16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hull life in the other gauges
goathoof
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:43 am  Reply with quote

I only reload 16 gauge shells because I only own 16 gauge shotguns. Many on this site have spoke of the poor quality with the 16 ga hulls. How many reloads can be performed on the 12 ga, 20 ga, 28ga, and 410 ga? I would like to know for the sake of comparison. Thank you.
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:14 am  Reply with quote

I have quite a few hundred Remington STS hulls in 12 , 20 , 28 and .410 that are well over 10 loads - some of the 12s are approaching 15

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:58 am  Reply with quote

The biggie I load is 20 ga for skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays. I load the Remington STS . I got all my hulls 3 1/2 years ago and have about 4 five gallon buckets full. Can't say for sure how many reloads I get on each hull, but I keep loading them till I see a split neck and toss the case. I'm really pleased with those hulls.

df
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

I get 8-10 loads in 12 ga AAs and STS hulls. Probably could get more, but I have 1000s of them so I toss and start with new hulls.
Twenty Ga, STS, about 8 reloads and then I toss them.
Twenty eight AAHS, again about 8 loadings and I toss them.
I could get more loadings out of most of the above, but I have such a large stash of empties, I just start a new batch.

Sixteens, are another matter. I don't shoot a whole lot of them, but the hulls are certainly lower quality. I bet 4-6 loads would be max for me.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

The 16 gauge is not officially recognized as a separate target gauge or class anywhere today. Today, none of the ammo companies offer 16 gauge shells manufactured with premium hulls designed w/ reloading in mind. All presently manufactured 16 gauge ammo is specifically designed for hunting. All use the least expensive hulls available, because the spent ones are presumably tossed out.

We who reload 16 gauge ammo must salvage what hulls we can or do without. Just how it is, and it isn't likely to change. The good news is that once fired 16 gauge hulls in excellent condition are often available if we are vigilant and quick to the spent hull bucket at our club range. That's where I get most of mine. And no, I won't tell you where my club or the bucket is. Laughing