16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Load Recommendation (Preserve Chukar's)
nossman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be doing a number of preserve Chukar hunts this year. What would the load recommendation be, for pen raised Chukar's? Would a 1oz load (Remington) #8 be enough? Or, would that just lead to more cripples?

Last edited by nossman on Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Preserve chukar/chuckar are entirely different from wild birds and great for training young dogs as they tend to hold well. 1 oz of 7 1/2s with an IC choke should work, esp. if you want to have some chukar left to eat (and they are good eating Very Happy )

TJC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot a lot of chuckar at the club I belong to. All are stocked birds as there are no natives here in NJ.

I usually end up shooting them with #4's because they are hunted in conjunction with pheasants. Now, I would agree with the Rev that a Rem Game Load in 7.5 would be more than enough.
But here is my finding. The 4's work well and don't ruin a lot of the meat because there aren't a lot of pellets. It works for me.
That said, if I were hunting just chuckars I would go with either 7.5'or 6's.

nossman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Yes. This will be my dog's first full season, and mine too (at least in many years). I plan to follow the guidance I've received from my local preserve & trainer, as well as what I get from others here. So far, it's all been good. At the end of last season, I got in a couple of hunts, using 1oz #7.5's, and had pretty good results. I will try #6's this season. I currently have IC & IM chokes installed in my Verona.

Thanks
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I had the good fortune last January to "luck" into a planted chukar shoot (remains of a DU hunt) in Russell KS. I used a grade III citori 16 with LM and LF and 1 oz sixes (purple knuckle hulls) to great effect on about 8 birds (one double, rest with LM choke). All shots within 30 yards - no worries....

Also shot a rooster (wild) that happened to be in the fence row at the end of the field.

Dr. 16 Gauge
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

I made a couple preserve hunts at the end of the season when I got my Merkel 1620 last season. The preserves limit shot size to 6s at one and 7 1/2s at the other. I used 1 oz loads with those shot sizes and just smoked the phezs and chuks. The Rems in 7 1/2 or 6s will work great. With the tight German IC/M chokes in the Merkel, I would let the birds get out a little ways before shooting.

brdhnt
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Nossman,

1 ounce of 7 !/2's will work fine for chukars. You may want a 1 ounce load of 6's handy if it is windy or for the left barrel. Preserve chukars are completely different from the wild ones. However 1 ounce of 7 1/2's will work well on them. I have a friend in Nevada that hunts wild chukars exclusively. He uses a 12 gague sxs choked IC and IM. His favorite load for wild chukars is the Remington International load with 7/8th ounce of nickel 7 1/2's at 1400 FPS.

The Remington game loads or Federals in 1 ounce of 7 1/2's will work well. If you can find them, you might try the Fiocchi Hi-Vel or their game loads in 1 ounce. I have had good luck with the Hi-Vel in 7 1/2's on mixed preserve quail, chukar and pheasant hunts.

MHO

Terry
________
HONDA CRF100

Last edited by brdhnt on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
nossman
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. Earlier today, I placed an order with BassPro for some Remington GL 1oz. #6's. Still cheaper than buying locally, and UPS brings them to the door. Gotta love the internet!
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:21 am  Reply with quote

The last time I went, I used B&P 1oz of #7. I pulled off some long shots with them. I was impressed.