16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hull torture test!!!!

which hulls do you like best
Federal Hi Power
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
Black Remington
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Green Remington
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Winchester Super X ribbed
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Winchester Compression Formed
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Cheddite (BPI Multi, Kent, etc)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Fiocchi
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
other not listed
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

pezman1963
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Here what I did, to discover which hulls would last the longest
I performed a controlled test.
The hulls in test are.
As follows
Remington Black (Med. Brass)
Remington Green (High Brass)
Winchester Super X Red (low brass ribbed made by Fiocchi)
Federal Hi Power Purple (Classic Hi-Brass)
BPI Multi Hull Green (high brass made by Cheddite)
Fiocchi Blue (Med. Brass Low base Wad.)

All Hulls were loaded with 17.4 Grains of Green Dot and a Winchester Primer
Straight walled cases were loaded BPI Sporting 16 wad
(Elio Gualandi Super G Wad) and tappered cases used the Remington R-16 wad. This loading was was projected to give 1165 FPS.
It did deliver 1150 plus or minus 10 fps in all hulls but Federal Hull which had only 1090. All the loading was done on a Lee Load-All II.
All the hulls were factory loaded and once fired except BPI Multi Hull and Fiocchi Blue. This week will be the 7th total firing for all except BPI Multi Hull and Fiocchi Blue.

Remington Black (Med. Brass)
The Hull stated not staying all the way open and showed some blackening with 3rd reloading. It still holding a crimp as of 6th reloading. The case mouth is getting brittle. So far its been the easiest to reload.

Remington Green (High Brass)

The Hull stated not staying all the way open and showed some blackening with 3rd reloading. It had a minor tear in the crimp area, and the edges of the mouth were getting abit jagged on reload 4 . It still holding a crimp as of 6th reloading. Minor cracks were appearent at the top edge of the crimp.
Had some above the brass hull wall compressing

Winchester Super X Red (low brass ribbed made by Fiocchi)

The mouth stayed open and case looked new till 3rd firing.
The edges of the mouth got ragged. On firing 4 there was 3 of spots above the brass hull wall compressing. A small tear on part crimp fold.
After the 5th reload 2 more spots above the brass hull wall compressing.
Its now on reload 6 it has an ugly but tight crimp.
This case may be unusable after this firing.

Federal Purple (Classic Hi-Brass)
Hands down as of reloading 6 this case is standing up the best.
Some minor blackening but the mouth is which is still staying all the way open. The paper base wad is intact other than some charring.
There was one tiny above the brass hull wall compression.
6th reload and the crimp is strong and fairly evan.

BPI Multi Hull Green (high brass made by Cheddite)
These hulls started the test late. Its on 4th loading and firing.
At first I had a hard time loading these. The crimps were deep and leaky.
I needed to 2 grains of puff wheat as a filler. 8 point crimps were leaky sans an over shot card. I started with 10 hulls. 8 were lost to severe case wall compression, while trying to form a crimp. 1 is still in the test.
It had minor blacking on the case mouth as of firing 3.
As this week its had its 4th reload and formed an uneven crimp

Fiocchi Blue (Med. Brass Low base Wad.)
This have been loaded but not fired yet. The Hulls are new.
The look promising as they easily formed perfect 6 or 8 point crimps.

I have some compression formed Winchester Hulls but did not use them in the test. In the past the were working well with 10 to 15 reloads before they were too worn out to use. They were the best Hull, but have not been made for a while.

Comments and Questions invited

PEZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Hmmmmm---Something else to take into account/consider---
1.Type of powder used
2.Type of wad used
3.Type of primer used
4.--MABEY most important----type of action used-- my 1100 will accellerate wear on a hull.
Let me know more info--you are onto something here--The 16 ga group would also be interested in this data
87016ga
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

my personal favorites are a tie between rem and federal, depending on what i am shooting......thats what i load for. skeet,5-stand,etc.....
there are a lot of other factors that come into play, lot #'s of the ammo, ambient temp and humidity, the guns that are actually being used,storage and shipping conditions etc....also reloading practices themselves.
i have had an occasion to throw away a whole flat of rem once fired hulls due to the hull splitting immediately, and have had others last into 10 reloadings. sometimes i think it's a crap shoot.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

870--You hit on something there BIGTIME----Sometimes hulls split on the first firing and other times they turn black and keep on ticking Cool I have a stash of the AA 16's and mostly use Remington Game Loads and they have a decent life with Unique,W209's and theSP16's and 3/4 oz homeshot with homemade filler.
pezman1963
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Hmmmmm---Something else to take into account/consider---
1.Type of powder used
2.Type of wad used
3.Type of primer used
4.--MABEY most important----type of action used-- my 1100 will accellerate wear on a hull.
Let me know more info--you are onto something here--The 16 ga group would also be interested in this data

Its being fired in single shot break open.
The powder and Primers were all the same.
The wads were matched to the type of hull.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Pez--have ya chronoyed any of these ?????
pezman1963
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:

All but the blue Fiocchi.
All were right around 1150 except for the federal hull.
That one was 1090.
pezman1963
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

pezman1963 wrote:
hoashooter wrote:

All but the blue Fiocchi.
All were right around 1150 except for the federal hull.
That one was 1090.

the test was done at the 5th firing.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:22 am  Reply with quote

I just pitch them if they start getting worn out, heavily burned or split, not worth it to try and stretch the life on a 2 cent piece of plastic and blow a limb off..just my two cents worth.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:05 am  Reply with quote

WOW-impressive work pezman! Shocked And I thought I was obsessive-compulsive Laughing

old16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
WOW-impressive work pezman! Shocked And I thought I was obsessive-compulsive Laughing

I thought I was the only one who was a fanitic about reloading. I'll bet his bench is neater than mine.

bigric
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

I've been marking the heads on some of my hulls as I load them to keep track. I have your experience with the Remingtons--black mouths after 2-3 firings and the mouths get bad about the same time. The Federals show no wear and I'm up to five reloadings on some of them.

The Remingtons are loaded exclusively as light loads for my wife--W209, Unique, 7/8 oz, R16, 1200 fps. The Federals have seen all kinds of loads from 7/8 at 1200 fps to 1 oz 1350 fps, using both the SG16 and R16 wads.

I'm curious where your work leads.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Be very careful about reloading any shell with a pressed fiber or rolled cardboard base wad past 2 reloadings. This has been discussed at length before on this board. Check each hull of this type with a dowel to make sure the base wad has not loosened. the biggest problem with them aside from moisture is the deprime/reprime operation. This is where the base wads get worn, loosened, and pushed forward in the metal head. upon firing the shell, gas gets under the wad and it ends up as part of the ejecta.

You will not usually know that the basewad has ended up in your barrel until it is too late unless you visually check the bore. This is easy with a break open gun, but pumps and autos are not so easy to check. It is routine on a clays course. However, in common hunting situations, many of use tend to forget doing this after the excitement of downing and retrieving a bird, admiring the same, laughing and carrying on with our buddies, sorting out the dogs etc,.

I use Remington hulls, Cheddite type, or Fiocchi hulls for multiple reloadings of more than 2 because the base wads are plastic and will hold up better. The Rio hull looks like a decent hull to reload too for the same reason. I still check all polyformed hulls of any type, but I've yet to see a plastic basewad loosen up before the shell mouth is junk.

I have noticed that Estate is using a plastic base wad in their 28 gauge hulls. I'm hoping the same will be done with all Federal/Estate cases in the near future. Until them, I will avoid usuing Federal 16 ga hulls for more than 2 reloadings and would strongly recommend the same for everyone else unless they are absolutely sure about the integrity of the hull. your guns and your well being are worth far more than the few cents you save by reloading a hull a few more times than is prudent.