16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  not sure what to do ?
rdja
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 am  Reply with quote

I have found lining up the precrimp with the previous folds on the hulls really helps. I was getting a lot of folded over crimp pedals. Then I put a piece of masking tape on the outside of the precrimp and marked where a couple of the fingers are located. When I pull the handle down I try to line up the marks with the old fold creases. Takes a bit more time on my Hornady 366, but still a lot faster than a single stage.

I also have gotten more aggressive as to when I throw a hull away. New hulls crimp perfect every time. Makes me wonder if I should condition the hull mouth prior to reloading. The folded over pedals do not seem to shoot badly, only soft loads I get are due to the wad not seating down straight, so it does not cover the powder with enough pressure.
garvfam
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:48 am  Reply with quote

That is exactly what is happening, mine look exactly like the red ones. Strange that it only does it on the ones with the folds in them. The rounded ones crimp perfectly !!!