16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  saw 2 16s sxs for sale today
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

While picking up Ms. Elsie I saw two 16 ga sxs for sale today - both will need work (I did not purchase though am mulling it over). Your opinions welcome.

Gun 1 (best shape) - French Guild (no name on gun), prince wales grip, splinter, forend button, 27 inch, swamp rib, 2 9/16 chambers. engraved receiver - some pitting on receiver, barrels, some inside barrels (could be honed) steel barrels don't know chokes, dt, 60-70%

Gun 2 - Syracuse, prince wales grip, splinter, 2 9/16, 26 inch barrels, needs attention - has new hinge pin, new lever, pitting inside barrels pretty heavy, dark wood 40-50%, steel barrels

both have stocks with some drop and are 14 inches or less (no time to measure precisely. Also did not write down proof marks, and letters on both guns.

whaddya think.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

My opinion----Barrels are supposed to be stacked on TOP of each other-- Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil As in Browning Superposed Twisted Evil Wink Cool
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:49 am  Reply with quote

I vote for new iron whenever possible. I loved my Ithaca NID's but always had one in the shop. 80 year old guns are not really the best candidates for a lot of shooting--unless you are a gunsmith!

Birdawg
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Hoashooter,
Let me know next time you find a 16ga superposed Laughing

to be considered flaws or defects.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

dawg---will do
Ken Hurst
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Please give me info on the SAC gun such as the ga. / if 26" bbl's were cut / bbl's pitted & etc. many thanks, Ken kenhurst@cox,net

Yes Rev, looks like I'm digging another hole for myself with another project gun. Wink
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:15 pm  Reply with quote

What is a swamp rib? Is it a rib that sits lower then the top of the barrel? The reason I asked is I've looked at a French guild 16ga sxs several times. The guns is in great shape but I noticed the rib sits very low below the top of the barrel. The guy is asking $800 which seems like a good deal but it just seems a bit odd with the rib sitting so low. The gun is less then 6 pounds so I would need to load up on some low pressure loads.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Hey Matt:

How did the back surgery turn out? Or am I confusing you with another 16 forum member?

I call a "swamp rib" one that is low between the barrels and also appears to have a low "bend" in it so it rises back into view at the bead. Hope this makes sense. In other words when I look down the sight plane I see rib, no rib in the middle, and then rib again at the bead end. This may not be the strict definition of a swamp rib - anybody else?

good luck....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Bustingclays the back surgery went fine. Just nine short hours of surgery and three hours in post-op and I was off to my room with a happy pump. The happy pump worked pretty good until the physical therapist made me get out of bed each day. The other bad thing was they wouldn't let me eat or drink for five days. They told me since they had to take my guts out and put them back in they stop working. The first sign they are working again is when you pass gas. After three days I was getting pretty hungry and was praying for gas. Well that's all over and I'm back to working for a living and I'm trying to get back in shape for hunting season. I lost some flexibility with two disc's replaced with bone from my hip and cadaver bone plus plates running down the back into my hip.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

Damn Matt sounds like you went through quite an ordeal.

I'm still re-habing after a bit of surgery back in December myself. The thought of Grouse hunting the Colorado Rockies in September keeps me going.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Wow Matt - that is pretty rough. Are you still working for the State in the official capacity? Ride every day?

I had my last dinner on Monday night and then drank some awful tasting stuff Tuesday to clean out the pipes for the colonoscopy this morning. What a pain, but necessary, ordeal. Survived the cleanout just fine, all was in place in the camera view, and was told to come back in 5 years - whooppee.... Got to eat at Olive Garden this afternoon though so much shorter than 5 days without food.

Further, power is on at gun club again after being off since last Wednesday. I will shoot this weekend - and range duties Sunday AM too.

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Dr 16g.- GOT PICS Question Oh-maybe better not Wink

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Matt--BC's got the swamped rib definition down. It sort of dives down and disappears between the barrels, pops up again at the muzzles. Very common on French doubles--saves a little weight.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys I had to take a medical retirement. With my job I couldn't be more than 5% disabled and continue on the job. I'm teaching criminal justice courses at a local private college.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

Mattkcc:

There must be something in the air as I just had fusion surgery last week myself. Nowhere near as complex as what you had, just the usual cadaver bone replacement and the Home Depot hardware in the vertebrae. I hope to be able to be in shape for bird season in late fall but it's going to put a crimp in my golf game for a couple, six months! I wish you the very best on your recovery!

With regards to having a colonoscopy, that's a piece of cake and ANYBODY 50 years or older should/needs to have it done. It's the only thing I've agreed with Kati Couric on in the past 15 years!

Matt