16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR16 questions
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:25 am  Reply with quote

ok, I'm ready to break my addiction to 1 oz loads. Where is the best source for the DR's?

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:00 am  Reply with quote

SS - tell us how you REALLY feel ! ... some pts i agree with - DR'S can be a pita . I start my wad in by hand EVERY time - no case exception . Always have good results including rgl's . I load mostly shorter cases , so they work well . Longer cases , I seem to low bottom at 7/8 . Remember , co's like RST if they use dr's do not have to fuss about case mouths as they are virgin cases . Do not know the high speed load angle - that's from Nick direct . Do know that if these wads had been avail 30 yrs ago , would probably never have used anything else hunting wise since .(ok , I've had g-wads and keep them on hand and like them - mostly for slightly heavier loads that I don't use anymore )

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:06 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
Love them in the Cheddites and Federals. Hate them in the RGL's. The results on the clay target speak volumes. I have harder breaks with the 7/8 and 3/4 loads with the Dr16 than I do with 1oz and other wads. They maybe unconventional but they work well in the right application. I am very glad Nick made them I don't have to fuss with fillers. I welcome any component for the 16 gauge that affords we greater versatility with my gauge.

That's how I use them. I like the Gualandi 2025 in the RGL hulls, but hopeful that Claybuster gets that 7/8 oz. wad of theirs in production one of these days...
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:19 am  Reply with quote

Agree with some difficulties using the DR in RGLs on a progressive press (or mine at least), usually with cocked/crushed wads, so I just use them in other hulls. Remington or G-wads go in the Rem hulls, although I still occasionally get a cocked Remington wad in them.

Reloading Utopia would be to run 16s through the press as quickly as it flawlessly processes 12's. So far the limiting factor seems to be the components.

byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 am  Reply with quote

who is Nick?

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 am  Reply with quote

Nick is our buddy Nick Hammack - recognized easiest by the picture trips to Moo Dairy a couple yrs ago (in these posts) He is the inventor of and the mold maker for the DR . He spent a fortune to have his buddy make the mold at his shop and still owns the mold that DownRange uses to make the wad . He's a bit of a wanderer , and at last talking was leaning toward some Alaska adventures . Don't know (haven't heard ) if the bird bug will strike or not ! There is /was a series of posts about the progress of the Dr as it was created in our posts here , my paste doesn't seem to work here .

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:32 am  Reply with quote

I have reloaded quite a few DR16 on my 9000G with 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads in mostly Federal and Cheddite cases and have never had any issues. They don't cock, they do pattern well and I have seen consistent ballistics with the DR16.

I believe that either New Era or RST has used or uses the DR16 wad in some of their ammo.

It is a great wad, if you don't try to crush the crap out of it when you are reloading.

I do like the new Claybuster 16 ga wad better for loading RGL's with 7/8 oz. loads though.

If I get a chance I will post some patterns using the DR16 with 7/8 oz. loads.

I guess I don't understand the concern about the tabs on the petals of the DR16. Gualandi and B & P have those tabs and no one questions their performance.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

How to do what?

crimp the shells nicely with different loads;

add graphics to a photograph;

post the photographs?
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

exactly MIKE !

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
The DR16 is junk...... !

One man's assessment does not make it so. I've used the DR16 only in the RGL hull, and only on a MEC Grabber progressive press w/o any difficulties whatsoever--no cocked wads, blown patterns, or any other problem.

It is a wonderful wad for the purpose it was originally designed for. I think it is always better to learn to use the tools at hand correctly rather than blame them for one's own shortcomings.

I also believe there are undisclosed personal issues iinvolved which are causing the negativity expressed toward the DR16 wad. It leaves the validity of the negative assessment in question IMO.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

I would I think that many of us can reload the DR in an RGL. Never had any problems with it with 3/4 oz. loads. But I do think that 7/8 oz. is a bit tight with that combo, at least with my powder choice of Universal.

3/4 oz in an RGL with the DR 16 fits just fine.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Mark - Mike and I got into that short shell thing awhile back. Once we figured it out , he liked the long ones and I the short . Now that I'm down to the 5/8 , it's the cats meow in the shorties . Mike liked the long rgl's , so the 7/8 might be his cats meow . I don't go that heavy - are you still doing the long ones Mikey !? I try to only use the shorter shells of any persuation just because invariably they'll end up in my m12's .

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total