16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Your Thoughts On 1 1/8oz In A 16ga
gjw
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:47 am  Reply with quote

Hi all, as we all know the "square" load for a 16 is 1 oz, but what do you all think about the 1 1/8oz loads being offered (either reloads or factory). Good, bad, pros & cons? Remember the old saying about our beloved 16ga you can load up to a 12ga.

My own thoughts are that I think the load does have a place for late season wild pheasants. That little extra may mean the difference between a cripple and one in the bag. Most of my hunting is done with 1 oz loads, but I have found that little extra can help when the birds are a bit tougher and wilder.

So....what do you think?

Best!

Greg
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:01 am  Reply with quote

For late season pheasant I load 1 1/8 oz. of #5 1/2 shot in my mod barrel and 1 oz. of #6 in my Imp Cyl Barrel. The extra 1/8 oz. in a slightly larger size has approximately the same pellet count and a little more down range energy.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:28 am  Reply with quote

When I head out west to hunt all the different grouse, quail, partridge and pheasant, I screw the Light Mod and Improved Mod chokes into my BSA Classic 16 ga and shoot Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6's unless going after pheasant exclusively where I go with #5's. The 1 1/8 oz loads and tighter chokes really work well on birds that don't hold nearly as tight as the bobwhite back home.

calebg
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:15 am  Reply with quote

My two 16ga guns are both around 5 1/2 pounds, so I stick to 1oz loads.

I tried the 1 1/8oz shells, but they really kick in a gun that light. The extra 1/8oz didn't seem like it was worth the recoil. Granted, I tried them at the range. Shooting a couple in a day at birds while wearing a heavy coat might be a different story.

If I had a heavier 16, I would almost certainly use the heavy loads for late season birds. As it is, I just my 6 3/4 pound 12ga when I want more than an ounce of shot.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:42 am  Reply with quote

I like to use 1 1/8 and/or 1/16 oz (B&P) on pheasant with my 16's. Two of my 16's are strong enough to take the pounding of the stout 16 ga. loads. I'll take that little edge on tough wild pheasants.

My Simson 16 is just under 6 pounds, so it see's 1 oz. at the most and usually less. This gun could just as well be a 20 or 28 gauge for its uses in the grouse woodcock jungles.

I also have light 12's, but slimmer 16's are just nicer to carry pound for pound. I'f I bump up to 1 1/4oz loads or greater I grab a 12.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:07 am  Reply with quote

I didn't think of the gun weight issue with the 1 1/8 oz loads as brought up by Dave Erickson. With my preference in SXS's being single trigger, POW stock and semi-beavertail forends, I'm not cursed with having to worry about too light a gun. My go to 16 ga BSA Classic goes 6 pounds 11 oz, my Ugartechea 257 goes 6 pounds 12 oz, the Tristar Bittany goes 6 pounds 12 oz and the two 16 ga CZ Ringnecks both weigh over 7 1/2 pounds. No too light 16 ga guns here.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:29 am  Reply with quote

I use 1 1/8 oz. loads for pheasant hunting, prairie grouse, sharp tails, crows, pigeons and some clay target loads.

I think each payload has it's uses from 3/4 to 1 1/4 oz.

I use mostly 1 and 1 1/8 oz. loads in the 16 Gauge.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Not to offend anyone, but the 16 is not a "square load"- We are shooting shot loads shaped like canisters, which means that the load is considerably shorter than it is wide.

The intent is not to derail the original thought. Back in the day I hunted waterfowl with a 20 ga Superposed. Mallards got 1 oz #6 while Canadas got 1 1/4 oz #4. I had some short magnum 1 1/8oz 4s & 6s that got used when I was short of the others. If a 20 ga "trim" gun can handle those loads, a 16 ga should handle them at least as well, unless there is a fitting issue between the metal and wood.

1 1/8 and even 1 1/4oz loads have a purpose in the field. When used for that purpose and not used in an attempt to cover marginal shooting, the amount shot will have minimal effect on both shooter and gun.
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

A "square load" means the height of the shot column is the same dimension as the diameter of the bore. The English gunwriters, gunmakers & interested shooters of the 19th & early 20th Centuries, found that the most even patterns with the technology available resulted from a square load. Shot protectors and hardened shot changed the calculations but it is still a good starting point for effective loads. I'm not sure what a square load in 16 ga. is, but in 12 ga. it is 1 1/16 oz.

Using the term "square load" to describe a blackpowder load with even volumes of shot & powder is incorrect terminology, but the result does pass the rule of thumb test. Dropping the powder somewhat results in lower mv's but tighter patterns.
rudolph31
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have never thought the term was to be taken literally. I assumed it was a reference to how gauge is determined--the number of round lead balls, the diameter of the bore, to the pound. A ball that fit down a 16 would weigh 1 oz. Maybe we should call it a "Round Load".
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

For hunting, I like the heaviest I can get into the shell. With the 16 gauge, that means 1-1/4 oz at no less than 1220 fps. I go for the larger shot, too, No. 5 being my favorite. I mostly shoot these from my Sweet Sixteens and 1100. The lighter pumps and doubles get 1 oz so I won't wreck my old shoulder.

Dan
3crosses
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have 6 16 gauges. The heaviest one of which is a sweet. I leave the 1-1/8 ounce loads at the store.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

gjw,

I've had great success with 1 1/8oz 16ga loads for pheasants and rabbits. I like the Federal Hi-Power loads and the PMC field loads for 16ga hunting ammo, but there are lots of good brands. If your guns are stout enough, I think wild pheasants for sure are good candidatesfor such a load.
renaudnw
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

In the grouse woods, I like 1oz of 7-1/2 in the improved barrel and 1-1/8oz of 6 in the mod barrel. The extra 25 to 30 pellets of #6 (going from 1oz to 1-1/8oz) help to fill out the pattern. Also seems to work well on early season pheasants in the mod/full barrels when flushing birds without the benefit of a dog.

Nothing makes a gun more effective than practice.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

back in my yute , there was a 23/4-11/8 load for field use ... 1165 fps . I went thru many cases and have about 1/2 of one left . They were just the cats meow for pheas out of that pld FC m12. Don't know if they have the same load nowadays , but I'd get em again in a heartbeat !