16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Adjusting New MEC 9000 Deprime/Resize
gloftness
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Got a new 9000 and just started getting it adjusted. Once I get past the first station, all is good.

I seem to be having a problem getting the hulls to drop in the first station. I need to pull the handle, then release it partially to then get the hull to drop down in the resizer. I've cleaned out the resizer and don't believe it's binding there. It's almost like the u shaped slots in the rotating plate are too small for the hulls.

Any suggestions?

I am using Federal and Cheddite hulls and both crimp well and work great with the same settings once I get past the first station.

Greg
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:45 am  Reply with quote

First ensure the tuning fork under the press is in the correct position.
Second, try loosening up the collet 1/8 of a turn.
Third, consider the drop tube positioning (see below)

Let us know if this helps

Thanks
Mike

fun reading
http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=330675

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=341092

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Check your auto advance settings to ensure the shell carriage is being moved far enough to stop dead center at the various stations. If not, then you may have found your problem.

Look to see if the collet fingers are opening up enough when the handle is in it's fully up position. If not, then examine your machine to see if anything is preventing it from returning to a fully up position. The wad guide bracket can be set at the wrong height which can prevent the machine from resetting to the fully up position. Then try adjusting the collet to a more open position if everything else is okay.

Check to see if the lifter pad inside the collet is in it's fully down position. They can hang up for several reasons. Clear any debris away including spent primers. Also make sure the shaft is seated in the lifter yoke as previously noted.

It takes patience, but carefully examining your machine to see how everything relates and works together is time well spent.
gloftness
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Well, the more I looked at it, the more convinced I was that it wasn't an adjustment- all was moving as described in the manual. The hulls just were hanging up in the u shaped slots. I took a small file and just cut the edge a bit to get the edge off from the die stamp and that was all it took to get the shells to drop into the station. When finished, I probably took just a few thousands off the edge and maybe some paint and that's all it took. I didn't disassemble anything- it just took a bit of time to do each slot.

I loaded about 6 boxes of shells with very good success (an occasional primer bounce, but I can get that tweaked in).

To get it to work properly, I had to also take a few thousands off the rod below the primer setting station as the rotating disc kept hanging on the primers- and yes it was squeaky clean when they were hanging. And then there was the grinding of the plastic wad guide, so I could actually insert the wads....

I'm pleased with my purchase.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

GREAT
Thank you for the report
Mike

JNW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:22 am  Reply with quote

I knew you would love it once it was dialed in. And, the MEC mechanical weirdness will enterain your engineering-like brain!
Regards,
Jeff