16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Doves and 16's
kremerd
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Our season opened Monday, went to a nice shoot Monday and had a good time shooting a 109 year old sxs A J Aubrey. Used Polywade Doublewide vintager shells #8. Killed a few birds and my Lab had a great day picking up for me and others. Went out today used Remington Model 31 16 ga. MOD. I really like this gun, shoot it well as any I own. Lot's of fun, shot several over water, (Lab enjoyed that). 90 degree temps make it tough hunting, but thats Sept. hunting in Ky.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Good job and nice report. Most of the dove reports have been very positive so far. Our Florida season opens on the 27th of Sept. I have no idea of what to expect. Will give a report if opening day ever gets here.
xvigauge

Dogpa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Shot the Imperial Valley of California on Monday. Four of us put away about 32 birds, not stellar, but a good time. Mostly Mourning doves only a few Eurasians or Whitewings in the bag.

Shot my new to me Citori 16 on live birds for the first time, with home loaded chedittes. Very pleased with both. I'll take the Lefever Nitro 16 next trip down.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

My partner and I shot the Imperial Valley as well. Both shooting 16 gauge Fox doubles. We bagged 25 birds between us, including a few collared doves, one white wing, balance mourning doves.

It was hot Sunday, Cooler on Monday (the actual opener).

PIOBill
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:26 am  Reply with quote

I took my model 37 out on Monday. I only got to hunt for about an hour in the evening, but took home 7 birds all mourning doves. If I had a dog I might have found the two Ninja doves that went down in the tall grass and hid. Plenty to shoot if I had had more time to hunt. I hope I can work out more days this season to hunt.

gjw
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Hi all, the opener for us was a bit of a bust. The one place we hunt, the farmer was haying so we had to adjust fire and go in cold to another place. Didn't do so well, but fun getting out.

My dove gun is a 16b D. Gotobed, Birmingham made, 30" damascus bbls and choked loose IC and Mod. Fun gun to shoot.

Good luck to all for a great and safe season

Best!

Greg

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:49 am  Reply with quote

doves have been on the -need to do list - in NY for several yrs . All the Federations have had it TO DO for quite some time . Legis and Gov won't budge . Used to be one of the famous store Moguls gave a DEC grant to not have one . Maybe been willed to keep the grant going !? Does the grant pay more than a 2$ stamp - who knows !!! .... one of the best places to see doves here is around the gun clubs - would St Pete let one into heaven when one confessed it was strafing trap shooteres and accidently got tapped !?