16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Rem. 1100 castoff
bandmiller2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:41 am  Reply with quote

Didn't realize I've been gone so long. I have a problem with a 1100 Lt-20 she shoots to the left, no amount of cheek pressure will correct it. I need some cast off. I realize the spring tube is in the stock. What I'am planning to do is rat tail and egg shape the channel through the stock ,shim and epoxy where the stock seats in the receiver. Any better options.?? I have read you can bend the spring tube slightly without affecting operation. Thanks guys. I have had success bending the stock on my LC Smith 16 double with a purpose built frame and heat lamp. Frank C.

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:55 am  Reply with quote

How much CO are looking for? I have an LT-20 Special that needed ~1/4" CO, instead of "egg shaping" the stock through bolt hole, I got what I needed by trimming (LITTLE BY LITTLE) the the sides of tab that interfaces with the rear of the receiver and canting/pivoting the stock around the spring tube away from my face. When there I back filled the tab voids with bondo then sealed it with polyurethane. Worked perfectly on a 11-48 as well.

Hope this helps, good luck....

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:44 am  Reply with quote

bandmiller2 wrote:
Didn't realize I've been gone so long. I have a problem with a 1100 Lt-20 she shoots to the left, no amount of cheek pressure will correct it. I need some cast off. I realize the spring tube is in the stock. What I'am planning to do is rat tail and egg shape the channel through the stock ,shim and epoxy where the stock seats in the receiver. Any better options.?? I have read you can bend the spring tube slightly without affecting operation. Thanks guys. I have had success bending the stock on my LC Smith 16 double with a purpose built frame and heat lamp. Frank C.

I was gone for 8 years and just came back this week.
xvigauge

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Frank
Welcome back
Anyone who can bend a stock is TALENTED!!
Mike

curteric
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

I have a friend that bought a new 11-87 with a bent barrel. No amount of woodwork could fix that. Remington replaced the barrel but my friend replaced the stock.
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

It's not clear to me why your LT-20 is shooting left. Is the barrel bent? If it's a choke tube gun, are the chokes asymmetrical? Or do you have some physical body configuration that causes all your guns to shoot left (as implied in your comment about bending other guns)?

Dan
bandmiller2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Dan, I have a full face and usally require a little cast off. Putz 453 I'll study your suggestion may be easier than rat holing the stock channel. I don't need much I could always remove some stock wood but I'd sooner not mess up the finish. I'am a snap shooter and never see the sight beads, pattern placement is the whole ball of wax. Thanks guys Frank C.

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:34 am  Reply with quote

Hope it works for you. Ditto on the snap shooting, my 11-48 Brush Hog doesn't even have beads on it, snap that thing up to my shoulder and the right eye is lookin right down the rib...patterns more or less exactly where I'm looking, perfect for brush busting and a blast for low gun skeet as well.

Best of luck with the project...

bandmiller2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Putz, I took a three prong approach to the lack of castoff I filed like you did and turned the stock slightly, rat tailed the tube channel and put a very slight bend in the tube. Plastic shims on the left side of the receiver. Before I did anything I put a straight edge lining up the beads and rib and a mark on a piece of masking tape on the butt, I moved it over a little more than 5/16. The factory stock had no cast. Will try shooting it tomorrow. Frank C.

pheasantmaster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:15 am  Reply with quote

Just put a card board shim or two in front of stock -behind receiver on left side.