16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rifled slugs
Little Creek
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

I hunt in Alaska, and I thought it would be useful to carry rifled slugs while grouse hunting. There are no 16 gauge slugs available in stores here, so I asked a friend outside to get some just before I visited him. He bought me Rotweil Brenneke one ounce slugs. They are 2-3/4" but the box is marked mag. load.

I have no other ballistic data about the slugs.

I have a Philly Fox Sterlingworth with open chokes (.003/.009). The gun is tight and works well. However, I am concerned about shooting magnum anything in it. Can these slugs be safely used in the Sterlingworth? Thanks. Mike
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:13 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,
The loads are probably safe but since I am certainly not an expert I would wait for one to chime in. The old slugs I carry are old remington and winchester. I carry them when grousing hunting in Griz country. I am always wondering when my lab will retrieve one and come looking to me for help. Shocked In that event I only want the shotgun to go bang twice and I hope I am still around to worry about the tightness of my shotguns action. I have been told not to use rifled or sabot styles of slugs but look for the lead rounds with a concave or hollow back side. Lets hope you never need to use those slugs.
Best,
Ron
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Ask the group as we are now researching the slug Wink
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:34 am  Reply with quote

My limited experience in shooting slugs thru guns with just a front bead is this.....they will probably not shoot anywhere near where you are looking. Of course, if the bear is chewing on your leg that won't be much of an issue.

Let's see, bear charges you suddenly out of nowhere, you are going to break open you gun, pull out your bird loads, fumble around in you shooting vest for the slug loads, load your gun and shoot. I'd say the bear wins this contest. Have you considered something like a Ruger Super Blawkhawk 44 magnum with the 4 5/8 inch barrel?
Little Creek
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Iagree that the idea of putting slugs in a gun while being charged is tentative at best. I was thinking most of moose that I want to eat.

On the other hand I can't shoot pistols, and I'll already have a gun in hend.

I once, 4 years ago shot 3 late season roosters with three shots on a group flush. Had to reload my SXS with extractors to do it. If push comes to shove, a brown bear will get a load of sevens in the face.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:38 am  Reply with quote

The slugs may be a good idea for those times where you see or know the bear is there and getting too close. I doubt they will help on a full charge due to time restraints. The load of 7.5's might have to do then.

If bears are that much of an issue where you hunt I would seriously consider a handgun (if legal) as a companion. If a Super Blackhawk is too heavy then something like a Glock 20 with 16 rds of heavy duty stuff. It's not a bear stopper but may be enough to turn or at least halt the bear, change his mind. Maybe. Better than nothing. Wink

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:18 am  Reply with quote

I believe I would think things over very carefully. At VERY short range a load of 7 1/2's will act like a solid projecticle. With no experience with bears I have no way of knowing if that would be enuff to break the skull and kill the bear. The other issue with slugs in a SxS is betting on two rounds to immediately incapacitate the bear. Again, no personal experience but it is not something I would bet on. Like carrying a gun for personal self defense, defending yourself against a bear is probably unlikely. Like self defense, if the unlikely happens you had better have thought things thru, practiced reloading and firring the slugs, etc or you may wind up getting yourself killed.
87016ga
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

a load of 7 1/2's would most likely bounce off a bears skull at any distance,
however, shooting at his face gives you a damn good chance of blinding him in at least one eye and then it's "feet do your stuff"
( my personal option would be to carry my .357 and shoulder holster, but thats me)
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:43 am  Reply with quote

If we were all realistic we'd probably admit to ourselves that, barring a tremendous amount of luck, a determined bear at close range would probably win this one; the 7's would probably literally "awaken a sleeping giant".....under 100 yards, a ticked-off bear would be on you in seconds.

But I sure can't blame you for wanting to afford yourself at least a fighting chance...

mod11rem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

I bought about 10 boxes (of 10) rem rifled 16 ga slug shells about 12 years ago. Main reason, I'd never seen them before and they were a close out special $3.00/box. they are 15/16 oz. with a similar powder charge to Express loads from rem.
don't know if they shoot accurately or not, still got them.

as for bears, I agree that in a pinch, changing shells on a charging bear seems a little risky, what with the excitement and all.

My grandad claimed that he accidentally got between a Mama black bear and her cubs once and she charged him. Being a black bear, he decided to stand his ground and she just kept on coming. at about 5 feet he let her have it with both barrels loaded with 4's. took off most of her nose and the top of her head. I still have the old Rem double, 32" f/f damascus barrels and he was probably using black powder as this happened about 1910. killed her dead on the spot, but her momentum still knocked him over.

don't know if I'd try that with a grizzly, but I'd say anything under 10 feet and any sort of shotgun blast should do the trick.

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

If your bird hunting and you get into a situation where you need to shoot a griz with any load you can fit in your shotgun or big pistol it's probably too late to kill him outright. But you will accomplish one thing, you'll insure that he is enthusiastic when he gets ahold of you and starts chewing.

Knowing how to send a bear the right message with body language and extricate yourself and avoid having to shoot at all is a far better option.

If you want something in your bird vest that bears hate carry an air horn.

http://4girards.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=459

http://4girards.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=462

That boots a size 12....I watched the second footprint (a small front paw) slowly fill with water, I was about 60 seconds behind that one.

Jeff