16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite hulls (Herter's)
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:42 am  Reply with quote

I just learned something this morning. Cheddite hulls aren't Italian, they're French(!). Supposedly, they are pronounced "Ched-eat". Ballistics Products sells 'em by the grand gross and says that they're easily as good as the Italian stuff for reloading and otherwise. All I know is that I'm buying them for less than I could reload them and both pumps and doubles eat them up.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:28 am  Reply with quote

My 16's also seem to like the Herter's loads. Now it's a matter of keeping the purple Herter's hulls from getting mixed up with the purple Federal hulls. The first-world trials and tribulations of being a 16 gauge shooter…
Wink
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

hmmm , it appears pre-primed hulls are French , loaded ammo and other components are Italian . So I guess e'erbody is right .

http://www.chedditeitaly.com/en/storia.php

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

As i remember, the first Cheddite type hulls w/ stars embossed in the bases I ever saw were marketed by The original Esstate Cartridge Co. out of Texas. The ammo was manufactured in China (as printed on the boxes) and imported stateside. That was over 20 years ago.

i doubt anything has changed. The hulls are probably imported by a French company from China and distributed to whoever wants them. Same for Australian made Winchesters--China.

It's clearly a global economy now. Fords and Chevys have Chinese made drive trains. Our shells have Chinese made hulls. Just how it is folks. Get used to it.