16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Skeet loads, Trap loads, what velocity patterns best?
manfromwahoo
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

I recently lucked in to 8# of Green Dot. I also have 4# of Clays from the 90s. I'm an experienced reloader for the 1 1/8 oz 16ga field loads but I have never reloaded 16ga for Skeet, or Trap, which I just got into last year. Consequently I've got about 4800 empty Herters/Cheddites; and 500 mixed RGLs, and Federal plastics to start with. The truth is that I haven't re-loaded 16ga since the 90s... actually sold the old MEC back then. Now I have a Super Sizer and have ordered a new 650N and expect to be back in 16ga reloading mode by mid June. I've been looking at the available tables on this forum but am a bit confused about what would work best for Skeet, or Trap. I want to start out with the Green Dot in the Cheddites, Winchesters and RGLs; and later on the scarcer Federals. 3/4 oz of 9s is what I have in mind for Skeet; 7/8 oz of 7.5s for Trap. I'm saving my 4# of Clays for the pistols until Hogden comes back on line in Europe, if ever.
Thanks guys.

2014 Browning 725 30" Skeet, 12 ga w/extended Brileys.
For Sale: Belgium ('67 run) Browning Sweet Sixteen w/Briley chokes.
3crosses
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Two different shooting games completely.
Skeet is an open choke game and trap is a tight choke game.

But, in my gun and looking just at velocity, 1200-1250 fps pattern more consistently.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

As to what velocity patterns best, there is no hard and fast rule, you will have to test that in your gun. No two guns will likely pattern the same with the same load.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:17 am  Reply with quote

You're in good shape to get re-started. All you need is a quantity of DR16 wads.

For skeet I think you'll be very pleased at just how comfortable and efficient 3/4 and 7/8 oz. Green Dot loads are. Usually all I shoot for skeet is 3/4 but sometimes I'll move up to 7/8 for a tournament or league shoot, although I have never actually studied if there is a practical benefit in score. The 3/4 are very, very comfortable.

I do load 7/8 for tournament clays.

I agree with what 3crosses said.

I'm not a trap shooter so I can't offer an opinion there except to pattern and try a couple of different speeds. As we've all heard, supposedly slower loads pattern tighter. Ditto for lighter than "standard" loads in a given bore diameter...as 3/4 and 7/8 are in the 16 ga. So for trap with the heavier 7/8 you may benefit with a little less FPS and for the lighter 3/4 skeet loads, may get a cleaner burn and more open pattern with more speed.

You are really going to like these loads! There is a big difference in perceived recoil when compared to any 1 oz. load. And, they really boil the targets.

Keep us posted
JNW
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:23 am  Reply with quote

I try to make all of my reloads go from 1200 to 1250 fps. This way I never have to worry about my lead changing - even though in fact it takes huge swings in velocity(over 100 fps) to affect your lead. Given the large quantity of Cheddites you have I would just load those. Use the DR-16 wad for both loads. Shoot for 1200 fps for both 3/4 and 7/8oz and you will be a happy camper.
Regards,
Jeff
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
I try to make all of my reloads go from 1200 to 1250 fps. This way I never have to worry about my lead changing - even though in fact it takes huge swings in velocity(over 100 fps) to affect your lead. Given the large quantity of Cheddites you have I would just load those. Use the DR-16 wad for both loads. Shoot for 1200 fps for both 3/4 and 7/8oz and you will be a happy camper.
Regards,
Jeff

+1 , I try for 1200-1250 in all my reloads , all gauges

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:33 am  Reply with quote

same here on velocity .. 9's or 8.5 for skeet and 7.5 for trap ....loads are plenty adequate - just let your gun change to the different game . Cyl or just a puff of choke for skeet and as full as you like for trap .

DanLee
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

I use 3/4 oz of No. 9 for both skeet and 16-yard trap, just varying the choke--skeet for skeet and full for trap. However, I only shoot trap with my 1100 16, while skeet gets a variety of guns.

Dan
putz463
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:12 am  Reply with quote

More of the same here, 1250'ish works for me, but "what patterns best" is best settled between you, a pattern board, your shotgun and more specifically your chokes.

Only info I can offer; I find moving to 1/2 size larger in winter more or less negates the dense air thing, skeet 3/4oz #9 warm days #8.5 cold...trap/SC's 7/8oz #8.5 warm #8 cold.

BTW; if lugging that awful heavy #8 of GD around becomes a PITA, PM me for a ship to address.

Best of luck...

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

manfromwahoo wrote:
I recently lucked in to 8# of Green Dot... I want to start out with the Green Dot in the Cheddites, Winchesters and RGLs; and later on the scarcer Federals. 3/4 oz of 9s is what I have in mind for Skeet; 7/8 oz of 7.5s for Trap... Thanks guys.

In my experience, Green Dot is the best powder of all for 16 ga., 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads. It is a very flexible, consistently performing powder when used in these extra light 16 gauge loads in any of the presently available 16 gauge hulls.

I've been using a 16 grain charge of GD for either shot load in my RGL hulls for some time now with excellent results. I6 grains of GD in the RGL hull produces about 1200 FPS and very even patterns with reasonably dense cores under either shot load weight. My wad of choice is the now discontinued R16 one ounce wad with one or two .135" thick, 28 ga nitro card filler wads under the shot loads as needed for decent crimps. I use the Noble Sport 209 primer in my newer RGL hulls and the slightly smaller Remington STS/209P primer in my older RGL hulls from the late 1980s and early '90s. This is due to the difference in the size of the primer pockets found in those respective hulls.

The Remington SP16 and R16, Downrange DR16, and Claybuster WW16AA clone wads have slightly smaller outside diameters than the European wad designs and seat easier in the internally smaller RGL hulls w/o causing hull wall stretch and wall splitting. So I strongly suggest using only these wads in the RGL hullls to avoid problems.

Any of the presently available Cheddite type and Federal/Estate hulls have larger inside diameters and bigger internal capacities. These roomier hulls typically require slightly heavier powder charges of Green Dot in order to produce clean burning loads w/ consistent velocities and ballistic performance. The Federal/Estate hulls also have rolled, compressed paper base wads which tend to lower peak pressures more than any of the hulls which have flat plastic molded base wads inserted in them. These two hulls normally require heavier powder charges across the board.

Either the Federal or Cheddite type hulls will readily accept any of the presently available 16 ga wad designs. However, the European wad designs like the Gualandi, the Cheddite, or the Z Wads have larger outside diameters which produce a better powder seal in these more spacious hulls than any of the wads w/ smaller diameters. Even so, the DR16 and the Claybuster wads have been designed with hemispherically shaped wad base cups which are more supple and which will flare a bit when seated in order to seal the powder charge in almost any 16 ga hull. Experience will teach you what works best here, so I suggest you try both as well.

Also, best keep in mind that only firm, well formed crimps produce consistently good ballistic results. So be prepared to resort to filler wads as needed to get the correct shot/wad/powder column heights needed to get firm crimps. Trial and error will best teach you what you need to know here.

One more suggestion. #9 shot works well for 3/4 ounce skeet loads.#8 shot works well in either load weight for both trap and skeet (I'm assuming you aren't planning on shooting registered trap targets with these very light shot loads). #8 shot fills out 7/8 ounce shot patterns far better than #7.5 shot and smashes trap singles targets very well out at typical singles ranges if the shooters are doing their jobs.

Extra light shot loads like these two typically produce patterns w/ relatively dense cores if the chosen load is firmly crimped and is a consistently clean burning one. The patterns of these extra light loads tend to open up gradually as they go down range. So they tend to pattern well at velocities from 1100 FPS to 1300 FPS or even more. I use a cylinder choke for skeet, an imp. mod for trap singles, and an IC choke for sporting clays, 5 Stand, and for most bird hunting with excellent results.

My input is based on reasonably long experience. Hope it helps. Good luck.
manfromwahoo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:59 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm up and running after picking up a 16 ga MEC 650N from the Balllistics Products store in Corchoran, MN. It does work good, for sure, a lot better than the MEC single stage that I had back in the 80s. I'm fortunate that I've got about 4500 empty Cabelas/Herters/Cheddite hulls to run through it, also, 9# of Green Dot, and 4# of Clays; so, I should be good until we get through what I see as a government contrived 'Powder Crisis.' (Be sure to vote in November) Using the Cabelas/Herters/Cheddites, I started out with a W209, DR-16 wad, 3/4 oz of 9s over 19 gs of the Green Dot. I was a little bit nervous about the 1340 fps indicated in the reloading tables for the load. I did a couple rounds of practice Skeet with the Gran Lightning to start off. I have to say that it won't be a magic bullet as far as my scores go, but, it is very comfortable shooting compared to the 1 oz 8 shot 'kickers' that I had been shooting this last year. Also, the targets that did find their way into the center of the pattern did seem to disappear/boil with more authority. I am having a lot of fun. Will run them through the Sweet Sixteen the next time out.

grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:14 am  Reply with quote

The load you settled on is what I often use except I don't go anywhere 19 gr. of Green Dot. It's just my opinion, based on experience, so take it for exactly what you paid for it, Laughing but I think you could get by with significantly less powder, reduce your recoil, have a more pleasant load and get the same or better results using less powder.

I've fared well in several vintage skeet and clays tournaments and leagues with these loads out of an AYA SxS and a Model 12.

I use from 15.7-16.5 gr. of Green Dot for 7/8 and 3/4 oz. in all my 16 ga. hulls (Cheddite, RGL, WAACF, Fiochhi and others).

I almost always use DR16s but have a good supply of original WAA16 wads and some R16 and card wads too. Any combination of the above works for me although with the RGL hull, I do like to use up the R16s, AA16s and cards, but often use the DR in the RGLs as well.

Once my stock of the other wads and card dwindles, I don't feel the need to ever use anything other than the DR16 for any load up to 7/8 oz.

1 oz. and heavier is a different ball game, although I believe at least one member here has good crimps with the DR even at one oz. as I recall.

16gg's advice is right on the money here. My loads were basically taken from his. You wouldn't be hurt by saving his advice as an option for future use.

I'm not saying the load you cited that you are currently using is bad, just that I think you may find less powder just as nice or nicer and save some precious Green Dot as well...Green Dot that currently is pretty much unavailable.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:21 am  Reply with quote

I found that GD patterned better than Red Dot in 12 ga trap all things being equal. I have seen a tendency for faster powders to open patterns more than slower powders. So in 12ga skeet I used to shoot RD, for trap I used to shoot GD. In 16ga I shoot American Select for targets and Long Shot for hunting. Same idea.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

manfromwahoo wrote:
Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm up and running after picking up a 16 ga MEC 650N from the Balllistics Products store in Corchoran, MN. It does work good, for sure, a lot better than the MEC single stage that I had back in the 80s. I'm fortunate that I've got about 4500 empty Cabelas/Herters/Cheddite hulls to run through it, also, 9# of Green Dot, and 4# of Clays; so, I should be good until we get through what I see as a government contrived 'Powder Crisis.' (Be sure to vote in November) Using the Cabelas/Herters/Cheddites, I started out with a W209, DR-16 wad, 3/4 oz of 9s over 19 gs of the Green Dot. I was a little bit nervous about the 1340 fps indicated in the reloading tables for the load. I did a couple rounds of practice Skeet with the Gran Lightning to start off. I have to say that it won't be a magic bullet as far as my scores go, but, it is very comfortable shooting compared to the 1 oz 8 shot 'kickers' that I had been shooting this last year. Also, the targets that did find their way into the center of the pattern did seem to disappear/boil with more authority. I am having a lot of fun. Will run them through the Sweet Sixteen the next time out.

I think 17 to 18 grains of GD would work well in your recipe. I'd save the 19 grain charge for loading Federal hulls if I were you. Old saying--"if it ain't broke, then don't fix it." Enjoy. Very Happy
manfromwahoo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I completed the Skeet testing with the Cheddites, the WW209s, the Green Dot under the DR16; all with 3/4 oz of 9s. All of the MEC bushings from M28 to M32, and of course the powder scale; that's 15.7gs to 19gs of the Green Dot. They all seemed to pattern and hit well. Barrel is as clean at 15.7gs as it was on 19gs, and no unburnt powder that I could see. Sure is comfortable shooting.... especially at 15.7gs. I don't have a chrono. Anybody got a guess as to the velocity at 15.7gs?