16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  trap league
kennedy756
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

anyone shooting their 16 ga in a trap league? I was at the trap range today with my browning citori lightening and some fellas asked me to join their team. They were one man short and it starts next tuesday. Its handicapped and I usually hit about 20/25. Its 2 rds one at 16 yard and one at 20ys, so we will see what happenes.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:57 am  Reply with quote

Yep. 16ga in Trap, Skeet, leagues (but haven't shot league last couple years due to workload) and all clay games....the 2- 16y & 20y handicapped rounds sounds like some challenging fun.

Best of luck to you and your new team....

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Shot my Rizzini 16 gauge target gun last year in league — where trap, skeet and 5 Stand are all shot. Finished 3rd — and beat out dozens of 12 gauge shooters in the process. Some shooters excel at trap, others at skeet, most fall apart somewhat at 5-Stand — but the 16 handled each target game equally well. Have fun.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Shoot it all. Never had problem put the 12's out at any yardage or position.
Good luck. That 16 can do it all.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Back when I was on the dark side,used either a sweet or standard 16---oh yeah with Blue Dot.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot my 16 ga Citori in a skeet league, only occasional trap. I'm inching ever closer to that 50 straight. I get comments all the time about the short barrels and then even more when they find out it's a 16; most didn't realize it is still relevant.

One club I went to however had a team of older gentlemen who loved the 16, and before Covid they would have a 16 ga shoot every year. They loved the fact that I shot a 16, even though they all shot 12's in the match. We talked for a good hour after the match about our older guns, side-by's and others. I asked them to put me on the contact list if they ever had another 16 ga shoot, would be a fun time with a good bunch of guys.

If there's a downside, you probably won't be able to borrow somebody else's shells if you have an ammo problem or run out. I usually bring an extra box to the match, just in case.

Best of luck to you, enjoy shooting that 16 in a world of 12's.

FWIW, the first time my daughter shot trap, she scored an 18 using her 20 gauge, they asked her to join but she declined. It all can be done.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:45 am  Reply with quote

Citori16 wrote:

If there's a downside, you probably won't be able to borrow somebody else's shells if you have an ammo problem or run out. I usually bring an extra box to the match, just in case.

Last month I was shooting 5 stand and the guy to my right needed a shell on the last station. As he started to walk back to the table to get some I said here you go and handed him a 16 ga. shell. He smiled and said that would only happen with you guys. He was shooting a 16.

Many of my friends shoot 16's and are on here. Sometimes we will have a full squad all shooting the 16. Skeet, Super Sporting, 5 Stand, Sporting Clays. Anything but trap not a one of us shoot trap anymore. I shot enough trap when my youngest son was shooting ATA and registered birds. I can hear them shoot trap at a club down the hill from me on Sunday mornings and Tuesday evenings. I don't miss shooting trap.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:23 am  Reply with quote

And ... If you really want to blow their minds in league show up with a side x side -- better yet a side x side 16 gauge. I've done that too with comments like, "Is that a family heirloom?" or "Do they still make those?"

Finished first this weekend in 5-stand competition shooting my Upland Gun Company Venus 12 gauge. Beat out a lot of target 12 gauge guns in the process wit a 6lb side by side choked skeet and modified with 28-inch barrels.

Too much fun.