16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Picked up an A5 16ga...
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Stocks are fun. It is amazing how much character a piece of wood can have if you just finish it in the right way.

The three stocks could not be more different. The stories left to right:

1) This was a very fine peice of wood, a flat knob (ugly) stock on an upgrade A5. On a duck hunt in the early '70's it snapped clean through at the wrist. The owner of the gun replaced it but the wood was so nice he could not throw it away. 25 years later he dug it out and gave it to me. I epoxied it up, cut the flat knob off and filed and sanded it to shape as a straight stock. I recut the checkering pattern to match the factory pattern from the '20s. and fit it to one of my 12's. It's now getting the slow build up of hand rubbed finish,

2) the second was from eBay. I watched a bag of misc parts get bid up beyond my limit and after the bid I emailed the winner, I correctly assumed what he really wanted was the barrel and I got him to sell me the stock and a straight tang trigger group for a reasonable price. When I got the wood I was shocked it was as white as snow....looked bleached. I normally shun stain but had no choice. Remarkable the stain revealed some really nice figure and it looks good.

3) this is a factory stock, never mounted, old inventory with a matte poly finish. It was probably made for the european market. It is butt ugly. (pun intended) but will make for a solid stock for a shooter. And who knows what a hand rubbed finish might reveal? There may be some hidden beauty in the wood.

Sorry for running on like this.....