remington hulls. the primers are too small for 209 sized hulls. These old Remington hulls are at least 25 years old now. The primers are about that old too. I would not use either. I'd place the primers in a jar of reclaimed motor oil and let them soak for several monthes. This will deactivate them. Then, you can safely dump them into the trash after removing the oil.

I'm speaking from experience with the primers. Several years back, I was given a case of older Remington Shur-Shot and Express loads with the translucent green plastic poly formed hulls. The shells were fine having been stored in a cool dry cellar for a couple of decades, except the shur shots were a tad weak compared to my own 1 ounce reloads. I used them up fun targets and saved the once fired hulls which were in excellent condition and could have been reloaded once. I found several boxes of CCI and Remington *57 primers at a gun show for a buck a box of 100. About 1/3 of them caused misfires. Plus, they were miserable to feed through the grabber priming system. It was a total waste of time and money, mostly time. I pitched the rest into a can of old oil and tossed them. The fired shells too. Its not worth the agravation. Use new powder, modern primers, modern cases in good shape, and load them safely. Its the only way that works every time. Don't bend yourself up trying to salvage this old stuff. Its not worth it.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I use Remington *57 primers in my CVA inline bolt-action muzzleloader, which is made for the 209 size. I have about 800 remaining from when I reloaded the late 60's early 70's Remington 16ga hulls. They fit fine, never spit or misfire and are easy to extract using the CVA supplied tool.