16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  THE GRAND
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Gentlemen:

Stopped by the GRAND at the World Shooting Complex in Sparta, IL today (on the way back from Memphis TN) for a load of drooling, some sightseeing, and general fun experiences. I was TRULY pleased (except that I had to drive a LONNNGGGG way around the entrance to get in to the complex - had the roads one way as they were worried about traffic jams). I was there from 11:30 to 4:30 pm. I did not see any of you, although I saw and spoke to about 20 of my local shooting colleagues and I spoke with about 200 or so other shooters as I shopped. All I spoke too thought the location was good (albeit HOT today) and all were having fun. A few of the vendors commented that the "crowds were down", but I attribute that to a new place, a weekday, and the heat - time will tell.

Pulled up between the vendors mall (west end) and the shell shed and low and behold there was a parking spot on the front row! Got out, stretched my legs and changed shoes into some walkers and set off for the main buildiing. Nice inside and LOTS of folks signing up for the ATA and events (I was goint to shoot Sunday in the 200 bird Winchester open, but duty calls and I won't get to go). Slipped out of the building and went through the shell shed and asked Gamaleil if they had an 16 ga shells - "NO'. Any 20s - "about 5 cases of AA at $60 per case". They did have reasonable prices on a LOT of 12 ga stuff - Rios, Nobel Sport for under $35 per case. Left that building and went to vendors mall (droolers heaven) - spent about 1.5 hours there. Bought:

3 bob allen shooting shirts - long-sleeve $9.95 EACH
8 lbs green dot $90 (about same price I get at the club)
2 boyt pistol rugs $6.95 EACH (for home defense you know Wink )
redhead pheasant game vest (blaze sholders, tan, front entry) $10
bag of 500 shotgun patches

Looked at a LOT of trap guns. I found some sxs in 12, 20 and 28 ga - mix and match - mostly modern. Nothing I could do without. Saw a LOT of browning 525s etc... in 20, 28, and 410 with up to 32 inch barrels. NO 16 ga in the vendors mall. There was a Merkel 410, but barrels were 26 so I did not even pick up.

Went back to NRA store and signed up for another 3 year stint - normal cost $85 - at the GRAND it is $75 for 3 years AND got 2 boxes of 12 ga AA 1 1/8 oz light 8s to boot. too cool....

Dropped off the goodies at the truck, grabbed the 16 ga LC Smith barrels and went looking for Mt. Dew (liquid elixer from the gods - must have been because a bottle was $2.00). Got the dew and grabbed a ride on the shuttle to the FAR east end (3.5 miles end-to-end) so I could walk back through the vendors tent area.

Strolled on back and had accumulated:

straw hat - NO FLY ZONE
coyote gear insulated leather shooting gloves $10/pair

AND had stopped at Wright's Gunsmith - had called earlier to find out if Wright's would be there. You may recall that I have recenlty aquired a 16 ga LC FW and the chokes are TIGHT and the forcing cones needed to be lengthened. Stepped into the gunsmith area, introduced myself to Mr. Wright (great pun) and asked if he could do 16 ga barrels. He thought I meant there and said, gasp, "NO" and I meant could I leave the barrels - once we got on the same page, Ms. Elsie's barrels stayed with Mr. Wright (another great pun) for a forcing cone job, chamber reaming, and chokes to be opened up to IC and LM (after checking to see if .650 barrels). Should get barrels back in mail in 3-4 weeks - will report on work.

In the afternoon, I saw a LC 20 ga (not as good as shape as my LC 16 FW) with a price of $3500 on it Shocked . Also saw an Ithaca 4e with upgraded wood (reblued) with a price tag of $2300 on it Shocked . Both of these stayed out of my truck - why do folks ask so much - oh, because some fools will part with their funds. I came close to a Charles Daly 20 ga sxs for $1100 - wood upgrade, single trigger, fixed chokes, 28 inch - the barrels had the gold engraved band at the reciever. BUT it looked like someone had spilled something all over the barrels as the bluing was really patchy. Since it wasn't a 16 I did not wish to experiment.

Found 10 boxes of Monarch 16 ga 1 1/8 oz 8s sitting on a vendor table, but someone else was looking first and ended up buying them all for $50. Upon close inspection while the gentleman (not a 16 ga shooter Mad ) was paying it was clear that these boxes had been wet at some point and about 1/3 of the shells showed some swelling and sicoloration. WATCH for these on ebay and be careful. They have the Mallard on the front of the box - the Gentleman also got a case box with the 10 boxes.

All in all (even though no guns bought) it was a GREAT day. Next year I will be more organized and I will get to shoot.

The sporting clays courses open in September - can't wait.

Saw more Kreighoff, Perazzi, Lujtic, Browning, and Kolar guns than I cared to. I can't believe that the Escencia's start above $20,000 Shocked

Also saw the new Briley sub-gauge tubes with the new extractor system - looks a LOT stronger than the old system. It looks like it would work well, but I am a little concerned about the way you hammer them into the barrel. hmmm.....

I recommend you all try to stop by Cool the GRAND if you can.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Nice report and it sounds like you had a great day. Wish it were a bit closer so I could spend, I mean visit. Wink

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:55 am  Reply with quote

I'm headed there Monday with three Hoosiers from my club.About three hours away. Wink Roughly the same distance as when it was in Ohio. Smile
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:01 am  Reply with quote

I went there Sunday. I agree it was hot. I did like the layout and most people I talked with said they were surprised at how much room there was. I talked to some one who worked there and asked about the sporting clay courses. They are supposed to have a couple of shoots there soon. He said they were working on them and should be ready for the one in October. I think it will be a nice complex as soon as the grass and trees grow..
You are right, not much for the 16 gauge. But, it is a Trap shoot, so what would you expect. I talked with the people at Federal and asked why they didn't make The "true ball" slug in 16 gauge. He said there just wasn't enough volume. I talked to the Nobel Sports people and tried to talk them into getting a 16 gauge target load. I got the feeling there wasn't much interest in expanding there existing selection of one load. I was a little dissappointed not to see Fiochi there.
I did renew my NRA membership. Got $10 off and two boxes of 12 shells. I asked if they had 20's, but no. I might have to buy a 12 gauge now that I have two boxes of shells.