16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  orange...
english16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:03 am  Reply with quote

...so why all the orange chaps? Is it legislation or just safety?
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:14 am  Reply with quote

It's a bit of both. During the deer season, some jurisdictions require orange to cover so many square inches above the waist and a hat to boot. Other states have different requirements. Safety is formost and is a good idea when hunting with others for flushing birds and quick decisions. Many hunting areas are thicker cover and your companions can get lost of sight yet be in range of even small shot. It pays to be careful, style is secondary.

Reno

english16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:50 am  Reply with quote

Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
It's a bit of both. During the deer season, some jurisdictions require orange to cover so many square inches above the waist and a hat to boot. Other states have different requirements. Safety is formost and is a good idea when hunting with others for flushing birds and quick decisions. Many hunting areas are thicker cover and your companions can get lost of sight yet be in range of even small shot. It pays to be careful, style is secondary.

Reno

I just find it funny that in the confines of the UK there is not such practice. You'd be looked at as mad wearing bright colours out stalking/shooting etc. I agree fully with your sentiment, it does pay to be careful. However accidental shootings in the field are incredibly rare over here and very rarely due to people 'not seeing' someone.
I'd love to see a chap in full tweed with a orange blazer on!
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Remember, our hunting is not "organized."

We have much public land and people are allowed
to go out and hunt it in season.

So you do not know who or how many will be in this plot
of ground.

Me?, I hunt only in areas that I can control and usually
have a section or two to myself. But that is Texas.

Mike

english16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:10 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Remember, our hunting is not "organized."

We have much public land and people are allowed
to go out and hunt it in season.

So you do not know who or how many will be in this plot
of ground.

Me?, I hunt only in areas that I can control and usually
have a section or two to myself. But that is Texas.

Mike

That's exactly it. Over here you know pretty damn well who's about. the real problem is walkers/ramblers. They can a royal pain in the arse. Shot safety is taken very very seriously, especially with rifles and a shot should never be taken without a solid backstop-doesn't stop people doing it though.
IDcut
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:25 am  Reply with quote

In the state I live, approximately 65% of the land is either owned by the Federal or State government, predominately Federal. As Skeet alludes to, most is open to hunting, therefore, anyone can hunt the ground.

I'm comfortable with the folks I choose to hunt with, but believe me, there are a few nimrods running around in the woods who seem to have difficulty identifying their target before shooting. It seems every year someone is mistaken for an elk or deer and accidently shot. The orange clothing takes some of the mis-identification out of the equation.

It's not required in Idaho to wear the orange for big game or bird hunting, but I do, for my own safety.
english16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:35 am  Reply with quote

IDcut wrote:
In the state I live, approximately 65% of the land is either owned by the Federal or State government, predominately Federal. As Skeet alludes to, most is open to hunting, therefore, anyone can hunt the ground.

I'm comfortable with the folks I choose to hunt with, but believe me, there are a few nimrods running around in the woods who seem to have difficulty identifying their target before shooting. It seems every year someone is mistaken for an elk or deer and accidently shot. The orange clothing takes some of the mis-identification out of the equation.

It's not required in Idaho to wear the orange for big game or bird hunting, but I do, for my own safety.

That's it, stupidity and firearms is a terrible combination. I know a chap (not a mate) and he is the last person I'd give a rifle licence to, yet he has a 30-06, .308 and a handgun for 'dispatch'-the handgun gets used for tin can shooting more than dispatching deer/boar. As I'm sure you're aware the attitude to hand guns is rather different over here, and apart from serious deer management I cannot see a reason to own one (apart for fun).
I wouldn't go shooting with some people I know cos as far as I'm concerned they're a bunch of cowboys and an accident waiting to happen.
It is way harder to get a shotgun or rifle license over here and involves interviews and medical checks. Sadly it doesn't include idiot checks.
steve voss
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:20 am  Reply with quote

english16 wrote:
As I'm sure you're aware the attitude to hand guns is rather different over here, and apart from serious deer management I cannot see a reason to own one (apart for fun).

Sorry, if I lived in a country with three times the violence rate of ours, one could certainly figure out a reason.

english16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:42 am  Reply with quote

steve voss wrote:
english16 wrote:
As I'm sure you're aware the attitude to hand guns is rather different over here, and apart from serious deer management I cannot see a reason to own one (apart for fun).

Sorry, if I lived in a country with three times the violence rate of ours, one could certainly figure out a reason.

Point taken and noted, but you the shooter would end up in the slammer quicker than the criminal ever would, and for much longer. Although crime rates in UK are high guns don't often come into the equation. If you threaten someone breaking into your home with a gun you'll be in the brown stuff far quicker than they will be. Same goes for assaulting them in pretty much any way. Absolutely ridiculous situation, but that is the way it is.
If someone assaults you and you have rifle or shotgun certificate there is a bloody good chance you'll get your guns taken away while the situation is investigated.
I think the anti handgun attitude in the UK is very much a cultural conditioning thing. they are basically viewed as anti personnel weapons.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:06 am  Reply with quote

English16
here is some interesting reading for you from my
home state of Texas

http://www.rc123.com/texas_castle_doctrine.html

Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:12 am  Reply with quote

My State does not require blaze orange for upland hunting. It is a good idea to wear orange in areas that get large numbers of deer hunters.

I have a funny Anglo-American story for you. So my son gets a new English friend who comes over to the house, we meet and make small talk. Oh course I'm a gun nut so the question of hunting comes up The boy tells me how he and his father used to shoot "Woodies" on their "permission". I smiled and thought what the hell does that mean? I meet the boy's father and we talk about hunting. I show him some English hardware (Birmingham stuff, the best makers have escaped my wallet thus far). The Englishman was transferred here by his company and all of his guns are in England. I invite him on a hunt with some buddies and I set him up with one of my guns.

This English gent shows up in plus twos (I think thats what they are called) socks with the little tassel, a collared shirt with tie, and a paper boy hat. This was for a dove hunt. Now here in the Southwest is hotter than hell in September, this poor bastard was cooking right in front of me. After the morning hunt I took him to the local Walmart and as he put it "he was properly Americanized" with a Boonie hat, and full desert camouflage. He said "I look like a bloody Royal Marine". Good times. The language is the same (mostly) but our culture is so different it makes for awkward but funny moments sometimes.

Since that first meeting many years ago I now know what Woodies are, and I would love to shoot them on a permission. Smile I watch "Fieldsport tv, and "The Shooting Show" on youtube all the time so now I am fluent in English. Twisted Evil
english16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Cheers! So my understanding is that you are allowed to use deadly force if someone is breaking into your house, a house you are (for example) passing, aggravated robbery and host of other scenarios that I would deem such deadly force as necessary than the law is on your side?
Seems fair to be honest.
My house was broken into this year by some junkies while I was asleep upstairs. My question is would they have broken in if we had such laws. I have 3 young kids, so you can imagine my opinion.

Last edited by english16 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
english16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Brian Meckler wrote:
My State does not require blaze orange for upland hunting. It is a good idea to wear orange in areas that get large numbers of deer hunters.

I have a funny Anglo-American story for you. So my son gets a new English friend who comes over to the house, we meet and make small talk. Oh course I'm a gun nut so the question of hunting comes up The boy tells me how he and his father used to shoot "Woodies" on their "permission". I smiled and thought what the hell does that mean? I meet the boy's father and we talk about hunting. I show him some English hardware (Birmingham stuff, the best makers have escaped my wallet thus far). The Englishman was transferred here by his company and all of his guns are in England. I invite him on a hunt with some buddies and I set him up with one of my guns.

This English gent shows up in plus twos (I think thats what they are called) socks with the little tassel, a collared shirt with tie, and a paper boy hat. This was for a dove hunt. Now here in the Southwest is hotter than hell in September, this poor bastard was cooking right in front of me. After the morning hunt I took him to the local Walmart and as he put it "he was properly Americanized" with a Boonie hat, and full desert camouflage. He said "I look like a bloody Royal Marine". Good times. The language is the same (mostly) but our culture is so different it makes for awkward but funny moments sometimes.

Since that first meeting many years ago I now know what Woodies are, and I would love to shoot them on a permission. Smile I watch "Fieldsport tv, and "The Shooting Show" on youtube all the time so now I am fluent in English. Twisted Evil

That just had me in stitches! Good stuff!
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:25 am  Reply with quote

Here in Maine, one is not required to wear orange except during deer season - roughly the month of November. I grew up hunting in Pennsylvania which, since the 70s, has required orange for almost all hunting (except archery deer, primitive muzzleloader deer in the late-season, ducks and spring turkey, IIRC).

Regardless, I wear an orange hat and vest any time I'm hunting (don't presently hunt ducks...) for my own safety. When my dog went out with me, she wore an orange vest which saved her life. She's a Gordon Setter and a hunter almost mistook her for a bear.

As it is, even wearing orange is no guarantee. A couple years ago a deer hunter properly attired in orange was shot by mistake by another deer hunter. The victim - he died - was mistaken for a deer because he was rattling antlers to draw in a deer and the shooter's mind filled in the blanks. The shooter was himself a very experienced hunter - in his early 60s and hunting all his life. He went to prison and will never hunt again (nor own a gun).
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

I live and hunt in Northwestern Pennsylvania almost exclusively on public land (Pa. State Game Lands) and I wouldn't be caught dead - horrific thought - not wearing orange . Heck I'd wear orange boots if I could find them . I have orange vests , coats , chaps and hats . Being seen is pretty damn important here on public ground .