16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Red Dot Recipes?
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:10 am  Reply with quote

Have searched back as far back as I care to for recipes for 3/4 & 7/8oz target loads and came up empty. The spreadsheets have few available. So, anyone care to share their 1200-1250fps 3/4 & 7/8oz Red Dot recipes since it seems it's the only powder I can get my hands on consistently these days.

Or; have suggestions on where to start in regards to grains of powder drop to start some load development? In comparison and in very broad terms, it seems most RD recipes lag by a couple grains or ~10% of most Green Dot recipes.

Any info appreciated, thanks

mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

A problem with the load data is that it seems to be made by people that use the "optimum" powders for a given gauge/load/velocity as their selection criteria and in the case of Alliant, the only loads they consider for the 16 are at least 1 ounce. as a result, Red Dot is much too fast for their use.

On the bright side, the Advantages Manual lists sever lighter (5/8-7/8 ounce) loads for the 16 and even use Red Dot for one or two. They publish a lot more data for Clay powder, which seems to me is supposed to be in about the same niche as Red Dot.

The Red Dot data:
Cheddite Hull & Primer, SG16 was, 7/8 oz shot, 17 gr Red Dot for 1275fps @ 10100psi , and 18 gr Red Dot for 1350fps @ 11000psi.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:11 am  Reply with quote

Perfect, exactly the info I was hoping for. I'll see how those 7/8 1275 loads pan out, it'll be some fun putting a few different ideas together and sending off to Tom. If any look good on paper I will certainly share.

Many thanks

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:37 am  Reply with quote

I'd chromo those in a strong 16 and make sure the velocity is where its should be.

Be careful.
goathoof
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:55 am  Reply with quote

I found load data for red dot from a 1964 lee handloading kit, so this is only a ball park number considering its age and no listing for hull type or wad type: 16.5 grains for one ounce lead.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:48 am  Reply with quote

Good stuff, appreciate the input.

Oh yeah, being careful...

Threedogs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

I have two big cans of red dot and don't like any of the very few 16 guage loads I have been able to find for it. I used the data from the old lee kit as well. I test fired them through my old single shot and they seemed sporadic and hotter than I expected.

I wont shoot any through my nicer guns. It seems red dot is a 12 gauge powder. I still have 4lbs of green dot but when it is gone I am done loading. Sad

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

I want your Red Dot
Drive over to Amarillo and lets trade stuff
Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
I'd be comfortable loading 15 grains of Red Dot under a DR16 holding 3/4 ounce in an RGL hull or 7/8 ounce in Fed, Fiochhi or Cheddite hull. I'd expect consistent ignition and I'd be happy with whatever the velocity happened to be.

Under no circumstances would I exceed 15 grains Red Dot unless I had Tom Armbrust pressure test the exact recipe.

I agree. In the past, I've loaded and shot the following load w/ excellent results:

RGL hull, R16 wad w/ two .135" thick 28 ga nitro card filler wads under 3/4 ounces of shot, 14.5 grains of RD powder, and a Noble Sport 209 primer. Velocity is estimated to be 1200 FPS. Average peak pressures are well under 10K PSI.

Performance is just fine. Recoil is very mild, and the load breaks every skeet target I deserve. My experience w/ other loads shows there is little difference between 3/4 and 7/8 ounce of shot if all else is equal. Both are mild shooting 16 ga loads which pattern well and do not rapidly build pressures if the powder charges are not excessive. 14 to 15 grains of RD is not in this case.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:54 am  Reply with quote

Oh well, went to the range the other day to pick up some RD and burn what's left of my GD and they're all out too. Hey, any GD or RD in back? Owner said good luck with that, look toward Alliant powders.

So, the search continues...guess I'll be looking for Alliant powders w/characteristics closest to GD, looks like Titegroup, International or Universal are in the ball park...

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Good luck finding International or Universal, I haven't seen any, but I've still got 3 lbs of each. I use both in 3/4 and 7/8 loads especially in 2 1/2" cheddites/RST"s. I have not seen any loads using Titegroup for 16 ga, I do use Titewad for light 12 ga loads. I like 20/28 for 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads in RGL's. I have found it to be more available--but I buy it if I see it.
I was given 6 boxes of reloads that used Red Dot, and took a few apart and measured the powder charge--it was 16 gr. I will shoot those thru my Fair Rizzini 600, but no way would I use them in my damascus barreled Parkers or Lefevers.
We are getting to the point where we must use what ever powders we can find and not what we want. Good luck!

elmo123
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

I just returned from the range where I tested two loads with Red Dot. Both were
loaded in new Remington Shur Shot hulls with 157 primers. New old stock.

15.5 Red Dot DR16 wad 3/4 #8 1297 fps

15.5 Red Dot DR16 wad 7/8 #8 1275 fps

I shot them out of a new 870 with a 23" barrel and modified choke tube.

They both patterned real well and the recoil was very mild.

I did have to seal the crimps with a small amount of wax.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

My standard skeet loads for my Sweet Sixteen in the days when shot was cheap and powder was plentiful contained 16 grains of Red Dot and 1 oz of No. 9. The hulls were mostly Federals and Winchester CFs with a Remington SP wad. I never had any luck getting the A5 to cycle with less than 1 oz of shot, and I tried a bunch of loads when things started getting more costly. The Remington 1100 is much more amiable to light shot loads.

Dan
rdja
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

My A5 cycles 7/8 oz loads. 17 gr Internl, DR16, win 209 Cheditte hull
With the rings set for light of course.
The Herters shells 1 oz at 1150 will not consistently cycle on heavy so they use light setting also.
With warmer weather I did get some fast 3/4 shells to cycle but not 100%. Probably loading technique. I would use them as the second shot of a double to be sure everything worked ok.