16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  BPS rifle/slug barrel?
JT
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

So my son wants to deer hunt with his 16ga BPS this fall. I am wondering if there is such a thing as a rifle/slug barrel for the 16ga? I know it won't be cheap, but are they even out there?

Also, any suggestions on where to get decent slugs appreciated.

Thanks, JT
fasteddie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

i know slug barrels are all the rage but my first deer was taken with my sportsman 48 28" modified bird barrel. if used at shotgun ranges like up to 75 yards most bird barrels are pretty damn accurate.

JT
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have to agree, the bird barrel should be fine, and he will take a few target shots to know how it performs. I think because it's for my son instead of myself, I am more willing to see what is out there that "might" give him any advantage.

I haven't seen one, and it seems nobody else has either. I tried... Smile

JT
browningcollector
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Sir

Probably not going to find a 16 gauge slug barrel. I do not think Browning ever made one for the BPS 16. I would try the bird barrel.

Kelly
JT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Kelly. I kind of thought not, but figured it was worth asking. BTW, he has sure enjoyed that stock you sold us. It worked out perfectly. Thanks for that too.

JT
browningcollector
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

I have a BPS 16 upland with the 26 inch barrel for sale. It is NIB with all choke tubes if you need another!! Also have a 410 and a 10 gauge, both NIB. The 10 gauge has engraved receiver.

Glad your boy is enjoying the stock.

Kelly
dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

JT,
I use Brenneke Rottweiler slugs in my Japanese Sweet 16 Browning Auto-5, and I use the 26" bird barrel with a cylinder Invector choke tube. The results are a 2.25" group at 50yds. I'm very happy to say the least. Remington Sluggers at the same range group like buckshot, and slightly better with Winchester Super X foster slugs. With Remington and Winchester, the groups get worse with tighter chokes. Lots worse.
Good luck!

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know if 16 ga rifled choke tubes are available. However, I can't see why an extended 16 gauge tube can't be rebored and rifled for use with slugs or round balls.

I've been successfully using a 12 ga extended rifled choke tube w/ my own round ball loads in the top barrel of one of my Citori hunting models for a while now. Stabilized round balls will group well out beyond 75 yards if the load is a good one.

The bottom barrel is fitted w/ A Pattern Master choke tube and is reserved for 3" Federal Premium OOO buckshot loads. Buckshot can be devastating out to 40 yards if the barrel or tube will consistently pattern the selected load inside a 12" circle. My PM tube will usually keep every available OOO pellet inside 10" out at 40 yards. One or two flyers every so often does not make a difference when 6 or more land on target. Every deer I've ever centered in the chest cavity with a load of these big pellets has gone right down and stayed there.

I've also had limited success with Remington standard, 2-3/4 inch Slugger loads and Federal Hi-Shok 2-3/4 inch (standard) rifled slugs out of the same rifled tube. I can consistently group two shots inside 2-3 inches at 75 yards every time. Most times the two slugs will cut one big hole at 50 yards. However, more than two shots with unprotected lead slugs fouls the rifling, and accuracy suffers. Even so, one well placed slug has always been enough to do the job in my experience.

Snug fitting (but not too tight), greased, unpatched round balls group very well out of some smooth bore shotgun barrels. Cylinder choke seems to work very well as long as the muzzle crown is squarely cut, flat, and smooth. I've been able to keep 5 round balls in a 2-3" circle at 50 yards with no problem. Beyond that, things get iffy in a hurry with most unstabilized projectiles. Even so, 50 yards at deer in woody cover is a long shot anyway. Most of my kills have been well inside 40 yards.
JT
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have not found any 16ga rifled tubes, but it's a great idea.

I appreciate the replies,

JT