16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powder Migration Question
gjw
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Hi all, has anyone had any problems with powder migration when using 800-X and a SP16 wad in straight walled hulls?

Thanks!

Greg
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Never tried that combo, but had some serious problems with Universal, SP16s and Fed hulls. I'll never mismatch wads again.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 am  Reply with quote

My favorite hunting load uses that combo and I have never had a powder migration problem in the 12 or so years I have been using it. I shoot an autoloader and these loads are in and out of the gun, my vest and bounced around pretty good before they get fired sometimes. No powder migration issues to date.

Federal 16 gauge hull with paper basewad.
CCI 209
23.0 grains 800-X
Remington SP16 wad
1 1/8 oz. lead shot

1265 FPS......9800 PSI

gjw
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:19 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Mark...you never fail!

Best!

Greg
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Mark,

I'm guessing that your results that migration hasn't been a problem for your loads is based on the load performing as expected when shot- which is to say, any migration that occurred was insufficient to affect how the load shot. Is this correct?
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

No, the powder doesn't migrate past the wad in that load.

I don't ever think that just because a load goes bang it is a good load.

If a load fits properly, and you crimp it firmly, at least with 800-X, the SP16 wad and the Federal hull, it will flare the over powder cup just enough to keep the powder in place.

The load I just posted fits nice and tight. Also remember I don't use MEC bars, and end up throwing a light shot charge. It is a full 1 1/8 oz. of magnum shot. I also crimp it a full 1/16" deep, and roll the shoulder of the crimp.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't mean to be offensive- it's just I didn't think that you would be cutting a load up to check on the status of the powder, and that performing satisfactorily entails much more than just going bang. But your explanation about how things tighten-up in the loading process clears how you know that migrating powder is not a problem. Smile Smile Cool
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

AM- if you get some of the clear cases of any persuation , you will drive yourself to drink attempting to get the wad down without blowing some back above the wad . You will also drive yourself to drink trying to shake it up and create more migration . Fun if you like to drink ! .... Marks load goes way back in that powder co's manual .

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:08 am  Reply with quote

I been using a Fed hull sp16 wad 800x bismuth load that I got from Dogchaser . just for the heck of it , I rode them upside down in a plastic shell box in my truck for a month and then carried them in my pocket for a week or so . I made a little window cut down to the metal base on 2 sides and found very little powder ( just a few flakes ) above the gas seal . It was probably the little bit that got past the wad when I seated it .

Shot a little over two boxes of the same load last duck season and they all performed great .

I really didn't have any doubt because of the size of flake with 800x , but just wanted to see for myself .

Last edited by fn16ga on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:59 am  Reply with quote

As DC says, it seems powder migration can be kept to a minimum, regardless of components fit, if when seating the wad it is done with sufficient pressure to compress against the powder causing the wad skirt to flare out to seal against the side of the hull; then when crimping, it is done with sufficient pressure to hold the wad tightly down against the powder and flared against the hull. Seems like this method would work for wads designed for tapered hulls, used in thin sided hulls and with small ball powders, provided the wad was seated slowly enough that powder wasn't pulled along with the escaping air.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:40 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't use that hull-wad combination with small grain powders like SR7625 or PB no matter how good of crimp you have the powder will still migrate if the shells are carried .

I did the same test with SR7625 and the powder migrated terribly . Had the same problem with Unigue also , but not as bad .

Last edited by fn16ga on Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

There is no way you can get away with that combo hull and wad with SR7625.

The only other powder I have used it with was Longshot and it was OK. Again, it has to have a tight crimp for this to succeed. I only use enough wad pressure to seat the wad firmly on the powder, maybe 30 lbs. If you start crushing the cushion section of the wad, with excess wad pressure in the wad seating stage, it doesn't work as well, especially with Longshot. 800-X has such large flakes it is fairly migration resistant.

fn16ga, glad you have had success with that load. It patterns very well in my 1100 regardless of what choke I screw in, but for 95% of my hunting I use .015 LM.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Mark , I really appreciate that load , I shoot it through one of my belgium modified barrels and it works excellent . I did buy a couple of Muller choke tubes for my invector A5 barrel and am going try them this season .