16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  ITX and Nice
Leicadave
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

I've used these without incident in 12, 16, 24 and 28 gauge loads. Just got some pretty negative replies on the Spanish gun forum when I suggested these as an alternative to lead for Spanish guns of which I have a couple.

Anyone have any really negative experience with these: barrels "ruined", blowups, etc. that are documented, not just urban myths?

I'm certainly not concerned with using them in any of my older guns, including a couple of damascus barreled ones as long as I keep the pressure low and the chokes pretty open.

Comments?

Last edited by Leicadave on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
dukxdog
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot ITX in my old guns. I have no concerns.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot Nice Shot , never had an issue except for availability . The ITX I bought was significantly harder material . I loaded it for my Benelli , used (and still use) Nice Shot in the A5s and 1100 and Model 12

Last edited by bigboyd4466 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

I use nice shot in my RST 16 ga loads, shoots great, MADE for old guns.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
gjw
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:31 pm  Reply with quote

Hi, I've used both in my vintage English guns and when loaded to low pressure there are no problems at all. No bbls blowing up, no ruined bbls etc.

If the guff you got on the Spanish forum came from an individual whose sign on name starts with a K, the just consider the source. This fellow is the self appointed "expert" on all Spanish guns. Only his opinion counts and anyone who disagrees with him is either a fool or an idiot. I don't post much on that board because of this attitude.

Anyway, back on track, you'll be just fine with either of these non-tox shot and loads.

Good Luck!

Greg
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:07 am  Reply with quote

I don't know if there are differences or the various shot is just "branded" differently, but I have used Hevi shot Classic Doubles and Kent Tungsten Matrix in 16 ga, even full choke with no problems- but as noted, they are definitely different from ITX, but I don't know how they compare with Nice.
Hootch
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

Have used both, although ITX sparingly as I was testing both at same time and I went with Nice Shot immediately.

I think you would have to shoot a whole bunch for either to ruin a barrel. Just my two cents.
Carlos
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

Just got my shipment of NICE shot. One kilo of #4 and another of #6. Most of my guns are older and I have been told that nice shot can be substituted for lead. This will be the first time I have been able to get out for ducks & geese since the lead ban. I am thinking of loading a few rounds of #6 for my 16s and both, mostly #4, for twelve. Shooting will be along the Fraser River, where Son-in-Law knows there is good hunting.
ksfolwer166
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Your not going to blow up a shotgun just by changing the shot, provided the weight is within normal range for the gauge. Also you will not ruin a barrel with hard shot if the chokes are kept open. Though both ITX10 and Nice Shot are soft shot. If anyone thinks that either of those two will blow up or ruin a shotgun then I would advise then to find a different hobby cause that is just paranoia right there or someone who hates BPI or Dan.
rdja
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Carlos,
You will be very happy with the Nice shot. You can make a direct substitution in any recipe for lead. But it may pattern different so some patterning work may be needed. I shot #6 thru mod and full in my marlin 90 and got great patterns. The 4 shot may need more open chokes.
It is suggested to choose a load that is at least 1500psi below maximum. Nice shot does not deform as lead does at first ignition, so pressure MAY increase possibly 1500 psi over lead. Most people think that is just a very conservative suggestion. But I have a couple of loads that perform well and they started at pressures below 10000.

Careful though, duck hunting can be very addicting.
Nate
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

As per rdja, the recommendation is to reduce pressure from a lead load for loading data. There is also a recommendation to use the next lower shot charge for Nice loads, i.e., substitute 1 oz for 1 1/8ox. Last but not least there is loading data available from Nice people.

Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:13 am  Reply with quote

There is not necessarily any need to search for a load 1500psi lower.
I have had loads tested and they came out LOWER than the published lead loads, all else the same.

Make direct sub, or whatever you want, have them tested. Only way to know.
I have had no problems with patterns using the Nice Shot. All in all to me it loads the same, patterns the same and kills the same.

That is through 16ga barrels, fixed chokes old barrels, and choke tubes new barrels.

I have not enough experience with ITX.