16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Couple questions about Winchester slugs.
JDH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

Hi. New to being registered here but have looked at the site quite a few times! Since Winchester foolishly (in my opinion) decided to can their Super X slugs a few years back I am in quite the jam. They always seemed to shoot the best out of my deerslayers. I do have a fully rifled barrel from Ithica that shoots the Commander sabots great also.

Question 1. Has anybody ever run across a slug mold or would know of somebody who could make a slug mold that would be close to the super x?

Question 2. I found a guy who would part with a couple boxes and bought them. They are in a white box with orange and red logos and writing. On the back of the box is a diagram of the slug. Two of the boxes have bar codes while one of them does not. Anybody have an estimate on the age of these badboys? Just for curiosity sake. I think I remember getting slugs in the 90s' that had this packaging.

Kind of long but thanks for any help!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

I'd choose the rifled barrel and accurately matched sabot slug combo over any smooth bore if I had that choice. We can't see or account for every little wisp of grass, tiny twig, or small leaf between us and a deer under normal deer hunting conditions where shotguns are mandated. That means in the woods at short to moderate ranges where open clear shots can be scarce--especially under lower light conditions.

It doesn't take much at all to throw a plain, unstabilized ball or foster slug off track. A stabilized slug will stay on course truer and further out despite contact with small leaves and such. Larger stabilized round balls of 58 cal. or bigger track even truer through junk in my experience. They also hold onto their energy very well for a sphere, and tend to penetrate through flesh and bone in a straighter line than a can shaped projectile. That matters the most when a broadside shot through the chest isn't an option--which tends to be the norm up closer in the woods.

Matching the bore size and the foster slug is very important in my experience. I've never had any luck with Winchester foster slugs., but I've never owned an Ithaca Deerslayer slug barrel in any gauge either. So I can't say much about it in truth. All I could say is from others--which is they tend to be very accurate for smoothbores if the right slug is matched to them.

I do know the original 12 ga. Deerslayer smoothbore slug barrels have considerably snugger bores than any other. I've measured a few for other folks and found that it's true. I also know the Winchester foster slugs I've examined and measured are smaller in diameter than any of the Remingtons and Federals I've miked. This might help explain why the two go together. Don't know about the new ones though.

I've successfully and closely grouped up to three unstabilized Remington Slugger foster slugs at fifty yards out of a smooth 12 ga 1100 slug barrel from a rest at one time. Both the slugs and the bores measure just about .725"--at least mine do (or did). However, two tightly grouped shots and one flyer is more the norm.

Unprotected lead slugs foul even a smooth bore in short order. I now shoot two, and wipe the bore with a piece of fine brass wire mesh molded over a swab followed by a piece of Bell's Lead Out cloth draped over a second swab. Helps me to sight the gun in before the season better than shooting three or more at a time. Two plus two plus two equals six dead on the money. I'm for that.

After all, how many of us have ever gotten more than two shots at a standing or slow moving deer. One is usually all she wrote. I'd like to know for certain my bore is clean and dry and my sights are true, so that one shot has a chance to go where it's supposed to if I do my part.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:31 pm  Reply with quote

I'm guessing that you are looking for 16 ga WW slugs? There are a few (foreign) slugs available for the 16 ga, but I don't know how well they reload into WW hulls.