16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Attention 16 gaugeguy
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:55 am  Reply with quote

I found the perfect gun for you. Wink

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976752842.htm
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:26 am  Reply with quote

yup. One of my close friends called me last night about it. I think I'll pass on it. How about you buy it and keep it as a loaner? Laughing
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:40 am  Reply with quote

My wife's wedding ring doesn't have as much gold in it as that gun does.
If I was to bring that gun home, not only would my wife be jealous. But my Parkers wouldn't let it in the safe. This gun belongs next to the Revs Sterly, or one of those lazer guided Merkels. Wink
I know it would be out of place in the Michigan Grouse woods.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:07 am  Reply with quote

About the only place that gun wouldn't be out of place is at a pimp convention. Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Your Sterly's beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as...the wearing of gold... 1 Peter 3:3 (the non-inspired non-authorized version of revdoc Razz )

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:44 am  Reply with quote

I just found out the gun was done over for Mr. T. He wasn't happy with it. Not enough Bling! so, its on the block.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Nice wood, though Very Happy !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:44 am  Reply with quote

Great wood. Not meant for a Citori though. I've always said the Grade 1 Citori is about the best buy for the money, but it was never meant to be anything but a middle class gun for middle class folks, like me. It is the Sterlingworth or Trojan of today. It is a damned good tool for hunting and recreational shooting.

Taking one and spending this much money upgrading it is just a waste. However, its not my money so what the heck do I care. I'm just having fun poking fun at it. As Mr T would say," Pity the fool who did this."
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I was in Labarge Harkness in Alton IL today picking up Ms. Elsie and 2 Foxy Ladies (16 and 20 model Bs) and Paul Fuchs (gunsmith) showed me the sister to the gun that 16gg is going to buy. Paul told me it came in yesterday and I was appalled - (no, no gold on this one), but the butt checkering was just about worn off, the wood was slamming into the receiver, and there were various scrathces etc... on the wood and receiver. I looked twice and commented that someone had really shot this piece and Paul said yes. Paul also told me that he gets a fair number of these "high grade" brownings to work on.

You all are off the hook for the abuse - it was a 12 ga.

Now I shoot ALL my guns, but few have the abuse this one did - and such a high grade to start too.

hmmmmm..............

Dr. 16 Gauge
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Not me, not in a gazillion years...not even with your money. Laughing I buy mine clean used, but not abused. I have a couple of Browning Citori stock, unscrewed with grade III shooters with a gazillion rounds through them. The wood is fine, the fit is fine, and they are still relatively tight. One has had replacement strikers fitted after half a gazillion rounds and the other a replacement ejector which failed early on. Cost me nada. They show use but certainly not abuse. I bought them clean used in the box with less that a couple hundred or so rounds through them from folks that could not shoot them due to poor fit. Browning still honored the warranty, because the guns were under 10 years old and obviously well cared for.

The folks at Miroku certainly know how to fit wood to their guns. Most stock Citori models are very hard to match let alone surpass in this department. Plus, if you get a bad one, they will fix it under warranty for quite awhile down the road.

I've also seen after market "custom fitted" wood under the surface. It looks great new all snugged up nice and tight against the steel. Underneath where it counts in the mortice and bearing surfaces, the work is as sloppy as it gets. A thousand rounds later, the stock cheeks are buckling out, and probably cracking as the bearing surfaces of the mortice come up to meet the steel.

In many cases the stock would have looked great forever if the guy who bought the gun had not shot it and then tighten up the stock bolt as the wood compressed forward. He was supposed to send the gun back for periodic but hardly free maintainance. He though he knew better and would save some money. Wrong!! The stock needed a shim fitted at the bearing surface so tightening the bolt would not bulge the side cheeks. He did not know that, because he was never trained to properly fit wood. The gun was custom and out of warranty. Shame, but there it is. All too common in this day and age.

There is a reason for the little gap between wood and steel on a new factory gun. Stocks still have to settle in. Wood compresses slowly or it cracks if fitted too tight, to soon. That takes time and shooting. We never got to see our grandfathers' and fathers factory made guns new. Most had that little gap too. We see them after a gazillion rounds. The wood is now snugged up to the steel. Some wood even had to be refitted or shimmed to stand off the steel a couple thousandths to prevent cracking and bulging as it compressed forward. now it looks great. It did not start out like that. Live and learn.