16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  advice from a Montannan on Glacier
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Are their any members here from Montanna that can advise me on what to do in regards to hiking in glacier as far as carrying a large bore revolver vs bear spray. One or the other or both? Is bear spray effective on Cougars? I apologize in advance for this not being a 16 topic but I've looked a lot on the internet and opinions there are all over the map.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Hello
When I lived and hiked in Montana ( 1971 - 1976) around the Chinese Wall and North, I carried a hand gun, but best of all I carried a metal drinking cup where it would clink on my belt buckle as I walked.
Bears hate surprises.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/news10-05.htm

Mike

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

The concealed carry in National Parks was placed on hold by the courts in March and the NRA has been pursuing an appeal. At this time it is illegal to carry a weapon in a National Park or Wildlife Refuge.
Stick with bear spray and enjoy the hike.
Ron
apachecadillac
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

apachecadillac-good humor!
I was finally able to get hold of a ranger at the park and he said open and conceal carry is ok. Of course you have to make sure your state has reciprocity with Montanna. They do recommend spray above guns though.

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
apachecadillac-good humor!
I was finally able to get hold of a ranger at the park and he said open and conceal carry is ok. Of course you have to make sure your state has reciprocity with Montanna. They do recommend spray above guns though.

I've hunted for elk/deer during the archery season supposedly NOT in grizzly country (Bridger Mts.). I carry pepper spray (reminds me, I gotta get a fresh can). Rumors abound that there ARE grizzles there. Last fall I saw black bears every day, sometimes more than once. As much as I love my guns I'd never carry a handgun for Grizzly. If you shoot and don't drop them - they can kill you on pure adrenalin. Pepper spray has a wider pattern than an open choke shotgun. It's just plain easier to be more effective (lighter and cheaper too).

Plus the noise making ideas are great. Not so for me during archery season.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm  Reply with quote

We are starting to get reports on the ineffectiveness of pepper sprays on bears, especially black bears. A handgun is what you use to fight your way to a shotgun, in encounters with two legged vermin. I would have to believe a shotgun loaded with slugs would be a lot more effective than pepper spray or a handgun, or, God forbid, a bell, in an ugly bear encounter. But, I sure don't want to find out.
That guy who filmed himself in the "Going it alone" PBS series said that black bears almost always run the other way when you see them, but, he always had the rifle over his shoulder when he wasn't in camp.

Best,
Ted

skycarp
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

bear spray can work but half the time it acts as a marinade before the bear gets you, so I carry a pistol. and who has the time in a bear encounter to check the wind to be sure your spraying down wind. Last time I checked, the wind does not blow a bullet back into your face. The best defense is a good ol' fashioned air horn...and then the pistol for backup.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Do note that, according to posts on some of the flyfishing fora, TSA will not let you carry bear spray or pepper spray in your luggage (let alone your carry-on) if you are flying. To address this, some of the fly shops around YNP are stocking and renting bear spray for anglers to use. So, the idea is you come in to fish YNP, stop in at the fly shop, buy some flies and get some info and rent a bear spray, then bring it back when you're ready to leave.

Saves the cost of buying it and then having to dump it somewhere when you're heading home.