16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheap Remington Game Loads at Bass Pro Shops
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:55 am  Reply with quote

onefunzr2,
I don't know how easy it is for Illinois gunners to have shells shipped in. I hear some places will ship if we fax or mail them a copy of our FOID (Firearm Owners Identication) card to keep on file. That said, it's a hump for me to connect with the UPS or FedEx man.

I live in an apartment and work nights. As such, I'm usually asleep when he comes, and I don't want a bunch of shells left at my door. In my neighborhood, they'd probably get boosted. And having 'em shipped to my place of work would result in some PC folk soiling their shorts and me in the HR office.

I really don't have much to complain about: There are two Gander Mountains within two hours of me. All I probably have to do to lay in a supply is take a ride. I think I've been spoiled by the Meijer store 20 minutes from my door stocking the 16 Remington and Winchester in No. 8. But it looks like they may not restock too often, so it's time to make a wee road trip.

I'm outta here for now, boys: Am taking the 16 and the 28 out for a bit of skeet. Smile
Tulsey
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:57 am  Reply with quote

Our local Bass Pro had an advertised sale on the 12 and 20 ga Rem dove loads lat $1.99 per box last week. The sale was for one day only and there was a limit of 20 boxes. The advertisement said no rain checks and only limited quantity. They opened at 9 am and according to some who were there they were out at 9:03 am. I got there a little after 10 and talked to a guy who said he got there at 9:15 and talked to people who were waiting outside when they opened and found them gone. Funny thing was the store was not that crowded like the huning week at the main Springfield store. I wonder how many flats they really had. Left a bad opinon on Bass Pro in my mind.
jph16ga
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been reading your posts and have the same problems with 16ga shells.
In the Pittsburgh area I've found Rem. Game Loads at Dick's, but usually only in #6 or 7 1/2. I like #8's better for skeet.
Just purchaed 2 cases of #8's (20 boxes) from Bass Pro Shoppes at $3.69 a box. Shipping was lower than I expected. $8.95 for the 2 cases. With the price of gas it seemed a lot cheaper than driving all over.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Here's my BPS narrative for the day...

I've been ordering from BP for a bit over a year, usually 1 or 2 flats at a time.

When you order on line, they do not discount for a flat so you pay 3.69 x 10 for a flat which will come to 36.90 which will cost you 7.95 for shipping ( i never got charged tax). You get a flat for 44.85 delivered to your doorstep.

Order 20 boxes (2 flats) and you pay 8.95 for shipping. Now you have 2 flats for 41.37 each. A third flat will cost more in shipping - 11.95 because it takes you over $100.

Here's the shipping cost breakdown from the BPS website: They have to go ground as hazardous material.
Total Price of Merchandise
Standard Delivery All 50 States

$0.00 - $15.00
$3.95

$15.01 - $30.00
$6.95

$30.01 - $50.00 (RGL starts here)
$7.95

$50.01 - $75.00
$8.95

$75.01 - $100.00
$9.95

$100.01 - $125.00
$11.95

$125.01 - $200.00
$12.95

Over $200.00
$13.95

Now, because they sometimes ship these things bunched in a box and without a discount for a flat (and UPS bangs them up pretty good on the way), I figured that 27 boxes of ammo got me to the next shipping fee break and the cheapest per box cost without going up to three flats (9.95 vs 11.95 in shipping). It never shipped and when I called them to find out why after about a week, they told me that they had a shipping issue and wanted to charge me about 40 bucks more to ship it - now based on the weight of the order rather than the price. We argued for about 10 minutes about the policy and they pointed to this part:

Some items require an additional shipping charge due to size, weight, or quantity ordered. If you are purchasing merchandise with additional shipping charges shown on the item page additional shipping charges will not be reflected in the shipping total, but will be added to your order.

I canceled that order, immediatley went online and reordered 20 boxes that shipped in one day and got to my house in about 5 days...no additional fees added. I've since ordered one more flat and was charged standard price. So it goes to show you that if you try something cute, they may catch it. It's still cheaper than almost anyone else in my area - with the standard shipping, of course. NJ sales tax is now 7% (Gov Corzine's gift to our state) so I would pay about $40 if I bought these at a store in my state at the BPS price.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

That's still a very good deal (ordering 1 flat at a time) when you factor in your time and gas, etc. The way everything has been going up in price lately, this is probably the best deal going for good, inexpensive 16 gauge ammo. Click-click-and it shows up at your door. What's not to like about that? Laughing
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

ww,
nice break down on the prices. Like I said Sunday, Dick's has the best price going but as we all know their supply is very limited. They get $36.90 per case, minus 10% plus tax.
BPS apparently understands the needs of 16ga shooters Very Happy and orders a fair amount of the 16ga in all shot sizes.
My 14 flats I recently picked up will last me for a while. Very Happy Very Happy But I will either take a ride for another "load" when I run low or have my wife pick it up when she goes to Harrisburg for a horse show. Either way I will continue to give them the business as long as they have the ammo.