16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  American Select and Remington hulls
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:57 am  Reply with quote

I have been loading PB in Rem hulls with DR16 wads for a 3/4 oz load and love it. Alas, the PB is almost gone. I did find 8# of American Select and have not found a load in Rems. Anyone got one? I have Win 209 primers.
Thanks
Jeff
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't used American Select so am not qualified to respond. Dogchaser has posted a lot about AS powder so I suspect he will be along shortly to comment; however, in looking at various loading data I see that loads in the 7/8 ounce bracket often show similar loads for AS and International Clays; so I'd compare a load provided by an unknown source to printed/tested loads using International Clays, and if there is a significant difference I'd seek a second opinion before I loaded them up. Now if you had asked about Green Dot I could have jumped in with a pile of loads. Smile
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have used American Select with 3/4 oz. loads, but only in Cheddite hulls. Nothing for Remington 16 Gauge hulls, sorry.

byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

15 grains AS ,ww209, DR-16 ,scrunch the wad a lillle, 7/8oz

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
In my perusal of the reloading data I was going to start at 14 grains, so the 15 grain load is probably where I will end up. I will be loading 7/8oz loads in Federals and I found published data for those. I would rather use Green Dot, but none to be found.
Thanks
Jeff
3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:31 am  Reply with quote

I have seen 8 lbrs of PB recently wearing the new Hogdon label. Check your local suppliers and see if they have it coming in.
20/28 makes a great 7/8 oz load using 15.5 gr, DR16,W209, and the Rem hull. It is all I load in my Rem hulls now, and can drop to 3/4oz using a cheerio for a filler. I have not had any trouble finding 20/28 locally and is much cheaper than PB

JNW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:48 am  Reply with quote

I load 20/28 in those two gauges. Tried it a little in 16 several years ago, but PB was such a wonderful powder except for the price. If I can find any 20/28 I'll try it again as it would be nice to use fewer powders. Who would have thought 10 years ago that we would have trouble buying reloading g supplies and .22 ammo in the USA?
Regards
Jeff
mc15426378
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Not exactly what you asked for but if you'd like to try 7/8 oz loads in Cheddite or Fiocchi hulls, try 17.0 grns American Select, Cheddite or Fiocchi primer, DR-16 wad.

Per my tests the Cheddite primer loads will have slightly more PSI but either load, in my experience, is a dandy and all I now load.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:42 am  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
Thanks guys,
In my perusal of the reloading data I was going to start at 14 grains, so the 15 grain load is probably where I will end up. I will be loading 7/8oz loads in Federals and I found published data for those. I would rather use Green Dot, but none to be found.
Thanks
Jeff

3/4 ounce shot charges typically lack the inertia needed to build unsafe pressures in any of the available 16 ga plastic hulls when using reasonable and proper charge weights of any of the faster burning smokeless powders suitable for loading shot shells. I've safely and satisfactorily used 14-15 grains of Red Dot and 16-17 grains of Green Dot in Remington Express/GL hulls w/ the DR16 and the R16 wad (w/ fillers).

Alliant American Select has a burning speed which fits right between these two powders, and is bulkier as well. 15-16 grains should work very well for your application IMO. However, AS has a larger flake size, so it does not meter quite as well as either RD or GD. Keep this in mind to avoid problems. Even so, if you can properly crimp the hull closed w/o any difficulty, then you should be on very safe ground. So let your crimps be your guide here. Good luck.
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

I use American Select in my 12ga 1 1/8 oz target/dove loads and my 7/8 oz 16ga Cheddite hull target/dove loads and have had wonderful results with it . If I ever get through the Unique I have for 1oz 16s , I might get an Anerican Select load tested .

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses! I will get into the AS in the next few weeks and will report my findings.
Regards
Jeff
shouseal
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I concur that AS is a great powder for 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads. It's my first choice for those shot weights. I suspect you will be happy with it. My data is in Federal and Cheddite hulls, not Remington. AS does not work for 1 ounce loads!

JNW
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

Shouseal,
What are the specifics of your loads? I did load some 7/8 oz in Federal hulls. Win 209, DR-16 and 16.5 gr of AS. Worked well but was a little dirty. Will chronograph tomorrow.
Regards
Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Check out this recipe from the on line Alliant Reloading Guide. It's for the Federal 16 ga hull you are using.

1 1/8 ounces of shot, 1,185 FPS, 10,600 PSI, Fed 209A primer (a hot one), 19 grains of Green Dot under the SP 16 wad.

7/8 ounce loads packed into the Federal hulls can easily and safelyt use at least 20 grains or more of Green Dot. In fact, in this case, less than 19 grains of GD doesn't produce very clean burning loads in the Federal hulls either. You might be able to safely work the powder charge up to between 18 and 20 grains of AS in the Federal hull w/o any safety issues.

The Federal hull is considerably roomier that the RGL hulls I commonly use. Plus the Federal hulls have rolled and formed paper base wads vs molded plastic base wads. Paper base wads readily lower average peak load pressures with most powders. This might explain why your loads are burning dirty. They are not reaching pressures which promote clean burning powder charges.
shouseal
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:37 am  Reply with quote

JNW,

My AS load in Federal hulls is 17.5 grains for both 3/4 and 7/8 oz. I think it shoots better than 16.5 gr, based on my experience. I use a DR16 wad for 3/4 oz loads; I use a Guilandi SG16 wad for 7/8 loads. The DR16 will work for both but crimping will compress your load with 7/8 oz - the shot will fill the hull all the way up to the crimp fold line. Using the SG16 for both results in having to drop a Cherrio on top of the 3/4 oz load for a decent crimp. I have good results in S/S and O/U guns with both inertia and manual triggers. I have not tried these in a semi-auto, but having recently acquired a Browning Auto 5 Sweet Sixteen, I intend to find out soon! Good shooting!

Steve