16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Joseph Lang & Sons, London.? anybody know their history?
jerseyGSP
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone know the history or time frame of this maker. I have a nice 16 by them but know nothing of the makers. Any information would be appreciated.
-thanks for the help
-G-
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:10 am  Reply with quote

A very old outfit, even for a British gunmaker, dating back to 1821. Merged with Grant in 1925, still in business as Atkin, Grant and Lang.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:54 am  Reply with quote

As Larry said Land is one of the grand old names in English gunmaking.
There's about 2 pages of historical material plus a page of serial numbers in Nigel Brown's British Gunmakers Vol 1. So, it would help if you had a specific question or serial number you wanted to know about.
Can say that marked "Jos Lang & Son" dates it as 1875-1898 or 1901-1925.
If you want a letter on the gun, the records are currently with Atkin, Grant and Lang Ltd.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
jerseyGSP
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for the info. the guns s/n is #167xx. A great looking double. Ill be triing to get a letter. thanks again for the help
-G-
sbs470
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:25 am  Reply with quote

As foursquare says Nigel Browns wonderful book ,London Gunmakers Vol 1 gives a detailed account of their history.
The late Don Masters wrote a book called Atkins Grant and Lang -A Detailed History of Enduring Gunmakers. I cannot give a review on this book at the moment as I havent yet recieved it .The wife has it hidden somewhere.Birthday present,and that is on Tuesday the 15th so give me a few days to read it.If it is like his previous book(The House of Churchill) it will be great reading.
good shooting
sbs470
scotgun
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:36 am  Reply with quote

Agree, both are excellent books. As mentioned on the "English 16'", I recently acquired a Lang 16 bore made circa 1877. Damascus barrels had been proved for 2 3/4" nitro. I am not keen about the underlever and the extractors are taking a bit of getting used to and I definately struggle a bit with cocking the hammers, but the fun of shooting her mades it all worth while. Of course I had the stock lengthened about 3". All I have shot so far is sporting clays, but plans are in place for driven pheasants in Scotland this coming November.(With 2 1/2" cartridges and assuming the airlines are still flying)
scotgun

Update: Just returned from Scotland. Shot the Atkins 16 Bore (not a Lang) as stated above for one day. Quite a struggle, particularly dealing with the extractors in the rain and wearing gloves. BUT- the results were comparable to the top lever Dickson round action with ejectors. Perhaps I was much more selective in shots teken since the reloading sequence was so much slower. At any rate I will be shooting it again next year.
Scotgun

Last edited by scotgun on Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:18 am  Reply with quote

jerseyGSP wrote:
thanks for the info. the guns s/n is #167xx. A great looking double. Ill be triing to get a letter. thanks again for the help
-G-

Without knowing the last 2 digits, the serial puts it in the 1926-28 timeframe. Which means it should be marked "Stephen Grant & Jos Lang Ltd". But since it's marked Jos Lang & Son it was prolly made in '25.
Let us know what the letter says.
Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."