16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 1/16oz Payload and Z16 Wad
gjw
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all, many thanks for all your great advise and responses to my recent posts. I sure do appreciate all your help and getting me straightened out with my reloading. I've learned a lot. Thanks!

That being said, I'm going to give the one recipe I posted a try. I will fit the bill for what I need.

So.....what is your opinion of the Z-15 wad and the 1 1/16oz payload?

Thanks again!

Greg
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

The wad is a good one.

I am not much for odd ball payloads. Splitting the difference makes no sense to me, but to each his own.

gjw
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Mark!! The payload is what the recipe calls for, and one of my 1 1/8 bars throws 1 1/16oz by chance. Looks like karma is telling me something!

Thanks again for all your great help!!!!

Best!

Greg
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Greg, each of the shot bushings for my press throw light charges even with 9s, with 6s I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them were light by 1/16oz. Since it doesn't seem to matter when we drop a full 1/8oz of shot to add a Spred-R insert I fall back to trying for a load to fit the case and finish with a good crimp.
Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Come on Mark, you shoot a 16ga and not in favor of odd balls?
In seriousness, I shoot 1 1/16, but that mostly came about because my bar threw that, left it that way as you said, splitting hairs.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I detest MEC bars I have Universal Charge Bars in every machine I have.

MEC bushings are fine, it is the shot side that I don't like.

If MEC bars threw the correct amount of shot, the need for fillers would go away.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Most of my MEC progressive bars are antiques by now. Laughing They all throw light charges of magnum 7.5 and 8 shot. I solved that problem by carefully reaming out one each of my 1-1/8, 1, and 7/8 ounce bars to suit. Each one now throws nearly perfect shot load weights of a specific magnum pellet size. These three bars are reserved for loading registered and league trap ammo. They've been doing the job for decades just fine.

I use mostly chilled shot for trap practice ammo and don't worry about shot load weights past the safety issue. Speedy and convenient loading of uniformly safe ammo matters the most here. My practice loads always break all the targets I deserve, and I still have all my fingers. So I must be doing something right.

Pellet size affects volume, so throwing by volume doesn't cut it when it comes to loading high performance hunting ammo IMO. I don't want the time I spend at the patterning board to go to waste. Balanced, uniform pressures and velocities are of utmost importance for excellent hunting ammo performance. So check weighing each shot load solves a lot of problems in my experience. The extra time it takes isn't all that much considering the amount of loads I'm actually assembling.

As for 16 ga recreational ammo-- who cares. I'm already down to 3/4 ounce shot loads of small pellets to reduce recoil and save shot. Slightly light shot loads add to the savings on both counts IMO. These fun loads are mass produced on a progressive press with speed and convenience in mind. I'm not worrying about it past safe and dependable. They all go bang and break recreational skeet targets just fine. That's all that really matters to me.

So gjw, it probably doesn't make a dimes' worth of difference as long as the Z wad is doing it's job in your chosen load. A 1/16th of an ounce of small pellets won't cost you any targets if you are doing your job when you pull the trigger. I wouldn't worry about this too much if I were you. Just stay focused on the mark, stay in the gun, and swing through as you trip the trigger. Nothing else matters more in my experience.