16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16g trap
b.randzin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:57 am  Reply with quote

I just joined a club and have friends that shoot trap. Does anyone out there use there 16g for trap. If so what guns do you use as well as chokes preferred and loads. I would appreciate any help and info.

Bruce
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:05 am  Reply with quote

Welcome Bruce and check out this previous thread:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=948
Probably couldn't do better than a Mod or Full choke M-12 (which once took it all at the Grand per unsubstantiated legend)

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:07 am  Reply with quote

Any full choked 16 ga gun will do for informal singles. 7/8 ounce of #8 are fine. I'd not use the average 1 ounze all purpose load. they kick too much for comfortable use.

If you are going into league shooting or registered birds, only a decent 12 ga trap gun will do. You will not be able to adequately compete with a 16 or even the average 12 gauge field gun.

With all due respect to unsubstantiated legends, today's trap is a game of precision. Good scores start at a consistant average of 95 out of 100 birds. Anything under this will put you in the hole in a hurry. It takes good instruction, the proper eguipment including the right gun set up the right way, and lots of dedicated practice to get to there. One trip to a registered trap shoot will teach you more that anything else about what it takes to compete.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot trap regularly (not registered) with my citori lightning feather 16. I typically use Remington Game Loads 7.5 1oz shot - sometimes 8s. That's really because it's the cheapest stuff I can get and I don't reload. We're talking less than 100 rounds of shot a week and a few more if I go twice. I use the mod choke at 16 yds and the full from anything farther - shooting 27yds once in a while for fun. I've never patterned it so I'm not 100% sure if that setup is optimal but I typically break around 20-23 targets per round so that makes me happy.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't shot a lot of trap, but have a model 12 16 ga. full choke plain barrel field gun that I use on pheasants, ducks and trap and at up to 20 yards the gun is capable of breaking all the birds one deserves; further away it is a 12 ga. game.

I don't shoot registered birds but have been involved in some shoot-offs that test the skill now and again. The 16 is a great trap gun for 16 yard singles. If I were a money shooter I'd buy a 12 ga. Model 12 trap grade.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

What little trap I do shoot The A-5 with full choke is my choice Wink
Pete
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

I do not understand why you guys prefer 12ga. over 16ga.I have not shot trap for over 35 years and I used to use a Browning Broadway superpose 12ga. and in those days all we had were Savage 410ers and we would shoot all the back at the 24 foot mark and break birds. Now with that said I can't understand why you would underestimate the ability of a 16ga loaded with 1oz off shot traveling at 1200 fps. to do the job. I am not trying to start an argument I am just curious why you prefer the 12 ga is it because you get 1/8 or 1/4 oz. more shot. I think a 16ga that probably patterns better than a 12ga would be a big advantage.
Pete
87016ga
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

i don't shoot much trap, mostly 5-stand and skeet. but out to 20 yrds, the modified choke in my 870 and some hand made 1oz of #71/2's do great.
by the way,my skeet choke came in the mail today from brileys Very Happy Very Happy
come on saturday Exclamation i'm wishing the next two days of my life away Shocked
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot 16g and 12g field guns at trap. The 16g SxS does fine with IM choke from 16 to 23yds. I enjoy the shooting and find the social gathering great. The money makers all shoot high end dedicated trap guns while the rest of us use hunting guns to sharpen our eye for bird season. Those with chokes switch from mod to IM to full. The money boys shoot full and they are goood... Shocked The rest of us need a little pattern help(slop). The 16g loads I use are 1OZ. reloads of #8 shot and then factory Federal, Rem., or Win. when I need hulls for reloading. They all break birds when I do my part..
Best,
Ron
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I use my Citori Feather in 16 ga for trap every Sunday (100 rds) and Sporting Clays (100-150 rds) when I get someone to go with. I shoot the Rem Game Loads (just picked up 14 flats) in 7.5's and 8's when I can get them.
I shoot Full Choke tubes when shooting trap, various when shooting SC. Gun and ammo works for me.

I don't reload, thus the RGL's.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:55 am  Reply with quote

For those who only shoot recreational and fun trap, a 16 gauge gun with a longish barrel and weighing over 7 lbs will do for singles and maybe out to 23 yards. However, just like a 20 ga gun cannot pattern as well as a 16 with 1 ounce of shot, neither can a 16 pattern as well as a 12 with 1-1/8 ounce of shot. Its a matter of bore size. You cannot get past the laws of physics.

Under some circumstances, 1 ounce or even 7/8 ounce of shot is adequate for singles and close handicap birds, but once you reach the back fence at 25 to 27 yards, only 1-1/8 ounce of hard #7-1/2 shot will do the job under all circumstances.

Further, you will not progress in trap unless you commit to practice from the long distances. That is the key to improvement in handicap and singles shooting. That friends, is 12 ga full choke territory. It is the distance at which even small errors in form and execution will cost you birds. Poorly chosen equipment and ammo will too. Few club shooters will subject themselves to such determined practice. However, it is manditory if you wish to excel at the game.

Practice and master shooting trap at the long hard ranges with a well set up 12 ga trap gun and you will compete well at any range. If not, and unless you are a very rare and gifted shooter, you will be stuck in the short ranges and lower classes for a long, long time.
old16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:18 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Any full choked 16 ga gun will do for informal singles. 7/8 ounce of #8 are fine. I'd not use the average 1 ounze all purpose load. they kick too much for comfortable use.

If you are going into league shooting or registered birds, only a decent 12 ga trap gun will do. You will not be able to adequately compete with a 16 or even the average 12 gauge field gun.

With all due respect to unsubstantiated legends, today's trap is a game of precision. Good scores start at a consistant average of 95 out of 100 birds. Anything under this will put you in the hole in a hurry. It takes good instruction, the proper eguipment including the right gun set up the right way, and lots of dedicated practice to get to there. One trip to a registered trap shoot will teach you more that anything else about what it takes to compete.

With all do respect I do understand what you are saying about the 12ga for trap. However with all that said it is all in the mind. The 16 throws the same fullchoke pattern as the twelve. If you are shooting a 1oz load it does not matter what the size of the bore is whether it comes form a 16 or a 12 a 1oz is a 1oz.
I have shot trap many years and I shoot about as much with a 16 as I do with a 12. I think I take more money with my 16 mod 12 than I do with my 101 win. Yardage does not make any difference.
Yes equipment does make a difference if you get used to it. Several years back I saw a young fellow come to the club to shoot on our money shoots. He had a Mod. 12, 12 gauge. Staight stock not pistol grip. He shot low gun. He would call Bird when the bird was about 3 to 4 feet above the house he would pull up and blast the hell out of that bird. I told hime he was a fine shooter and he should shoot registered. He said the people were to up tight all the time. After a couple of months he was gone but I really enjoyed shooting with him and watching him. That young fellow was really cleanning house.
My point is if you think you really need all of that stuff then you do. Some will be to your advantage but most is just a gimmic. Its all in the mind.

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:38 am  Reply with quote

Well Bruce now you have it. Trap is not fun unless you dedicate your life and soul to the 12g Trap Gun. Shocked I thought everyone shot for recreation and fun-silly me. Wink In case you are a more carefree shooter a 16 is fun and has a neat following as well. Cool Registered shoots are where you see the best shooters and can learn a great deal. The local clubs I have visited have people grouping together according to their skill and attitudes. They all have fun in their own way. Our local club lends its self to the relaxed shooter. I hope yours has the same feeling. The IM choke in a 16g with 1OZ of shot either #8 or #7.5 can provide a rewarding experience and make you a better shooter for the coming season.
Good shooting,
Ron
b.randzin
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies

Bruce
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Old 16, with all due respect to you, there is a big difference between local weekend club fun league shooting and registered ATA trap and/or a federated league of clubs over a fairly wide area. The difference in cost between the two is huge. Its hardly fair of someone to lead folks to believe they stand a chance of competing with a 16 ga gun if they are going to shoot registered birds or big league shooting for money.

Your personal gauge for success and satisfaction might be in your mind, but out in the real world, it just is not so. When all is said and done, I very much doubt you will be in the winners circle very often without a properly fitted and set up 12 ga. trap gun--at least in the leagues and many registered shoots I've been to. The winning shooters will eat you alive.

I've been in the game for some time too, travel several thousand miles a year, and probably spend in excess of $5000 every season shooting both registered ATA targets and serious regional league shooting in all three events--singles, doubles, and handicap. I could not afford to do this if I did not win a fair share of my money back every year. In all that time, I have never, repeat, never, seen anyone even attempt to seriously compete with any ga other than a 12.

At some point the rest of the folks reading this will have to make up their own minds about what is real and what is wishful thinking. Like I said, one trip to a decent sized ATA registered shoot will clear matters up in a hurry as to proper equipment and how serious they want to be. After all, to shoot all three events at a simple Sunday registered shoot means plunking down at least $120 for target fees alone. That does not begin to cover the option fees. Figure in the cost of ammo, travel, lodging and food expenses and--well I'm certain folks get the picture.

For fun shooting, gauge does not really matter. I have no quarrel with those folks who shoot the smalller gauges. I welcome them as long as they are safe, competant gun handlers. It takes all kinds to make a good club. My club is a very friendly one. But I would not do try it for money, not against a decent shot with a 12 ga. I never confuse or mix the two forms of shooting.

When the money is on the line, give me my tried and true, perfectly fitted and set up 12 ga TMX or my equally fitted and set up MX8 doubles gun. You are welcome to shoot your 16 if you wish. In fact. if you are competing against me for a purse, I hope you do.