16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Recipe for PB in paper hull?
DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have a quantity of Cheddite 16-gauge primed paper hulls that I'd like to load with PB. Any recipes out there? I note that PB is used in 12 and 20 gauge reloads, so surely the 16 can use it. I'm mostly interested in 1 oz hunting loads.

Dan
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

First, I don't have any receipes for Cheddite paper hulls. If my memory serves me right, I have seen some data for these hulls floating around however; so it may be out there.

Your post jogged my memory all the way back to about 1970, coming in on semester break from college, where my brother and I used a Lee handloader to put together 16 gauge shells around the kitchen table at night--so we would have shells for the next day to bird hunt with. We loaded and banged a case one year (2 flats) over that 2-3 week period before we went back to school. Most or all with PB powder obtained locally, bagged up in lined paper sacks with fold down tabs like some current coffee bags. The old Lee loaders had a number of low pressure 'generic" loads on the sheet that came with the loader, and PB was one of the featured powders. A lot of the hulls we used were Federal papers, but we used about anything we could get our hands on. I don't have that sheet anymore, so I can't give you the receipe.

Along that line, the 1st Lyman Shotshell Handbook lists 3 16 gauge 1 ounce loads in Federal paper hulls. All use a total of about 5/8 inch of overpowder/fiber/felt, etc. wads with a Federal plastic shotcup (probably not essential) and Federal 209s. The three loads use from 18.0 to 21.0 grains of PB to achieve from 1130 to 1240 fps.

This should give you an idea of the amount of powder needed, but I would not load in Cheddite hulls until I had found the appropriate data! Be safe!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Dan,
There is one PB load listed for paper hulls under generic loads on the spreadsheet link at the top of this forum. It lists 19.2 grains of PB for an 1165 fps 1 ounce load, pretty consistent with what I sent above. However, see the disclaimer associated with these loads!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks. I actually have all of Chuckarman's 16-gauge reloading spreadsheets on my hard drive. Just didn't think to look there first!

Dan