16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shooting with gloves
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Since I began shooting more expensive guns, I have worn gloves to protect the metal and wood from skin moisture et al. Bob Allen ventilated and insulated, depending on the weather are my preferences. Recently I was told that wearing gloves can damage a guns finish faster than not wearing gloves.
I don't believe it. Has anyone heard such a thing? Do you wear shooting gloves?
Ooh, ooh, Mark, I almost forgot, gloves keep my shiny all brass hulls shiny. Laughing Laughing
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:26 am  Reply with quote

If it's cold enough, I'll wear gloves; for protection of my hands, not the gun. I've noticed no difference between the wear from my skin or that of some deceased animal having affects on the gun.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:12 am  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
Recently I was told that wearing gloves can damage a guns finish faster than not wearing gloves.
I don't believe it. Has anyone heard such a thing?

I have never heard that either, but who knows. I generally prefer not to wear gloves for summer shooting unless I'm getting a splinter forend SxS heated up and then the insulated Gripswells go on (at least the left glove).

I like wearing thin golf type gloves when it gets colder.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:25 am  Reply with quote

I like mittens. Saves on shells to

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 am  Reply with quote

I do not know if they accelerate gun wear, but if sand or other clutter is trapped in the glove material, I could see this happening.

I use wool glove inserts for most hunting except dove hunting.

Really helps on the briar and bushes for upland game and keeps the hands warm for waterfowl

I also wear inserts for skeet shooting in cold weather or when I am shooting side by sides with barrels that get HOT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-MILITARY-ISSUE-OD-WOOL-M1949-GLOVE-INSERT-SZ-4-VG-/280518359585

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

If you clean & oil the surface of the shotgun it's immaterial whether you wear gloves or not. Excellent point made here though about anything abrasive
embedded in a (say leather) glove. Sand etc could definitely scratch a finish on wood or bluing. I hunt late season Grouse (depending on snow depth) well into January in N. WIsc. Temps can be WELL below 0* F. I have to wear gloves & warm ones. I don't have very good circulation (warmth) in my hands so it's a challenge.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

I suspect that the glove vs. no glove idea would fall about equal on each side and be dependent upon everything from body chemistry to the type of gun finish to region of the country...to the point that all are little enough to worry over and all can be a factor to some degree.
Kinda like a mid-bead.
Actually, I prefer the look of a worn metal finish on a scattergun.
Honest wear, as opposed to abuse, implies.....having been there and back and memories.

I would say that case colors wear faster than bluing, to me.

Wearing gloves can provide occasional obvious advantages of protection and comfort but, as my father once said..."all you can do with gloves on, is whistle."
Sums it up, for me.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

fourtrac,

YUP on the cold hands and I use a SMALL HotHands, and put them on the
back of the hands. Sure does work!!

http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-40-pairs/dp/B0007ZF4OA

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
canvasback
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I live and hunt farther north than most of you. I wear nothing down to about 40 degrees, golf gloves down to about 15 degrees and thicker, insulated gloves below that. Variables are wind and terrain (i.e how hard am I working). That is when I am upland hunting.

Duck hunting in the marsh is different. Not moving as much and always near water so much warmer gloves on hand.

I have about 10 different pair of all sorts so I don't have any particular favorites. All depends on conditions and my activity level.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Confession, I have a small tub of these orange acrcyllic gives and they work pretty well for me after the thin golf gloves get put away. They can be found at most any farm and/or hardware store. They are not in the Orvis catalog.
[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/f057ead9j]
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

I don't believe it. I wear the same type of gloves year around. I haven't worn the finish off any shotgun I own.

I wear Franklin baseball gloves.

sneem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

I only wear gloves in hot weather to protect from hot barrels and cold weather for cold. I know some people have acidic persperation, but I always though if you cleaned and oiled the surface after shooting it would be sufficient. It has worked for me.

JNW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

I used to shoot with "naked" hands as much as possible, even in our pleasant Minnesota winters. McIntosh wrote an article years ago about wearing gloves to protect your gun and to take a little bit of recoil as the gun slides back against the gloves. Now I can't stand to not wear gloves! I wear mostly Gun Gloves. They're expensive but their summer weight gloves are lighter than any golf or baseball glove I have found. My sweat does nasty things to gun metal, so it helps with that as well. I do clean my gloves regularly-put them on then wash my hands with warm soapy water and rinse well. It's amazing how much dirt and debris comes out of the gloves. I have quite a pile of shooting gloves of various weights, but consider them an essential part of my shooting kit.
Regards
Jeff
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:36 am  Reply with quote

Canvasback,
My nephew has good circulation in his hands. He wears nothing down to about 10*F. Then it's just lite cotton work gloves. His hands are like a hotpad.
Mine are like I just pulled them out of an ice bucket. Below 30*F I HAVE to wear heavy gloves (sux too). Hunting below zero I have to use the Citori 20 ga whitle lightening - it has a large trigger guard & accommodates a heavier glove well. I wished I had the "warm" hands. :roll:

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:43 am  Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned about getting blood from game on a gun, particularly blued metal. For some reason, it makes a mess.
Second would be grit in the gloves, be they leather, wool or whatever, scratching the finish.

You might like the wool glove inserts (Skeettx, I'm looking at you) but I find I cannot get a good grip, or as good a grip as I'd like while wearing them. I prefer the D3A leather glove shells that go outside the wool glove liners. I'll use just the shells in warmer weather and the shells and liners when it's really cold.

The handwarmer inside the gloves really works.

Of course, these aren't as readily available now - I think the military has dropped them from the uniform. So, I had a bit of a time trying to find a replacement pair when the dog ate one I'd gotten 27 winters out of. But I did find it.

Even then, I like to have my trigger hand free of all gloves when shooting because I like to have a very positive "feel" around the safety and triggers.