16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington Arrow Express
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

At a gun show in WI, found a bag of 17 of these old Remingtons, #6 shot, corrugated paper shells, roll crimp with 6C printed on the OS card, lacquered finish on everything but the high brass. I stuck one in my shell belt the next time out hunting and wound up shooting a Sharptail with it. Empty smelled like wood ash, not the best of results but better than anything currently produced that I've sniffed.

I like older shotshells, always buy them with the intent of taking them hunting, these are the first roll-crimp I've ever tried and with a slight worry about how they might pattern. At closer range, not so much an issue. Think I will pattern 2 or 3 just to satisfy curiosity though.

451whitworth
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

very cool. I burned through 4 boxes of Western Super X paper fold crimp on opening day of dove season. Love that smell but they left the bores very dirty. No biggie though. They had a different report than modern ammo too. Everyone commented on the boom.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Beware of hang fires with old ammo.

I was given an army ammo box of ACME and UMC 20ga back in the sixties, so not that old at the time, and hangfires were common. I believe they WERE roll crimped, but anyway...

Sucked when swinging on a honker or had a bull sprig floating there in front of you to pull the trigger and have it go "Click1,2,3BANG!" or worse yet not go off and hope it wouldn't a minute later when ejected from the HR single. And it's tough to NOT instantly eject a "dud" from a pump when it doesn't fire.

Then there's the chance of a stuck wad , especially in a pump or auto if it is a lazy round...

Just my two centavos on my thoughts and experiences using old papers. Common sense and Safety must always prevail in any shooting.

Also, I just yesterday tossed a box of paper16 ga Super-X 4's because the one I cut open , the shot had corroded together. Maybe it'll break apart on firing and I guess a slug doesn't damage the barrel but who wants to take the chance in an old '12,'21,'37,etc...?
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps a lacquer seal is the key to shell longevity. Smile.
I'm guessing the history of shell storage is a factor. Paper Monarks have worked for me, but only a couple dozen of them. Plastic Peters have functioned, too.

There was more of a "boom" sound to the old Remington shell as well. The others were reloads using HS6 and Solo1250 as well as one old Super-X CF, shot over the course of 2 days.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:09 am  Reply with quote

I have a WWII vintage .50 cal ammo box containing various paper shells bought by my dad to hunt ducks on Cheyenne Bottoms in 1953-54. I shoot one occasionally and have not had misfire issues so far. I agree that storage is the key. However, I have heard, but never experienced a shell with a fused shot charge. Apparently, the oxidation on old pellets can cause them to fuse or stick to each other, resulting in an ersatz slug or slugs exiting the muzzle. While such a lump of shot would not be as aerodynamic as a slug, it would still travel quite a distance. Here on the barren plains of Kansas, it might not be a big deal, but hunting in more settled areas might lead to a nasty accident.

kgb
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Have an update for this subject, hunting an area last week where I encountered prairie grouse, pheasants and quail (plus a couple cottontails and one jackrabbit) I took to loading smaller shot in the right and heavier shot in the left. When a covey of quail turned out to be the objective at hand I shot the 7.5s in the right barrel and thought for a second about the Remington Arrow 6's in the left. Figuring they'd do a good job after all, I snapped the hammer on what turned out to be a dud. Not really disappointed, as I had subsequent shooting of live shells to somewhat accomplish that, I did pocket the remaining couple of those shells on my person. A bit of a shame, as they sound and smell nice when they work.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

Well done, well done
I really enjoy the smell of the old stuff

Used these earlier in the season

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

With the passing of my dad, I have been sorting thru his old ammo. I found some old Federal and Remington 20 gauge ammo made in the '60s. I put a Remington Shurshot 2 1/2-1-7.5 over the Chrony thru a Model 37 Ithaca. The velocity was 1112 fps. I believe book velocity is 1150. Given that this was a 26" barrel and not a 28 or 30" pressure barrel, that's not too bad in my opinion for 45 year old stuff.

I used a paper 20 ga. Federal low round to kill a woodcock last week. It was old enough that I could not read the shot size, but it was in a box of 6's.

I have noticed that some of my brass head factory Federal ammo in 16 and 20 is splitting after the initial firing. Mostly longitudinally, but sometimes around the circumference of the rim. The brass must be fatiguing from age. It's a shame, because I like to reload the old paper and brass hulls.

scraggley
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:24 am  Reply with quote

I have a gun dealer friend who has been in the business since 1959. Knowing my interest in 16ga. he has given me many part boxes or lose 16ga. shells, some of which are paper ,rolled or pie crimp. Most of these shells appear to be in good condition ,not scuffed up or dampened. I have never had a misfire with any pie crimp shells. I use them interchangeably with plastic. The roll crimp shells only get shot once in a while and mostly on targets. One interesting item, there are lots of part boxes of 16ga. #4 and#2 lead in old shooters closets. I believe non-toxic side effect.

Art

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Jagdhund says:

Quote:
I have noticed that some of my brass head factory Federal ammo in 16 and 20 is splitting after the initial firing. Mostly longitudinally, but sometimes around the circumference of the rim. The brass must be fatiguing from age.

While age does not help as corrosion never sleeps, some of those Federals from that age split in either of the two ways you mentioned the first time they were fired when they were new! The brass is very thin.

I never liked Federals for reloading, even 50 years ago, because of this tendency to split. This is not of much consequence in a good modern gun, but leaking powder gas can be a problem with hammer guns. Back in 1964 I had a Federal 20 handload (just a wimpy 7/8 oz. load) burst around the rim in a Marlin Model 90 hammer pump (looks sorta like a Win Model 1897). The powder gas went back down the firing pin hole right into my unprotected shooting eye! Hurt like a SOB. Trip to the hospital. Specs of unburned powder still remain, imbedded in my cornea. No problem now, but the optometrists find them to this day, and wonder what they are. The upside of this event is that Dad bought me a brand new 20 ga Win Model 12 -- $65 on close-out sale! I still have it. I guess all the suckers were tired of those old-fashioned Model 12's and were waiting for that glorious new replacement, the 1200.

Of course modern Federal hulls are good to reload; their thick steel heads are quite strong. Biggest problem with them is primer pocket expansion. They fail by leaking gas and black combustion products around the primers after a couple of re-loads. No problem, except it just messes up your gun.

Oh . . . and one more thing to watch out for when shooting old shells -- corrosive priming. Not all the oldies had non-corrosive priming, and all new primers are much better in that regard.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:33 am  Reply with quote

MaxSmoke:

Many years ago, I bought one of the nifty Williams Primer Pocket Peening Tools to tighten loose primer pockets in Federal cases.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the old Marlin. I thought about buying one some years ago, as I had no hammer pump gun. Now I have access to a Winchester 1897 solid frame gun. I experienced a head separation with a very old UMC 7X57 case in a Mauser '93. I was not wearing shooting glasses. No permanent harm done, but it get's your attention.

kgb
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Nice collection, Skeettx! Your Monarks look to be older than mine, or at least the box looks older. Smile