16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herters shells
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:46 am  Reply with quote

They're nice loads for the money, no complaints here. Funny, the other day I was shooting a bunch of Federal reloads I loaded up last summer and one of my Herter's empties must have got in with the Feds and I noticed the print on the hull as I was loading on a sporting clays stand. I did a very quick mental calculation of my load (a low pressure Green Dot/DR-16 load) and the relative hull sizes and thought, "OK." Of course I missed the target with all that junk in my mind, but it seemed to go bang just like the Federals!
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone had trouble with pierced primers with the herters shells? I have a couple of guns that pierce cheddite primers.

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

eng-pointer wrote:
Has anyone had trouble with pierced primers with the herters shells? I have a couple of guns that pierce cheddite primers.

Never with the Herters/Cheddite ,that I now about , but lots of them and seen others with RGL loads.

I don't own a Citori any more so the problem went away for me. Never shot the Herter's in my Citori though.
Square Load
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot a case of Herters wlth no pierced primers. Compared the primers in the Herters with the primers in a buddies new BPI Multi Hull Cheddites and the Herters were a different primer, or at least they were a different color.

Shot a box of recent vintage Rem Gl's last month and had 5 pierced primers out of a box of shells Mad

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
manfromwahoo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:35 am  Reply with quote

I've shot at least 15 cases of the Herter's/Cabela's #8s through the Gran with no primer peforations. But, they do seem a little hot and quickly gum up the ports of the Briley chokes. I figure it's the powder, whatever they have in there, I don't know. When I re-load 'em with Green Dot there's no choke gumming.

2014 Browning 725 30" Skeet, 12 ga w/extended Brileys.
For Sale: Belgium ('67 run) Browning Sweet Sixteen w/Briley chokes.
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:26 am  Reply with quote

eng-pointer wrote:

None of my Spanish, American or English guns do, but my Rizzini does on a regular basis.
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:00 am  Reply with quote

Both my 16s pierce Cheddite primers. My Ithaca Flues pierces over 90% of them and my Simson about half. No longer shoot Cheddite primers in these guns. Several other guns pierce Cheddite primers as well. My primary 12 bores don't pierce them, so that is where I'm burning up my remaining Cheds. I do NOT want to be replacing firing pins in vintage guns. Nothing but Win 209s for me from now on. If you don't think your guns pierce primers you need to look at spent hulls carefully. Often you do not get the big, smoky primer but just a small hole with a tiny black spot. Too bad, because Cheddite primers are very consistent.
Regards
Jeff
Leicadave
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Just got a case of these Herter's and was delighted to see they're purple. It's been a long time since I've seen purple 16's!

Anyone using these in older doubles where I want to keep pressures at 8,000 or less? Always wary of factory loaded ammo for the 1880-1940 guns.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:34 am  Reply with quote

I would assume they are NOT low pressure . The only way to find out is to send some in for testing .
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

They are the same velocity as Federal 1oz loads at 1165fps, so one might assume they are similar in pressure at 9k psi, but it would be best to have them tested if that's an issue, certainly. I would be curious to know this myself.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
larry
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:41 am  Reply with quote

To the group,
About a year ago I bought two boxes of Herter's shells. I shot them in my A-5 and the Charlin. The Charlin burst the brass and the A-5 showed a potential burst along the extra. I returned the shells to Cabelas and they refuned my money. They going to contact the supplier and get back to me which they never did. Did anyone on this board have similiar problems? I am thinking that I got a bad batch with super thin brass. I want to buy back in but I am a bit apprehensive. Thanks in advance. Larry
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:33 am  Reply with quote

Larry...yours is the first experience of brass splitting in these hulls that I've heard of. I've used three flats in my Higgins 100 with no problems of any type. Just ordered three more flats.

My instincts have me thinking your situation is unique or we would likely have heard about it here if it were characteristic of the product.

I'm stumped about your experience.
3crosses
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Good lord is this what it has come to?
8.00 a box for chedites is not a good price. Unfortunately this is the best we can find.

Will we ever again have a good shell to reload?
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:28 am  Reply with quote

3crosses...the answer is no...likely never...and sadly, I'd bet on for sure never if I were forced to predict.

Your identifier is great by the way. It took me just a moment to get it although I am an undeserving, but joyful recipient, of grace.
rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

I see that Cheddite Hulls are available Skived or not. Does anyone know which ones are used in the Herter's Shells?

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting