16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  longshot vs unique, etc
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:02 am  Reply with quote

I like using longshot because of the higher velocities, low pressure, and comparatively low volume it takes up which is great for short hull applications. The downside is felt recoil, but I don't notice it in hunting loads. What are the other disadvantages of longshot?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
rdja
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:40 am  Reply with quote

I have not used Unique but have used a fair amount of Longshot. I think it works best for heavy hunting loads. In 1 oz loads the velocities are higher than I like. There is no need for >>1200 fps when shooting lead, and I find patterns are more even at lower velocities. I did load some 1 oz loads in the RGL hull just to try some WAA16 wads I was given. They kicked the crap out of me at clays, so I quit making them.
I use it for my 1 1/8oz Nice Shot loads and they are awesome. Also use it for some 12 ga hunting loads. I think it is a very good powder but for me, only in heavier hunting loads.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:06 am  Reply with quote

rdja wrote:
I have not used Unique but have used a fair amount of Longshot. I think it works best for heavy hunting loads. In 1 oz loads the velocities are higher than I like. There is no need for >>1200 fps when shooting lead, and I find patterns are more even at lower velocities. I did load some 1 oz loads in the RGL hull just to try some WAA16 wads I was given. They kicked the crap out of me at clays, so I quit making them.
I use it for my 1 1/8oz Nice Shot loads and they are awesome. Also use it for some 12 ga hunting loads. I think it is a very good powder but for me, only in heavier hunting loads.

That's a very good point about the higher velocities. I haven't patterned 1300fps loads vs 1150fps loads to see what the differences are. Maybe I will now. Thanks.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:18 am  Reply with quote

I think what RDJA sez is correct - we've mainly used it in 28ga and saw exactly what he was saying . It (longshot) didn't like this cold winter !

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Hogwash, Longshot is fine in cold weather.

The problem is the loading data or your loading techniques, not the powder.

rdja
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Never had a problem with any temp with the duck loads I used the past 3 years. Like Dan said do not notice the recoil when hunting. However in my 12 bore I shot a few 3.5inch shells. That will rock the boat!
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:23 am  Reply with quote

I use Longshot in 10,12,16,24 and 28ga loads.
Use it almost exclusively in the 12 and 16ga for hunting loads. I pheasant hunted this winter a couple of days in below zero temps, Longshot didn't mind it, birds did.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:24 am  Reply with quote

I've used Long Shot in 28 GA only and recently noticed, thanks to this thread, a lot of recipes for 16 GA. SR4756 has been my preferred powder in 16 GA and now that it has been discontinues, I'll work up a few Long Shot loads and see how they pattern.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:06 am  Reply with quote

So, in the main, it sounds like the only real disadvantage to longshot is recoil, which can be somewhat mitigated by lower velocity recipes if necessary. I can live with that.

Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

I've been told longshot can go over pressure fairly easy too. Feller on another forum claimed a significant spike with a grain or two more powder.
Don't have a pressure gun myself, just repeating what some guy said on the internet ...
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Jim, I probably wouldn't repeat that bit of misinformation.

Actually Longshot, is pretty nice stuff. I have developed and tested several Longshot loads including 1 1/4 oz. in the 16 Gauge and they were very predictable.

There are relatively few loads that go crazy by adding a grain or two. What usually causes the problem is using powders that are a bit quick for the payload you are trying to move. Even then.......more of an oddity than something that happens with any regularity, at least in shotshell loads.

Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

I should add he was speaking specifically of steel loads...
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Yup that is why, Longshot isn't designed to be used with steel shot. You can certainly use it with steel shot especially in wads from Gualandi and B & P, but put it with a solid based steel wad and I am sure it can get touchy in certain loads. Blue Dot, SR4756 and a few others will act the same way.

That's why Alliant makes Steel.

.....but it isn't really a fair statement to make about Longshot, because using it with steel shot, isn't what it was meant for.

You know what they say about the American consumer, we will either try to eat it, break it or have sex with it.......and reloaders are constantly using components that weren't designed to be used together and are surprised when things don't work as planned.

Go figure!!!! Cool

Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:28 am  Reply with quote

How do you think Longshot would work in a dry rub? Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
I like using longshot because of the higher velocities, low pressure, and comparatively low volume it takes up which is great for short hull applications. The downside is felt recoil, but I don't notice it in hunting loads. What are the other disadvantages of longshot?

The July, 2014 edition of Shotgun Sports has a good article on slow burning shotgun powders. Longshot is specifically covered.

According to the article, all slow burning shotgun powders have three requirements. One is a firm crimp. The second is load data calling for heavier shot loads and higher average pressures near the top of the acceptable range. For the 16 ga., that would be about 11K PSI or a bit more. The third is a magnum strength primer like a CCI 209M or a Federal 209A.

My experience w/ Blue Dot and WW 571 bear this out. Only those loads which meet all three requirements perform consistently well, especially in cold weather. I have successfully used WW 571 in heavy 7/8 ounce, 28 gauge hunting loads set up for #7 magnum pigeon shot. I was using a CCI 209M primer and a stiff charge of powder to get velocities over 1275 FPS. However, I could not get good performance until I adjusted the crimp starter and crimp die to set a fairly deep, firm crimp. That did the trick. These loads were excellent on late season grouse well into January. I also used them for late season pheasant at short range when the opportunity presented itself. However, less than very firm, perfect crimps produced less than acceptable powder burning.

Unique is a very good powder for one ounce 16 ga loads. It does not require pressures to be near the top of the range nor a magnum primer to produce clean burning, consistently performing loads. However, it does require good firm crimps.

As a matter of fact, all good hunting loads require good firm crimps, and good crimps require once fired hulls in my experience. However, that should not be a big problem when it comes to reloading hunting ammo. The number of hulls most of us actually load per year for hunting ammo is small compared to recreational loads. So use your hulls wisely. Save the best ones for bird hunting loads and then reuse them for less fussy fun loads. Works for me. Hope my input helps.