16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Minneapolis Gun Club Vintage Shoot -- August 23rd
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

The 3rd annual Minneapolis Gun Club Vintage Shoot will be held on August 23rd this year. We're trying hard to make it a tradition. Entrants can shoot Skeet, Trap and 5-Stand, and High Gun is the sum of those scores. There are small prizes (so far) for the many gun/event categories, and repeaters (pumps and autos) up to '64 are eligible, SxS of course, and O/U's too. Check with shoot management, though, if you think your gun might marginally qualify. There is a trophy for best skeet score with a Cutts equipped gun -- The Cutts Comp Cup. It's a clubhouse trophy, so you can't take it home, but you get your name on it, and you can drink champagne from it! Very Happy I think we'll have at least two squads of Cutts equipped skeet guns this year (sorry no PolyChokes, or other almost-look-alikes). Everybody's buying one now -- still cheap. I have a spare Cutts equipped gun if you want, and since it's skeet, you can even share a gun within the same squad, so there's no excuse not to enter, really Wink . If you guys holler loud enough, we might create a 16 gauge classification. Check out the club site http://mplsgunclub.com/ and look at the schedule of events, etc. Come on up or down or over and shoot the MGC Vintage Event!!
popplecop
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:00 am  Reply with quote

I have a very nice Browning A5 16 from 1932. It is cased in a Browning wood and leather case and had its PolyChoke installed at the Browning facility in St. Louis back then. Now this apparently is not considered a vintage A5, why isn't it allowed?

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:00 am  Reply with quote

popplecop-the way I read his post all pre '64 repeaters are eligible so your '32 should be fine. Just not in their cuts only event.

Shooting Sioux- I put it on the calendar but can you turn down the heat this year-last year was brutal!! Crying or Very sad

Doggai
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Is it required that all of the events must be signed up for?

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Doggai -- No, you certainly don't have to sign up for everything, and you certainly can just show up and sign up -- no advance sign-up necessary. Shoot whatever you want, however much you want.

Popplecop -- Your gun is certainly eligible, just as Savage16 has indicated. You can shoot any game with it, but it just doesn't meet the criteria for winning the Cutts Comp Cup. The Cutts Comp Cup goes to high score in skeet using a shotgun equipped with a genuine Cutts Compensator -- just like Clark Gable and all those guys in the old days used Cool. By the way, the Kolar-made direct copy Cutts Comp is not eligible -- go figure.

This is actually a very "loose criteria" vintage shoot. If I had my way, only guns made prior to 1940 or maybe even earlier, and those of like type made later would be eligible. That would leave us with only the A-5's and Remington Model 11's, Winchester Model 11's and arguably the Winchester Model 40. It wouldn't make a lot of difference, but it would cut out the 870's and all post-war Remington Autos, and it would leave Y-serialed Model 12's eligible. However, as you can imagine, club politics being what they are, somebody thought 1964 was "old", so pre-'64 is the only criteria for gun eligibility.
robp
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:03 am  Reply with quote

If we can get a 16 gauge classification I would be happy to make a trophy. Of course the winner would have to drink brown liquor out of it. Very Happy
Doggai
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 am  Reply with quote

I love it when a politician, who doesn't want to vote for something answers with . . .
"there are many unanswered questions". That's usually because no one remembers what questions were not asked.

So . . . SxS guns from England?

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

RobP did the woodwork (the nifty base) on the Cutts Comp Cup. With Rob on the Job, I can guarantee you'll be drinking your brown liquor (bourbon? Whisky?, whiskey?, rum?) from a nice trophy, and it will look good in the photo you show your grandchildren -- especially with that brown liquor running down your neck.

Maybe we should be using laurel wreaths as crowns and neck adornments . . . hmmm. . . . "The day you won your town the race, We chaired you through the market place. Man and boy stood cheering by, And home we brought you shoulder-high. . . . " And all that A.E. Housman stuff. Cheers!