16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Extra Set of Barrels for Merkel 1620?
SingleMalt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Last Fall, I sent the barrels of my Merkel 1620 to Briley for choke installation. (I know. It hurt to do it, but I wanted to shoot skeet with my favorite side-by-side in the off season.) Briley sent the barrels back, stating that they were too thin to be fitted with choke tubes or even to be re-choked. I understand this is unusual, but that's what they said.

I then contacted Merkel to see about buying a set of 20 ga barrels choked for skeet. (20 ga shells are cheaper and easier to find.) Merkel's response was to tell me I'd be better off buying spreader rounds from RST, which I've done. But I'd still like to have the 20 ga barrels.

Question: Has anyone else run into this problem, and/or could I get some advice on acquiring a set of 20 ga barrels for my 1620?

Thank you in advance for reading this and for any guidance you can provide.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 am  Reply with quote

Hello SingleMalt,

Welcome on your first posting here.

I did a check of my contacts and all I turned up were NO'S

Maybe someone else can assist.

Again, WELCOME

Mike

SingleMalt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for trying, skeettx.

I've been hearing the same, but I was just hoping.
sneem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Spreader loads.

Hootch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Guessing the 20ga barrels would need to be "fitted" to the gun?
Guessing also that is what is done when they sell the 1620 in a set.
Had a chance to buy that set, but didn't.

Spreader loads easy to load yourself, I do all the time for hunting and sporting clays. Poly wad sells spreaders too.
gloftness
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

I've sent about 6 guns to Briley and they've never had a problem with barrel thickness. (all Berettas and an SKB sxs)

How tight are your 1620 chokes? Why not just shoot skeet with it as-is?

No matter what, the more you shoot your "favorite gun" the better you'll shoot it on birds.
SingleMalt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I've got spreaders. Wish they didn't cost $11-$14 a box. I'm not a reloader. Not sure I have the patience. I've just loved 16s since I got my Sweet Sixteen as a kid, and I was hoping there was a solution out there that I hadn't discovered.

Wish I'd known about the two-barrel sets at the time I bought the 1620. At the time, I just stopped by Merkel USA here in Birmingham (on a friend's recommendation but with zero research) tried a few doubles and bought the one that felt right. And I'm still glad I did. It's a great gun.

It's choked IC and M. IC is fine for skeet. Modified less so, especially with me shooting it.
JNW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:24 am  Reply with quote

If you keep a sharp eye you find 1620 two barrel sets coming up for sale occasionally. Having owned some multi barrel sets I will tell you that almost everyone shoots just one set of barrels all the time. IC/M isn't too bad for skeet. If you were really serious about your skeet scores you would shoot a 12 ga o/u that weighed 9 pounds, and you would shoot it (gasp) gun up. Have fun with your toy.
Regards,
Jeff
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:35 am  Reply with quote

The difference in choke from Skeet to mod won't get you all the targets your missing it's all between your ears. Find a nice 1620 2 barrel set and buy it. You won't have any problem selling your gun and I'm sure a good smith could polish a few thousands out of your current chokes. Is an extra couple of inches in pattern width going to make you shoot 100 straight? I shoot SK/IC IC/Mod Mod/F and I don't really notice a difference other that an occasional ball smoke where the target was. My scores don't change much if I'm on choke doesn't matter if I'm off choke doesn't matter either. Use your IC on the real tight shots and shoot your mod barrel first on doubles. Still won't change anything but might give you the confidence that you need. Your gun and chokes are very well suited for any clay's game and very well suited for any feathered targets great gun great choke combination.
SingleMalt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Thanks pudelpointer. Good advice.

Also, I had to respond because of your user name. My pudelpointer, Angus, is lying on my study floor next to me as I write this. Best hunting dog -- and the best dog, period -- I've ever owned. Only problem I have with him is that he's considerably smarter than his owner.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:01 am  Reply with quote

What breeding did your dog come from? I love my Pudelpointer he is an obedient hard worker but my Setter most definitely has more talent. I have had 2 dogs from Cedarwoods and one from Pine ridge in Canada all great dogs and easy to train but all had there quirks. I like the combination of the setter and Pudelpointer they hunt different and cover all my bases.
SingleMalt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Angus is from Cedarwoods -- the product of the owner's personal dog and a Austrian female he brought in to nick the line.

After a lifetime of Labs and English Pointers, plus some experience with Setters, my Pudelpointer strikes me as having more of a Setter's disposition than either a Pointer or a Poodle, without quite the skittishness that pops up among Setters.

Stylish point and good nose. And he is kinder -- if a dog can be kind -- than even my labs. But he is headstrong, and he needs to be worked to keep his energy under control. In my experience, in the absence of work, smart, energetic dogs will entertain themselves in ways that can be either amusing or destructive. I've also noticed that the rule about not petting a hunting dog for nothing (as opposed to petting as a reward for performance) doesn't work with Pudlepointers. Regular attention seems to make him more biddable, not less.

Again, though, best dog I've ever had.
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

Two barrel set just popped up today on guns international, fyi

JNW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

There's a 1620 at Cabelas in PA and a 28/.410 two barrel set in MN. Have both of them shipped to your local Cabelas store and buy them both. Bet you could pick it all up for 9 grand or so in a package deal. Post pics of your new guns.
Regards,
Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Try some 3/4 ounce loads in the 16. Beats hell out of 20 and 28 gauge loads anytime. Laughing