16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  cheddite hulls
twoshooter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

I am not well versed in shotgun reloading like metallic, just acquired a 16 ga and some Cheddite hulls- new & primed. From what I glean from the meager info I can find- they are the same as WW hulls for reloading purposes. Are they compression formed 1 piece ? Are they 2 piece with plastic basewad? What WW shell are they the equivalent of for sure? I intend to use moderate to low pressure loads of 1 1/8 ounce and Longshot powder, I have BPI commander wads and Rem SP16 wads.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

evidently Cheddite supplies the hulls to Winchester for loading, so Winchester hulls of recent make are Cheddite. They are poly form straight sided hulls- more like Federal or Fiocchi than the previous Winchester CF.
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Hi, this might be of help.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0At1GjTxK0YbudHdQdEUtLWJwbVNyZVNudVF0MGk2WFE&gid=0

Just an absolute wonderful SS that's chuck full of great data. There is a section for Cheddite hulls.

If you look at the SS it tell you that you can use the load data for Win Poly Formed hulls. Lots of loads for Longshot in 1 1/8 payload.

The load that I'm going to use this fall is:

Cheddite Hull
Win 209 primer
21.5 grns 800-X
SP16 wad
1 1/8oz payload
1240fps and 9200psi

Good Luck!!!

Greg
twoshooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks much gjw- that site provided exactly what I was looking for! I intend to develop 2 loads, using #8 & #5 shot, should cover most things.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

Apparently either Cheddite or the Asian based companies which manufacture most of these typical generic 16 gauge Cheddite type hulls supply most of the hulls used by the global ammo industry now. If you look carefully at any of the brands which use these types of hulls, you will find they are all closely similar to the point of being interchangeable for reloading any of the recipes which produce mild to mid-range average peak pressures.

The typical modern Cheddite type hull is a polyformed design which has a flat plastic disc with a hole in the middle for the primer inserted into the bottom of the hull base. The biggest variations I've observed are the thicknesses of the various base wad discs and the overall length of the plastic hull tubes used from brand to brand. This is of little importance when it comes to powder ignition, because the actual volume and shape of the combustion chamber is not affected to any significant degree as long as the same wad designs are used in the load. The chamber is always a cylindrical shape w/ a flat bottom, so powder ignition, average peak pressures, and resulting velocities will not be affected to any very significant degree.

The one thing I do not recommend is mixing any of these various Cheddite type hulls together when reloading individual batches of ammo. Keep them separate to avoid crimping problems. The differences in the thickness of the plastic base wads and overall hull lengths will affect the overall shot/wad/column height inside the hull relative to the top of the hull mouth. These differences may or may not produce crimps which are too deep or shallow. However, in many cases, the column height may be safely adjusted by using a wad design with nothing more than a different overall height as long as the wad base is the same. The Remington R16 and SP16 is a good example of this. The Gualandi wads are as well. Filler wads might be used as well as long as they are placed so they cannot affect ignition, the crimps, or the shape of the shot column. The safest, most uniform place is always in the bottom of the shot cup under the shot.

Minor internal and external ballistic variations which could affect overall uniform results can be dealt with easily enough. You can usually observe the results well enough to be able to tweak your powder charges a bit and your reloading procedures accordingly to get good crimps and acceptable performance. As long as you avoid making any changes to any peak pressure recipes, you can usually get acceptable results with your reloads regardless of which of these Cheddite type hulls you use.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

"Made In Australia".

AS mention above best not mix different manufacturers to avoid problems.

Working on some reloads for hunting using REm GL (aka SP hulls) and new made Winchester, using Longshot powder.

Just completed shooting some Rem with 20grs of longshot , W209 and SP16 wad, for 1-1/8 oz of #5.

SMOKED the birds at the trap range NICELY, with little recoil.

Should have been about 1200fps with pressure of 8400psi.

Just have work on the Win hull for same.
gjw
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all, I loaded up some new Cheddite hulls yesterday using the following recipe:

Cheddite Hull
Win 209 primer
21.5 grns 800-X
SP16 wad
1 1/8oz payload
1240fps and 9200psi

They turned out very nice IMO. The Green hulls are #5 shot and the Red #6.

No problems with the crimps and easy to load. Here they are:

Good Luck!

Greg
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

jrothWA wrote:
"Made In Australia".

What part of China is Australia in? Rolling Eyes Actually, the box should read, "Assembled in Austrailia using Chinese made parts". Wink

Sorta like Chevrolet, USA. "Assembled in Mexico using Chinese made parts". Laughing
sneem
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

The current Herter's shells from Cabela's use Cheddite hulls. The box says they are made in Italy.

byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Now thats what I call a global economy.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Zor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Anyone have any loose primer issues? On the ballistic products website they have a note saying that primer pockets are .001" larger than standard. Anyone loader win209 primers in these hulls?
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Federal 209A and Winchester 209, both fit tight without resetting the primer pocket in the green 16 gauge Cheddite hulls.

bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
Federal 209A and Winchester 209, both fit tight without resetting the primer pocket in the green 16 gauge Cheddite hulls.

Blue Cheddite hulls as well

gjw
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

bigboyd4466 wrote:
Dogchaser37 wrote:

Blue Cheddite hulls as well

Red too
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

off topic a little , but American primers fit VERY loose in the Rio 16s I've tried , every one has needed the pocket resized