16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  not sure what to do ?
garvfam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys !
I have about 750 win once fired and two cases of win super X still to shoot. When I burn these up what kind and where can I get 16 GA. hulls from.

Oh yeah, on the 1oz of pellets drop issue, I am using reclaimed shot from my gun club, (7,8,9 mix).... and very clean.

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:29 am  Reply with quote

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PRE&Category_Code=16_GA_2_3-4

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/413?

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/16-gauge-hulls/products/77/

Mike

garvfam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Thanks,
Ive seen some of these already, I have never used them.
Are cheddites as good as Remington and Winchesters ?
They come one-primed ????
How many reloads can one expect, and will all primers work with th cheddites??
Sorry for all the questions !!!

bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:51 am  Reply with quote

I use the blue , pre-primed Cheddites from BPI as my target/small bird(dove, quail) load hull . So far , I have averaged about 5 reloads per hull , for the most part they reprime well with a CCI 209 primer - sometimes , not often, I have to resize a primer pocket - and I have been extremely satisfied with them. I use Federal hulls for my upland/small game loads and clear Rios for my non-toxic . Color coding my loads like this makes it easy for me to keep up with what shells are for what

garvfam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:09 am  Reply with quote

So that means win and rem 209's will work just fine ?
I have a 2000 of each, but no CCI and its been tough finding primers in these parts !

bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

They should be fine . Always consult published load data for recipes , and don't deviate from it . On rare occasions you may need to resize a primer pocket - Cheddites are a European hull , and sometimes the pocket is a little loose . I believe the European primer pocket is .210" instead of .209" normally , but it's a rare day that I have to adjust a pocket . BPI has a primer pocket conditioner ( http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Universal-Primer-Pocket-Conditioner-10ga-410/productinfo/0740010/ ) for just that purpose .

garvfam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

While Ive got you can I ask another crazy question...
I have once fired win poly hulls, Some have a perfectly round opening and they crimp perfectly. I also have hulls that have a little fold in them and creases. I do not get a good crimp on them. Once crimped the top edge (around the top) is uneven. It actually dips down on one side. If I had any clue how to put pictures on this fancy thinking box I would ???
What could be causing this ???

mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

here's a picture posting tutorial http://16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15186

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Mike , I wish I knew those equations 45 yrs ago - I'd still be using factory only ammo ! It does pay to pay attn to the angle of insertion and not the angle of the dangle !

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:05 am  Reply with quote

Mike C: +10. Most people are afraid to show their work but you aren't and deseve credit for that.
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:39 am  Reply with quote

Without seeing pictures (and this is purely a S.W.A.G.) , I would guess your pre-crimp isn't set properly . This will be debated I'm sure , but I set my pre-crimp so that a piece of #6 shot will rest in the center of the petals after pre-crimping . Or there's some crap stuck in your final crimp head , I had some loose pellets get stuck in my final crimper once and spent 2 hours trying to adjust it out before I finally looked up in there .

garvfam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Now that's funny !

mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:31 am  Reply with quote

On primers for the Cheddite made Winchester Game Load hulls and the Cheddite hulls I got from BPI, I went the extra mile and got Cheddite primers. A lot of the recipes for these hulls specify the Cheddite primer, plus there are differences in primer shapes and sizes. I know I'm getting a good fit in the hulls using these primers.

On those off center crimps, my Sizemaster was giving me a lot of those. I finally figured out that by coming halfway down with the pre-crimp, raising the ram back up, rotate the hull 180 degrees and finish the pre-crimp, I got centered crimps every time. Don't know how one would try that with a MEC 9000, but it works on my Sizemaster.