16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Nobel Shotguns...
BCB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

I thought I might post a question about a 16 gauge that has been in my dad’s gun rack since I can remember—the mid-50’s…

It is a Nobel brand and I can remember it not being overly dependable—maybe the safety didn’t work correctly or misfires—I don’t really remember…

I started reloaded ammo in the late 60’s and I reloaded some 16 gauge hulls for that shotgun. They shoot O.K., but my dad never really had the time to hunt…

The gun remains in the gun rack and is mine if I want it as my dad is no longer with us…

Any info on the Nobel shotgun?...

Not worth much, but it is a nice light weight gun and it fits nicely…

Thanks…

Brad (aka BCB) GO BUCS...
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

"Nobel Manufacturing Co. of Haydenville, Mass operated from 1953 to 1971. They produced pump and auto shotguns in their factory and imported Spanish made doubles. Charles Carder's excellent "Side by Sides of the World" provided this information" - from oldguns.net

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-216942.html

popplecop
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

Best pace for it is on the wall to honor as Dad's old shotgun. Do not invest anything into fixing, not worth it. We won't even take them in. As bad as they were Ithaca bought them out and made them at one time, no improvement. Finally saw the light and stuck with thier 37s which is a wonderful pump shotgun.

BCB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="popplecop"]Best pace for it is on the wall to honor as Dad's old shotgun. Do not invest anything into fixing, not worth it. We won't even take them in. As bad as they were Ithaca bought them out and made them at one time, no improvement. Finally saw the light and stuck with thier 37s which is a wonderful pump shotgun.[/quote]

I agree 100%...

I remember that particular gun being a true beast and nothing but problems, but at times it was a pretty good shooter…

Still, I think the safety was a major problem and that makes it even more worthy of a wall hanger—if even that…

I suspect it will just “go away” when mom does and that will be it for that Nobel…

I always enjoyed reloading for it and shooting it off of the bench to test it—worked O.K. from the bench, but that’s another story…

Mostly when my dad did hunt small game, which was seldom it seemed, he used one of my older Model 12’s—not a problem there…

But, they were 12 and 20 gauges…

Thanks all…

Brad (aka BCB) GO BUCS...
kgb
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

I borrowed a lucky model 60 or 65 in 16ga with a functioning safety and shot two ruffs with it plus some rabbits. Not a Model 12 or 37 but it worked fine for me. I don't think it ever had many shells through it.
Bloodhound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

I helped a lady sell her husband's guns after he passed away....I sold all of them with the exception of a Noble 12ga...I didn't take or want a cut from the proceeds...but she offered to give me the Noble....I declined and she gave it to her grandson.

Two weeks later he contacted me and wanted me to help him sell it...I agreed and listed the gun online, took it to gunshows and listed it in the local paper...I finally sold it to a gunsmith who thought he had a buyer.

I never shot it, but it seemed alright...it was sure tough to get sold........

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD