16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Longshot and light loads
3birddogs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Is there any application of Longshot to 7/8 oz loads. Stopped at Cabelas/Wheeling this evening and they had 15+ bottles of Longshot. With friends and family discount, it came to $22/lb., so I picked up 2. I see now where it is mostly used in heavier loadings--I was going to use it to shoot clays, grouse and woodcock.
I found a load written down in my notebook:
cheddite 2 1/2
Longshot 18 gr
w209
1 oz load
1200fps @7270 psi
wad was listed as simply 16 ga wad
Any know what wad that might be, or have a light load using Longshot? I have Win CF, RGL, FEds, and cheddite 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 hulls.
Should have looked before I leaped, but with the powder shortage I just went for it.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:42 am  Reply with quote

2001 shotshell manual -- hodgdon

rgl--sp16--18.5 g LS--1165 fps
waa16-- 18.5LS--

19.5LS-- 1220 fps

LongShot is good stuff check out the web site

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:23 am  Reply with quote

3birddogs wrote:
Is there any application of Longshot to 7/8 oz loads. Stopped at Cabelas/Wheeling this evening and they had 15+ bottles of Longshot. With friends and family discount, it came to $22/lb., so I picked up 2. I see now where it is mostly used in heavier loadings--I was going to use it to shoot clays, grouse and woodcock.
I found a load written down in my notebook:
cheddite 2 1/2
Longshot 18 gr
w209
1 oz load
1200fps @7270 psi
wad was listed as simply 16 ga wad
Any know what wad that might be, or have a light load using Longshot? I have Win CF, RGL, FEds, and cheddite 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 hulls.
Should have looked before I leaped, but with the powder shortage I just went for it.

I saw that load on the Parker site , shows the 2116 wad which should be the sg16 wad

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7565

Seems it was developed by Precision , you might want to call them.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks FN 16ga and all others, I couldnot remember where I had seen that post.
MY FAVORITE FORUMS ARE THE Parker and 16 ga sites.
It doesn't seem like LS would be a good fit with 7/8 oz loads--any body here tried it for 7/8?

ksfolwer166
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Let me first say that none of these loads have been velocity or pressure tested but are 1oz recipes reduced to 7/8oz and in the case of the spreader load per the manufactures directions. I had loaded up and shot some rolled crimped RGL, NS 686, 25.4gr LS, SP16, 7/8oz #7 1/2, OS but I only made and shot five of them. So I can't comment on whether or not they are under pressured. I also have made up but not shot the above load but with 22.0gr of LongShot and a Polywad spreader insert instead of a OS card. It has been well established that LS works better at higher pressures and because of that is not a good choice for reduced loads.
Threedogs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

It's a fine powder for light and heavy loads. Go on the hogdon site. My local gun shop got 10 cans in last week...........and I bought some..........I was all out of long shot and my green dot was almost gone too so it was a good find.

BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

I have found that many of the slower burning (magnum) powders can be used for lite loads. With current powder shortages, I have used up 3-4# of old AL7 and several pounds of W571 for sptg clay 7/8 oz 16ga loads with "good" results. These older powders are dirty and you use more powder per load than you would with more ideal powder like Green Dot. I try to find data for lightest load for subject powder (usually 1 or 1 1/8oz of lead) and work down on powder from there till things get too dirty. I will use up my old AL7, 571, 540 and maybe PB before the newer Longshot & Unique; hopeing powder shortage will end before then. IMO, better to go old and slow with 16ga rather new and hot like Clays, Red Dot, etc as some are trying.

jrothWA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

Love the quote at bottom of your reply.

Present owner of B&W Springer!
twoshooter
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:41 am  Reply with quote

I am just starting to load for the 16, I am using Longshot and cheddite hulls. My crimps seem too deep, but the patterns are actually TOO tight for most bird hunting. This is supposed to be a low pressure load according to my book, in the mid 8K range. I suppose increasing velocity would open the patterns some??
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

What is your load data?

rkittine
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking for some Longshot if anyone near New York City sees any - New Jersey, Down State New York, Connecticut or Massachusetts. From my 5th Edition Lyman Shotgun loading manual (I am brand new to loading 16s, though have a lot of experience in the other gauges) Longshot looks like it would be the best all around powder with a variety of hulls and a reasonable inventory of different primers. I have Remington and Federal Dove Hulls as well as Herter's. Want to load 1 1/16 Oz and 1 1/8 oz 9s for Skeet.

I am going to try back ordering from Beikirch in Rochester as I am told they are very good about taking orders and not forgetting to call when the stock comes in.

I like to buy in larger quantity like 30 pounders for Red Dot.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

when I lived in Geneva I loved to go to Beikirch's . Bought a lot of guns there. and shot was $16.00 a bag.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:57 am  Reply with quote

I had an FFL for a lot of years and remember when I could buy shot for $11.00 a bag and primers for under $10.00 per 1,000, but of course I had a lot less money then. Though prices have gone up on most everything (as bad as $3.50 a gallon gas is, when I was a kid and it was $.35 per gallon, I was making not even close to 10% or what I make to day, so a lot of increases are in relationship to past inflation etc.), BUT regardless of the price increases, I always used to be able to load for a good amount less than factory ammo. Only reason I am bothering to load 16s is that I want 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 oz, no. 9s. Been able to buy Remington Dove 1 oz 8s for $60.00 a case. Not much savings in loading anymore. When you figure the amoratization of the equipment, and the time (though I enjoy doing it), it is more expensive then factory. Now if I can get enough of the guys at the club to get together for a mass buy, maybe we can make a dent in the costs.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting