16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  just back from Argentia
JD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Wow!!!! I never thought hunting could feel like work. In 7 -3 hour hunts I killed 3675 doves with 250 boxes of shells. The day started with breakfeast a 3 hour hunt lunch and a nap and a 3 hr hunt . all meals were 5 star with 2 desserts and all you could eat. I quite shooting most hunts with 40 boxes (1000 shots ) even though there were doves and daylight left. My two worst hunts were 200 or so birds with just 20 boxes, 30 mph winds and 60 yard shots made it a hard to break 50%. One quite afternoon in just over 3 hours and 72 boxes of shell for 1100 doves (62%). I still had a hour of daylight. I was told that this is the low part of the population curve, that a couple of broods later about Augest I would have seen 3 times the # of birds. The birds are a pest to the farmers and eat 25% + of the crops even with no limits and year long season. The lodge was great and the food even better. Choose not to belive if you wish,I did not when I heard the claims. On the morning after the 72 box hunt I had to soak my hand for a hour inorder to wrap it around a gun. I was told I shot well but if I had not held back ,and hunted during the peak of the population I would shoot 3000 birds per day on a good day. NO Mas!!!!

PS I offer a spot for you at a very cheep price about 800 per man!

JD
Birdawg
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

What was the total cost including air fair and ammo from where you departed the US? It sounds to good to miss. Very Happy

to be considered flaws or defects.
JD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Airfare 1500
Shells 9.50 now 10.00
50 / day to rent 2 shootguns.
250 for the state.

The hunt pagage is $1400/man.

I bought the hunt for 5 At $1500. One of my hunting buddies bought it as a donation at a turkey unlimted meeting. Due to katrina he could not use it. Our other hunting buddy has cancer so buddy # 1 sold it to us for what he paid for it.Allow our ill friend to make his dream trip while he was strong enough to do so. If you got the money it is worth doing at least once.

JD
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Wow-----what gauge shells do they have on hand and can you keep the empties Twisted Evil
JD
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:12 am  Reply with quote

I shot 12 ga, most hunter shoot 20 ga ,all thought 28 is avaible
David
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:29 am  Reply with quote

JD, sounds like a wonderful time. I figured you averaged 1.7 shells for every bird. Very good. Trip price sounds very nice. I'm just trying to figure out the shell prices to your trip. At roughly $10.00 a box, that's $2,500.00 just in shells.
JD
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:57 am  Reply with quote

David I tried to get by on just two 20 box cases a day. One case a hunt would get you though a hour and a half. Two case a hunt were much better. There is nothing else to do there other than shooting no tv no phone no news paper and no internet (It was great). The check I wrote to the lodge was for $3000, include $1500 airfair, $750 for the package for a cost of $5350. The 3000 include about 300 in leathergoods. It is not a cheep trip,I saved about 600 because of the deal I got from my buddie. Three more guys would have got the hunt cost down to 200.00 per man, instead of 750.00. My buddie due to the cancer paced him self a little and shot 189 box of shells . My take was 3675 doves for 59 % average his was 2345 for 49%average. I had four hunts in the 62% area and 2 hunts in the 45% range. It is not uncommon to shoot 3000 birds a day during the peak of the season. It is easy to get into the "I want to see just how many I can Hit Mode". If I am able to go back I think I will limit doves to 2 days and do
some waterfowel and upland game.

JD
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

I am going August 18 - 35 miles south of Cordoba. I am going with my 24 year old son and some friends. We are taking 20 and 28 gauges. We will be there three days.

This is our first trip. Do you have any advice?

Thanks!

Mike
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Amarillo guy: What a great trip to take with your son.

This is a thread from another Forum about advice for an African trip. Lot of comments are applicable to ANY international trip, esp. regarding staying safe and healthy:

http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?t=29384

Being prepared and a smile will get you through most 'unanticipated adventures.'

JD
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Mike you will have a great time. You need to talk to your sons about a shell budjet. If the birds are flying you can shoot 8 cases a day each.
I found the hunt more demanding than my plains game hunt. Put your shot gun out and pick it up and mount it a 100 times in the am and 100 times in the Pm. Then swing at the waist each way. During the hunt you may mount the gun a 1000 times or more thats 7.5 lbsX1000 do the math. My worst hunt was a 500 round case and 200 birds in 3 hrs my best was 75 boxes and 1100 bird in 3 hours. The next morning my hand were numb and required a hot water soak and rub down. It is best to have two like guns,that way bird boy can load. Bring shooting gloves and a shell pouch and mole hair for your thumb. Bring some advill or similar pain releaver.
Aleive is good if you can take it.

Get a mag past pad.

It is their winter bring some warm clothes, dress in layers.

Bring something to help you sleep on the plane. We left Miami at 5 pm got to chilie at 6 or so (8.5 hours). You need to sleep if you can.

Shoot as much as you can , high tower sporting clays. Most shots were comeing at us. Bring some good eyewear, The sun can be bright. Tighten up on your chokes for practice.

Ther is not much differance in cost from bring your own guns and renting.
our ranch would rent you two berreita 20 ga for 50 a day. It is 70.00 per gun to inport tax with our lodge.

good luck

JD