16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Model 37 and Herters shells?
rudolph31
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:12 am  Reply with quote

I've two Sweet Sixteen Auto 5s. One is from 1948 and in virtually new condition. The other is a well used 1957. The '57 has no problems with Herters, but the '48 fails to eject about 50% of the time. Since this shotgun is absolutely reliable with Remington RGLs, I thought the Herters were a little too weak. But it has the same problem with reloaded cases. I've tried various remedies but decided life's too short. Remingtons for the '48, Herters for the '57.

rudolph31
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

OK, looking at the two pictures I posted, I noticed that the '48's ejection port looks a little smaller than the '57's. The '57 is at Art's, so I couldn't measure. But I could cut down some Herters to 67mm, load them up and try them out.

They worked! It looks like the early 2 3/4" chambered guns needed some tweaking.
qadventure
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

I couldn't resist the $57.98 price for a flat of the Herter's 16 gauge loads at Cabelas in Missoula, MT. Shot a round of skeet this evening using my Ithaca 37R (1947 vintage) and had shells stuck in chamber three times. Thought I might try to reload a box to see if they will work after resizing and loading with a light load.
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:34 am  Reply with quote

I have purchased 2 cases of the Herters 16 gauge loads for target shooting. In my Savage 720 I get several failures to extract with these hulls. They work fine in my Wards Model 50 SxS.

I measured the rim diameter of the Herters Cheddite hulls and compared them to the Cheddites that I purchased from Graf and Sons. I do not know the exact measurements at this time but the Herters are considerably smaller than the other Cheddites.

It is not a fault of the firearm, it is the hull.

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:48 am  Reply with quote

I once had an older M37 that would only function well with new Remington or Winchester ammo. Federal, Fiochhi, and Cheddite would not function. Some would chamber, but all had difficulty extracting after they were fired. I got rid of the gun and became real soured toward M37's.
xvigauge