16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1oz = 7/80z ???
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:49 am  Reply with quote

LC, I'd like to know more about your super skeet game. Not wanting to derail this thread I'll start another topic in GD.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18 am  Reply with quote

A well designed modern load with a one piece plastic wad will out perform most older traditional loads with solid wads and heavier shot charges. So most of us will never miss that extra fraction of an ounce of shot as long as the pellet sizes aren't any bigger than #6 shot.

Heavy 16 ga hunting loads w/ #5 or bigger shot need all the pellets required to fill out the designated shot load weight. That's where an accurate reloading scale comes in handy. I weigh all mine. Been working for me for a long time. Might for anyone.
rdja
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

You also have to remember when using a single stage reloader and checking powder drops that you need to simulate a normal load sequence. So you need to cycle the machine the same number of times between powder drops. If you just drop powder, weigh it, then drop another powder drop to weigh, it will be light compared to when you actually load. So you simulate the deprime, prime, powder drop, insert wad, drop shot, pre crimp and final crimp. That's moving the handle up and down 6 times. The increase in "cycles" allows more powder to settle in the bushing. For some powders how "hard" you move the handle can make a difference too.
I really noticed when I was hand weighing powder for duck loads. I set the universal bar to be close then weighed and topped off as needed.
May not be a big deal but I try to eliminate as many variables as possible.
Good luck
Nate
Roper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

garvfam wrote:

When I weighed everything on the first try I found my 1oz charge bar is throwing 384 grams of lead...

That would be grains, not grams.

I'm sorry but after 35 years in quality assurance for an aircraft company I can't stop my self... Laughing
garvfam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

The problem is that when I load a hull the lead is 5/8" below the top of the hull, so when I crimp it just dives down into the hull. If I weigh the pellet drop then add some to exactly 1oz then it will crimp ok (slightly concave). But I then have to weigh and add lead on every hull. when I use a remington hull it crimps OK, (I only have a few Rems)

Win. poly hulls,
win 209,
17.5 PB.
BPI sg-16,
1oz mixed.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

This is the issue with dropping light.......crimps are not proper when they should be and ballistics are too low on the pressure side and too high on the velocity side.

When crimps aren't correct, and pellet count is light, the load that you want is not the load that you get.

When bars drop a full 1/8 oz. light, that is too much.

The variation between load data and actual drops is supposed to be::

+/- 20.0 grains on the payload

+/- 0.5 grains on powder

of course this is for guys who care how their reloads perform, if you are just looking for them to go bang............

garvfam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

I also noticed that the win poly hull is taller than the rem (black) ???

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

The Rems are sometimes on the short side. The Winchesters are correct.

garvfam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks... Im looking for them to go BANG and the bird in front of them to end up on my dinner plate !!!!
I shoot 12 ga for sporting clays and 5 std, but I hunt exclusively with an old 16 ga Fox. I just got my son a Rem 1148 in 16 ga. that he wants to use for both sport and hunting birds.
The more I get into this the more I'm thinking of getting an adjustable charge bar ... what do you think ?

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

I use UCB's and have them on all of my machines.

The powder side is OK with bushings, it is the shot side I am most concerned with.