16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hull lifespan
goathoof
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone taken the time to note if they have an effective sporting or hunting reload that they have found maximizes the hull life? If so, is it the crimp style, payload, powder and charge, or wad that they feel gives the extra hull use.? Most on this site favor a particular hull, but is there a load that extends their favorite hull's usefulness? Thank you.
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Hull life is one of the reasons that I switched to all brass. You can get 3000 + loads with these.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

The best hull right now, for longevity is the Cheddite.

Some folks swear that loads, wads, powders etc make a difference as to how long a hull lasts, i think they are still hallucinating from earlier drug use.

If some component makes a difference in hull life, it isn't much of a difference.

Roll crimping is probably harder on a hull than fold crimping, but I am sure the roll crimp lovers will tell you different. Another group that has obviously smoked too much
Ganja in a previous lifetime.

As you can tell I don't think it matters enough to bother with. Maybe some of the heavy buffered lead, buffered bismuth or steel shot loads kill the crimp area, but run of the mill lead loads........nah!!!

Cool Very Happy

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

Oh yeah I forgot the brass hull guys, the hulls are not very practical except for low volume stuff in break actions and the guys who reload them have way too much time on their hands.

I'd fall asleep of boredom after reloading the first 2!! Very Happy

mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
goathoof
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I am an oddball. I keep 100 magtech brass loads on hand. Also, I can get more reloadings from the black remington hulls with green dot, DR16, 3/4 oz lead, and a roll crimp. Shocked
Doggai
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:05 am  Reply with quote

An issue commonly ignored when discussing the life expectancy of a hull is the loss in tensile strength of the crimp part of the reloaded hull. To begin, the crimp is the primary factor in consistent development of pressure from the burning of the powder in the hull.

Over the first few reloads the quality of the crimp remains fairly stable. As the number of reloads of a hull grow, the crimp gets less effective in creating sustainable pressures and the shot to shot performance out of a box of reloads varies. As crimp quality deteriorates, PSI drops, so does FPS. In hunting and target shooting consistent performance demands consistency in a hull; a weak crimp will negatively affect that quality performance we all want.

Question = Shocked

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Way back when and before plastic, I used paper hulls. They would often get pin holes where the paper met the brass. I have a lifetime supply of the old Winchester AA hulls in 12 and 20 gauge and if I remember correctly, the AA's are good for up to 10 reloads. If I ever of back to 20 or 12 GA I'll try and keep track of the AA reload life.
Re loading all brass shells; Mark, wrote, "I'd fall asleep of boredom after reloading the first 2!! Very Happy"
Yeah, Mark I know what ya mean, I do miss the excitement pulling the press handle and watching the finished shell roll out. Laughing
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:00 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for knowing my posts were just poking fun, not to be taken seriously.

Very Happy Cool

Have a great weekend.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

I've also found the crimps needed when using slower burning powders for heavier shot loads at higher velocities tend to wear out plastic hulls faster. It's the main reason why I use only once fired hulls for high performance hunting loads.

Slow burning powders demand a very firm, tight, slightly deeper, well tapered crimp in order to get consistently good performance. The extra depth of the rim and the sharper crease needed for a tight, firm, well tapered crimp adds to the stress on the plastic as the crimp is pushed open by the shot. There is no way to avoid this. So I use the hull once for hunting loads, and then save it for less demanding prctice/fun loads if it is still serviceable.

And frankly, I've been loading premium compression formed hulls like WWAA, Peters Blue Magics, Remington Premier/STS, Federal Gold Medal, et.al. for over four decades. I've never gotten more then 5 or 6 reloadings before the hulls were worn out beyond what I consider to be serviceable for any type of load. The very toughest, longest lasting ones I've ever used were the original 12 gauge kelly green Remington Premiers. Remington screwed up when they discontinued them for the metallic green STS hulls IMO. The Premiers probably were lasting too long to suit the damned corporate bean counters in charge of profits. It's always about the bottom line ain't it. Rolling Eyes
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

And here I am still loading the Remington All American hulls and Federal Champion II Champagne hulls

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

That's probably because skeet shooters don't much give a damn about things like load performance as long as they can get just one more loading out of that very dilapitated looking antique hull. I've known some guys who were probably still loading their first box of hulls after four decades. The repair tape was holding up okay. Laughing
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, but how do you really feel about this subject Smile
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:04 am  Reply with quote

Yah Mon, tis true, both Bob and Jimmy came to me in a dream after using my glaucoma medicine and shared with me how the good vibrations from using the roll crimp tool align the molecules of plastic with the center of the universe to extend hull life...indefinitely....roll crimping is enlightenment, join we rollstafarian's and never look back mon...tis good medicine...

All kiding aside, using GD and fold crimping through all last winter for range shooting and trying to run through a batch of RGL hulls I was surprised how well they've held up, by the time all are in the split & crusty trim back and roll crimp pile they will have had around 7 reloads through them, nothing scientific, just an observation that changed my thoughts on RGL hulls and "maybe" using GD extended hull life.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:17 am  Reply with quote

For the casual clays I shoot I'm not fussy about my 16ga. crimps. I shoot them until they are pretty bad. A small split or two will still get loaded and they all go bang and break clays. I've got some Rem. hulls that have been loaded many times. Can't be too fussy if your a 16 scrounger.