16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Merkel 2016 vs B Rizzini Aurum
charlie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking to replace an Arrieta that I sold over a year ago. I hunted last year without a 16g for the first time in as long as I can remember and felt naked. I want a replacement for this hunting season. I have not made a final decision by any means, but, currently, I am considering purchasing either a Merkel 2016 or Rizzini Aurum. The gun would be my primary hunting gun and I focus on W/C and grouse, but would use it on trips for prairie birds, etc. 6 to 6.5 lbs seems to be a good weight range. I liked the 30" barrels on my Arrieta, but would consider 28" as a suitable alternative. I am also looking for a gun with very nice wood....not exhibition grade, but better than field grade.

The Merkel weighs in at 6lbs, is in good condition, and has fixed chokes of M/F that I would want to open up to IC/M or IC/IM. I have seen the Merkel in person. It is a very nice gun, but I believe it to be overpriced at $5,500. Actually I think it might be considerably overpriced for a gun in the 90 - 95% range.

The Rizzinis I have seen are listed on Guns Intl. There are several listed. The ones most comparable to the Merkel (28" barrels) are priced right around $3,500 and offer choke tubes. The wood on the Merkel appears nicer to me, but I can't be certain as pictures can be deceiving.

I like the weight of the Merkel, but am concerned the price is wrong. I don't know much about either model and would welcome advice. Of course I would welcome other suggestions. For the record, I loved my Arrieta and sold it due to what I was told was an unrepairable issue with the right barrel. I love SxS and will probably acquire another. However, in my experience, I shoot O/U better so I am focused on that direction for now.

I appreciate any thoughts or advice you have for me. Thanks.

Charlie
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome charlie

On your first posting Very Happy

I vote for Merkel, they have better resale value
and I feel they are better engineered.

As for the price, I would haggle a bit and point out the need
for screw-in or modification. Still Merkel

Mike

p.s. I tried to find a 2016 for sale at $5500 or less and was NOT successful

But did find a nice one, maybe it is still available
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15840&highlight=merkel+2016

Last edited by skeettx on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Wasn't your Arrieta an SxS? If so, are you considering making a transition to an O/U? Why?
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

He said
"For the record, I loved my Arrieta and sold it due to what I was told was an unrepairable issue with the right barrel. I love SxS and will probably acquire another. However, in my experience, I shoot O/U better so I am focused on that direction for now."
JonP
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
point out the need for screw-in or modification.

Sure use it to haggle...but don't waste your money on screw in chokes. Experiment with a few different shells and you'll find that you'll have differing patterns to choose from.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:44 am  Reply with quote

I have a Rizzini Arum Classic straight grip that I shoot Clays with great gun great feel. The Merkel is higher quality and therefore more money. I bought mine off the net for $2,000 new in the box. 29" barrels IC/Mod will handle any target that the courses throw and any bird that flies. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
He said
"For the record, I loved my Arrieta and sold it due to what I was told was an unrepairable issue with the right barrel. I love SxS and will probably acquire another. However, in my experience, I shoot O/U better so I am focused on that direction for now."

Yup. I missed that. Thanks.

I still have two questions for the OP. First--why do you think you shoot better w/ an O/U?

I'm asking because I used to think the same way. It's true for my trap shooting. Not so for hunting. I came to find I can wing shoot equally well with any type of shotgun as long as it is well balanced enough between the hands, fits me well, and the barrels are regulated to both hit spot on whatever I'm focused on.

Second-- what was the unfixable problem with the right barrel? Were the barrels poorly regulated? Thanks.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

Remember, this is his FIRST post !!
Be gentle

If he wants an O/U, so be it

Merkel is my choice of his two options
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

How 'bout we let the man speak for himself Skeet. We might learn something if we listen up.
charlie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
skeettx wrote:
He said

Yup. I missed that. Thanks.

I still have two questions for the OP. First--why do you think you shoot better w/ an O/U?

I'm asking because I used to think the same way. It's true for my trap shooting. Not so for hunting. I came to find I can wing shoot equally well with any type of shotgun as long as it is well balanced enough between the hands, fits me well, and the barrels are regulated to both hit spot on whatever I'm focused on.

Second-- what was the unfixable problem with the right barrel? Were the barrels poorly regulated? Thanks.

I've exclusively upland bird hunted with a sxs for as long as I've been bird hunting...about 10 yrs or so. I also shot a moderate amount of clays each year too. I have fair results with both. However when I have shot clays with an o/u I just shoot more consistently. I am leaning that way for my game gun based on that experience. I really have no idea, but I want to try.

I loved my 16g Arrieta and still have a 20g Kimber Valier I won in a raffle so I still have sxs option for this season.........am I allowed to mention another gauge on this site or is that considered blasphemy?

The Arrieta was a 16g & 20g two barrel set. I was considering selling or trading the Arrieta for different 16g since I wasn't using the 20g barrels and had the Kimber to fill that need. I sent the gun to Griffin & Howe for appraisal and to have a few dings repaired. I got a call telling me the 16g's right barrel had a bulge about 1/3rd up the barrel and it couldn't be fixed. You couldn't really see it, but they measured the barrel and deemed it wasn't safe or repairable in their opinion. Because they had nothing to gain from lying since I was never selling them the gun and only service revenue to lose, I believed them. I think I should have received a second opinion, but I didn't. In any event here I am.
charlie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Remember, this is his FIRST post !!
Be gentle

If he wants an O/U, so be it

Merkel is my choice of his two options

1st post but not new to the game. I think I want an o/u now but I really love sxs guns. I will give the o/u a go, but I plan on migrating back for a sxs purchase down the road. Although I have been eyeing some beauties now. We'll see. I still am not sold. I have been hashing this over since July 13, 2013 with no final decision. As I said I am open to other suggestions. I leaning Merkel, too but for a brush busting game gun the Rizzini might be fine too.

I welcome suggestions. I am not easily offended.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for your candid answers Charlie. Here are my thoughts based on my experiences.

Target shooting is an extension of wing shooting and not the other way around.

IMO, wing shooting is the art of hitting an unpredictable moving target (flying game bird or running rabbit) with a shotgun by using one's instinctive hand/eye coordination coupled with well polished gun handling. On the other hand, target shooting with a shotgun in general consists of various specialized disciplines. Each one has it's own specialized techniques and specialized equipment which do not necessarily mesh well with purely instinctive wing shooting. Most folks learn to shoot predictable flying targets with an already mounted gun and never really progress past that point. Works fine for target shooting. Doesn't work well at all for wing shooting.

Yes, we can best learn the basics of wing shooting on a skeet field (and should)-- the basics being acquiring the target with our eyes and then quickly focusing our consciousness on it, smoothly and precisely mounting the gun so it is well aligned with the mark as it comes up to our face and shoulder, swinging through the target (don't think lead here--think swing), and following through after the shot.

However, once we know the gun handling basics well enough to frequently hit the mark, we can best perfect our instinctive wing shooting skills by shooting only from low gun at surprise targets with a well fitted gun that that comes up precisely aligned with the mark as it hits our face and shoulder in one smooth, polished, move.

Wing shooting cannot be learned with a pre-mounted gun, nor can it be learned with a gun that does not precisely fit us. Learning how a gun fits us best and how to properly mount it while visually tracking a flying target takes lots of time and practice.

Gun trading is the art and science of making money through buying and selling guns.

Perhaps it is best to take professional opinions given over a gun trading counter with a grain of salt and some caution. Professional gun traders are not in it primarily to educate us gun owners. They are in it for the money. Just how it is. Live and learn.

Good luck Charlie. I hope you do well and enjoy many hunts.
charlie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
I have a Rizzini Arum Classic straight grip that I shoot Clays with great gun great feel. The Merkel is higher quality and therefore more money. I bought mine off the net for $2,000 new in the box. 29" barrels IC/Mod will handle any target that the courses throw and any bird that flies. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Love your handle.....a favorite breed of mine. I am seeing the Aurum's in the $3,500 range. Is that too high? That's a big difference between $2k and $3.5k.
JonP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:41 am  Reply with quote

I don't know the Aurum that well....but I do know Merkels....and I'm willing to bet that that DAC and DAH of these two guns is quite different. Could be that mounting both these guns makes the choice for you.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43 am  Reply with quote

I just got lucky and plunked down the money when i ran across it. I wasn't looking for one but knew it was a good buy. I like the gun I have Fox's, LC'S, AYA, Citori, Merkel, Ithica and others. It compares well with all of them. I have been eyeing the new Rizzini round body o/u I would have bought one if I could find a 29 or 30 inch.