16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Three inch 16 gauge
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

Overbored barrels work well only if the plastic wad seal or plastic gas check being used seals the bore well. Most of the recent 12 and 20 ga. plastic wad designs have a gas seals supple enough, strong enough, and generous enough to seal even very overbored barrels. However, some of the oldest wad designs still being used today won't seal very overbored barrels well. The oldest Remington wad designs like the SP/RP series have minimal gas seals which work well only in standard or minimally overbored barrels. I have my doubts about the older European plastic wad designs in this respect as well.

This problem especially applies to the 16 gauge, because much of the industry regards the gauge as obsolete. Modernized 16 ga ammo designs and reloading components are far scarcer. So it is wise to carefully choose the ammo or reloading components to be used in very overbored barrels. Otherwise, we may just end up spinning our wheels.
morngstar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Two steps closer. I was told my gun may be ready before Christmas. Briley received my Superposed to 16ga chamber sleeve it on October 15.

I consulted with Tom Armbrust today. He is onboard with this project. He was also concerned with the need for a good seal from a 16ga load in a 12ga tube. As we talked and I told him Rocky Mountain Cartridge is making my 3 inch brass hulls. He told me if I can have them make a thin wall shell, I could use a 12ga wad in my 16ga hull that will perform well. I called RMC and explained the project with Tom's suggestion. Tom and Kody at RMC agreed to modify my original order and make me some ultra thin 16ga brass shells that will hold a 12ga wad.

Tom Armbrust also told me the theory is solid. The 12ga receiver will easily handle the 3 inch 16ga heavy loads. He further explained to me that the 16ga shot column will have little or no friction in my 12ga tubes increasing velocity. He also said the 16ga shells will produce lower pressure in the larger volume 12ga tubes. Since we are in uncharted territory with load data I am very relieved to have Tom Armbrust testing pressure and working on my loads.

1935 Superposed 3 inch chambered, 16ga conversion
Browning 725 16ga
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:50 am  Reply with quote

Magtech brass will fit a 12ga Clay Buster orange AA clone. I modify the primer pocket for a 209 and use this wad and Longshot in my 16ga browning Citoris . Gives a good pattern about 1.5 choke bigger than the tube in the muzzle so its a good first shot for the close bird over dogs.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

16 ga. Citori bores measure between .667"-.670" in diameter, at least all the ones I've ever miked. This is a bit overbore in comparison to a standard 16 ga bore diameter but not anywhere near A 12 ga bore diameter.

Further, I've never had any bore seal problems with any 16 ga plastic wad ever in any of my 16 ga Citori bores. I've even successfully used Federal 20S1 20 ga wads in them for some of my 3/4 and 7/8 ounce, 16 ga. loads w/o any bore seal problems (this was prior to the time we group ordered the Remington R1 wads and long before the Down Range wad was offered).

I fail to see the reasoning why anyone would use a 12 ga. plastic wad in any 16 ga bore. It is unnecessary and maybe a bit reckless. A well designed 16 ga spreader load w/ a Polywad insert would be a wiser choice and a safer one for close in shots IMO. I've used them to good effect for years. Just saying.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

the wad is made of something called plastic

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

...and trying to safely stuff a 12 ga plastic wad through a 16 ga steel barrel fired from a load charged with progressive burning smokeless powder only makes sense to a brain made of something called concrete. Laughing
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:04 am  Reply with quote

morngstar,

I have heard of ridiculous projects and this one ranks right up there with the most ridiculous. Basically you have had your 12 gauge re-sleeved for a 16 Gauge chamber and then opened up the brass hull to fit a 12 gauge wad?

If you want a 3" 16 Gauge fine, but you are using all 12 gauge components in basically a 12 gauge hull, shotgun and bore, what does that have to do with the 16 Gauge? Rolling Eyes

Super Sixteen or Stupid Sixteen or How To Throttle Down a Perfectly Good 12 Gauge???

If you hadn't noticed this is 16ga.com.......not 12gaugewetdreams.com that's over on Shotgun World in the reloading forum. Laughing Laughing Laughing

byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
...and trying to safely stuff a 12 ga plastic wad through a 16 ga steel barrel fired from a load charged with progressive burning smokeless powder only makes sense to a brain made of something called concrete. :lol:

Mabee the wad is a 14ga actual dia, not a real 12 and you cant argue with results. Unless you are you so that only what you think of is what is right. You are obviously a fear based thinker with sever limitations.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
morngstar,

I have heard of ridiculous projects and this one ranks right up there with the most ridiculous. Basically you have had your 12 gauge re-sleeved for a 16 Gauge chamber and then opened up the brass hull to fit a 12 gauge wad?

If you want a 3" 16 Gauge fine, but you are using all 12 gauge components in basically a 12 gauge hull, shotgun and bore, what does that have to do with the 16 Gauge? Rolling Eyes

Super Sixteen or Stupid Sixteen or How To Throttle Down a Perfectly Good 12 Gauge???

If you hadn't noticed this is 16ga.com.......not 12gaugewetdreams.com that's over on Shotgun World in the reloading forum. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sort of along the lines I was thinking, but not as stringently. I will note that this is not unheard of. The other day a thread ( http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=345534#Post345534 )was started over at Doublegun in memoriam of a well-known waterfowler. If you scroll down in the thread, you'll find this comment.

Quote:
The double that you mentioned---Red had a nice old 1880ish Vintage 10 ga Hammer Parker that he had chamber lined to 12 ga and shot about everything in it. He was shooting 3 inch magnum steel in it on an East coast Duck HUnt and everyone including the game warden was amazed and impressed.
I was also.
I bought a nice Stephen Grant Jones Lever 10 ga from him that he also had chamber lined to 12 ga and I have used for Clays and Birds with great effect

So, while it is something which can be done and has been done in the past, I have my questions about it. It's not a matter of keeping an old favorite gun working with modern ammo. Rather, it seems more a case of doing something to prove a point.

Of course, it's your gun and your money. And you might find something that will catch on.
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Here are the brass shells I load using smokless powder and a 209 primer I make the closure myself.

[URL=http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/byrdog1/media/006-1.jpg.html]

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:46 am  Reply with quote

Great looking ammo and I especially like the
over bore over shot wad, should really hold all in place.

Happy Thanksgiving

Mike

byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

the key is contact cement ,when I push in the wad with a dowel I can put pressure on the shot and the wad stays where I put it.

calebg
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:15 am  Reply with quote

colsen1 wrote:

With new guns coming to the market all the time, how hard is it to sell someone on a new 12 or 20 gauge gun? Most gun buyers most likely have a quality 12 or 20 already. However, come out with a new 16 gauge that has finally been "upgraded" to allow 3" shells and you may get people to buy it because they don't have anything in 16 gauge and remember their father or grandfather shooting one ages ago.

As crazy and unnecessary as a 3" 16ga might sound, you do point out that it would have the virtue of being something different. Maybe in an industry that's crying for something new to drive sales, the 3" 16ga is so old it's ready to be new again.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Morningstar - I applaud the effort no matter what the result . I LIKE having stuff that is off the mainpath . (ergo my solid frame/takedown 97- figure that one out ) By the way of encouragement , one of our writers psyched out another old poster , and the DR was invented ... Same writer MUST shoot trap with about 1/2 his buddies shooting overbore trap guns - no worries about the loads working !

morngstar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, I look forward to posting the results good, bad or ugly. My research suggests a positive outcome. If it does not produce the anticipated advantages, it will still be fun to own and shoot a 3" 16ga. Browning Superposed.

I sent the gun to Briley the second week in October. I was hoping it would be back by Christmas. The report from Briley last week was, "the gunsmith has it checked out of the vault and is working on it." I am patiently waiting.

1935 Superposed 3 inch chambered, 16ga conversion
Browning 725 16ga