16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Model 37 and Herters shells?
readgriff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:56 am  Reply with quote

I tried my model 37 1948 yr 16ga with Herters shells the other day and they would not eject the brass seems to swell up in the barrel or the fingers are not grabbing the hull good enough.
The fired shell gets stuck in barrel.
Has anyone else had this issue with there model 37.
Thanks

Last edited by readgriff on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Cant say that I have, but I've probably only tried about 6 boxes. Mines about 10 years newer, but that shouldn't matter

Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1949 M37. I haven't shot Herter's branded shells, but I don't have any trouble with other cheds. Might be a shell lot issue?
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Yes with a model 37, but it was no longer mine as I'd sold it to the pumpermeister. It wouldn't eject fired Herters. IIRC, Griff had a Remington 48 that likewise would not eject them. Never a problem with my A5 or m12 although the latter is short chambered and only extracts them while unable to clear the ejection port. Hopefully it's just an occasional lot of them slipping varied extractors.
John
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Come to think of it, I was squirrel hunting last weekend with my M12 and some new Herters and had a problem with them being ejected. They extracted fine but seem to hang up in the ejection port. Hope someone can shed some light on this. First time using Hertrs and had high hopes for them.

John
4setters
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

I've not run any Herters loads through my M37 yet, but I have run quite a few Cheddite-type (polyformed) factory loads through it. Mostly higher velocity Fiocchi's, Winchesters, Rios, Nobels, etc. No problems at all in the M37. Never had any ejection problems of any kind with my M37.

However, I have had problems with all of these factory loads except Nobels in my BPS 16. The high velocity loads don't want to extract from the chamber, particularly after it gets a little dirty from use. So I mostly use reloaded CF Winchesters in this gun.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:03 am  Reply with quote

Does it have problems with other brands? I had a similar problem with both my 1959 16 and 1957 20 in M37. Both would do fine with some, but not all shell mfg.'s shells. There are issues that don't affect old brass hull shells but don't work well on the new steel cases that are brass washed. The new shell heads don't return closer to the same size they were before firing and are harder to extract than the old shells. Sometimes all that is needed is to polish the chamber. If that doesn't work, the problem can be the size of the notches in the barrel which impede extractors from efficiently working. I don't know if this is an issue with Ithaca M37's, but some chambers in some guns are a little smaller than others in the same model because of chamber reamer wear. The more wear in a reamer causes the reamer to become smaller which makes a smaller chamber. I've sent my two guns to Les Hovencamp former head gunsmith for the Ithaca of NY Ithaca gun company. He got them working fine. The bottom line is that if the extractors aren't worn and springs are okay, some guns just don't handle the steel heads of new shells as well as they did the 100% brass heads. The guns, however, can be made to work with the new hulls.
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

The gun should fire all brands of ammo it is chambered for. If not then something is dirty or worn. it could be a rough chamber or one or both extractor claws are worn or dirt in the recess where the extractor spring is set in the bolt. Take the action apart and clean everything. Once reassembled ,if it still is being difficult take a small light and look at the chamber. If it is rough get it polished. if that doesn't do it then new claws and springs should fix the problem. 65 years of use and things will wear, trust me I am pretty worn out myself.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
pumpgun
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

I get occasional dropped extraction in my 1100 with Herters/Cheddite, especially factory loads. Can't make them run reliably; cleaned everything, polished the chamber... no difference. They're about 90-95% as reloads, presumably because of lower pressure.
readgriff
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

I went to the skeet Feild today and had no issues.
I used some sand paper on the barrel where the shell brass is and sanded it a little and it worked perfect.
Thanks for all of the ideas.
Readgriff
SDshooter2
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a couple of 1947-era Ithaca model 37s and all have tight chambers. But the problem is almost certainly with the ammunition. Hold a magnet to those Herter's cases, they're probably brass-coated steel. Had a bunch of problems with some Federals a few years back. Was hunting with an old-school gunsmith who showed me that trick. He said that the cheap steel cases don't spring back to shape after firing as well as brass. Took his advice and haven't had any problems since sticking to brass-headed shells.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:54 am  Reply with quote

John wrote:
Come to think of it, I was squirrel hunting last weekend with my M12 and some new Herters and had a problem with them being ejected. They extracted fine but seem to hang up in the ejection port. Hope someone can shed some light on this. First time using Hertrs and had high hopes for them.

John

You should check you gun's ejection port for length. Earlier 16ga Model 12 shotguns were chambered for the then-standard 2 9/16 inch shells and the ejection port was sized to be coordinate with that ejected shell length. The Herters shells are 2 3/4, i.e., 3/16 inch longer. So, if your gun is an older Model 12, it would seem inevitable that ejecting a 2 3/4 hull through a port sized for a 2 9/16 hull will result in at least some of the empties hanging up. This would be so even if the barrel was rechambered for 2 3/4 hulls.

There have been discussions on this site about how and how-much to modify the ejection port on early Model 12s to accommodate the 2 3/4 hull. As I recall it, there is a pretty-standard gunsmith's drill for doing so. But, if I was in your shoes and before I went to get metal cut, I'd do two things: (1) make sure the gun is an older, unmodified gun and (2) give it a good, thorough detail-stripping and cleaning. Other folks on this site have shown pictures of the model 12s they've picked up. In some of them the sheer amount of decades' worth of crud and gun-oil-turned-to-varnish inside them was astonishing, as was the fact that they still functioned with all that crap inside them. (Good testimony to the sheer quality built into a Model 12.) It might turn out that the ejection cycle is being hindered by stuff that can be removed by a good strip and clean and you can resolve your problem without cutting any metal. Alternatively, it might turn out that some other parts inside the gun are worn and it's not ejecting properly because of that, rather than an undersized ejection port. And then you could resolve the problem by possibly replacing or adjusting some internal parts, rather than cutting metal.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

I took my 1965 Remington 1100 to the trap field and shot a couple boxes of the Herter's shells. No failures to extract and the targets all broke (well, two broke on the ground Embarassed ) so I have no complaints. What with the sale at Cabela's going on now, I've ordered a couple flats to use for winter league in the same gun.

I've also shot them in a 1962 Ithaca 37 and a Sweet Sixteen without incident. Keeping the guns clean can avoid a lot of problems.

Dan
Nasty-G
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

I had 6 / 100 that stuck in my new to me, 1955, 37 16 ga. this weekend. Zero running them thru my 31 Rem. Have some Federals that I'm going to try.
df
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:52 am  Reply with quote

I have shot four boxes through my Browning citori and reloaded them and shot them again.
Had no issues.