16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Need Stevens info
PIOBill
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:14 am  Reply with quote

I picked up a 16 Ga Stevens yesterday just for fun to clean up. It is a single shot exposed hammer that is old enough that it does not have a serial number. Stock is in OK shape but the screws in the fore end have wallowed out and I need to get the fore end off to do the repairs.

I will be searching for the model but It looks like a Model 1913 or a model 94. I hope to be able to post a couple of before and after shots as this goes along. Any suggestions of how to get the fore end off? it has no screw on the bottom and the fore end will slip forward the length of the screws with out falling off. Confused

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:59 am  Reply with quote

It should be a pull off type with an "S" spring
should be part 33 in the illustration.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Shotguns-40503/94ShotgunSeries-41398/94-34353.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Shotguns-40503/94ShotgunSeries-41398/94OldModel-34351.htm

Mike

Gamekeeper
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Nice project and a useful shotgun, My Stevens 94 is used every week, light to carry and hard hitting with a 32" full choke barrel, if I can find another one with a shorter, open choked barrel I'll snap it up.

PIOBill
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

I have torn down the Model 94(I think it is a 94) and have begun to clean it up. So far the hardest part was rubbing off the previous owners DL # he had scratched into the receiver. I was able to find a serial number stamped in several places on the barrel, fore end and two places on the receiver. PJ4XX is all there is. It just Says: J. Stevens arms & Tool Co. Chicopee Falls Mass USA. No model number or anything.

I understand there was a fire that destroyed a lot of the records, but is there any way to get an idea of how old this shotgun is?

bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:48 am  Reply with quote

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Manufacturers/Stevens/Stevens%20Arms%20Co.html That might get you a range of years it was made .

Edit: maybe not , there's nothing under the 94

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:03 am  Reply with quote

The older Stevens guns I've seen do often have a series of letters stamped into the various parts, but they are some sort of production numbers and not serial numbers. If it's pre-1949 you may be out of luck. It it's '49 or later look at the bottom of the receiver near the hinge; there will be an oval with a letter stamped inside; A=1949, B=1950, etc.

Last edited by fin2feather on Thu May 29, 2014 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
PIOBill
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:45 am  Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing an oval with a letter in it, but I will look again when I get home from work. Thanks to all for the help. This is just an interesting project for the evenings rather than watching too much TV.

PIOBill
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I checked out the receiver and could find no additional markings. I guess this means that it was made prior to 1949. Any idea of what years this gun was produced? Was it made well into the 50-60 or discontinued earlier?

Norm
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Stevens A&T was used until around 1916, so your gun is at least that old. researcher is a font of info on older Stevens guns.
PIOBill
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was going to go to the white with the cleaning and re-blue everything but to honor the history of this gun I will now just clean off any surface rust and try to keep the patina of 100 years.

The only thing that concerns me is the pitting in the barrel.