16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powder and Primers
Doggai
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone have reliable, or God help us "confirmed" information about the absence of various powders at the suppliers? Seems like every time I think there is an answer to the question, it turns out the provider of the information found it on the inside of a bottle cap of some cheap gin. I'm still sitting on about 10 lbs total of various trap shooting powders. And some Blue Dot. But . . . curious minds want to know.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

It seems to be something like a glacier breaking up - little pieces here and there breaking free from time to time.

I went to a gun store yesterday and managed to pick up 2# of Titewad for the "old" price, even though it was "new" stock. There was a good selection of rifle powders, not much shotgun, and less pistol. The local-to-me Cabelas had several kinds of rifle powder in last week; this was an improvement from having had the same 2 1# bottles of 50BMG as the only, lonely inhabitants of their powder cabinet.

It's starting to break free. But it's going to take a while.
Doggai
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

While strolling through Cabela's the other day trying to find something to spend my points on, I noted a couple of cans of powder I use occasionally at $30 a pound. Yikes, I thought. The SCOTUS ruled we have a right to keep and bear arms, but it's going to be damn expensive.

I finally found a new toy, the Bushnell Backtrack thing. Been down in the woods with the dogs several evenings since and forget to take it with me to see if it really works. Reports from others tell me it does work. We'll see.

Charles Daly SxS 28
Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:17 am  Reply with quote

Been using the Back Track for about 4 years and find it to be fairly accurate. Make sure your moving before you get serious about the direction of travel arrow. Distance measurement is accurate for getting you in the ballpark of your starting point. Looked at a new GPS the other day and the manual was a 1/2 inch thick. Why so many doo dads to get you from point A to B? I'll stick with the $40 wonder.

Doggai
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Well, I tried the Backtrack last evening out with the dogs. I know I wanted to travel in a northwesterly direction, it pointed me in a northeasterly direction. I thought about just following the dogs that were working really well in the brush, but they seemed to have disoriented guidance, too. They ran around in circles in the brush and seemed to be getting further from where I thought I should be going.

Since I didn't just get into town on a truckload of turnips, I went northwesterly and found my house. Amazing!!

Gonna try it again and see if it learned anything from my first foray or give it back to Bushnell. And get new dogs.

Charles Daly SxS 28
Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Hearing there is some variance from unit to unit. I must of lucked out and got one that was made on a Weds.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doggai
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

RingTFM I got an idea that I'm gonna do a figure eight when the unit comes on and see if that squares it away. There's something in TFM about doing that to orient the compass gyro. I'll try it tomorrow morning when I'm out with the dogs, again.

Charles Daly SxS 28
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

I've only been testing the waters to start reloading this winter, however, I must be having crazy luck. I found a place (I am not willing to share) with 28 lbs of 800x, 2 lbs Titewad, 3 lbs of PB, 2 lbs of Blue Dot, and 3 lbs Green Dot. He even had a few other 1 lb options I know I've seen on the 16 ga spreadsheet. He also has lots of Winchester & Federal primers in stock. Just in his shop today and most of this has been there since my last visit 4 months ago.

He told me he is getting out of 16 ga stocking so offered me 7 bags of Remington 16 ga wads for $7 a bag.

Figured I would clean him out of all the power and wads next week when I swing back through. Got to love shops out of towns on gravel roads!

Now I just got to get my hands on a 16 ga sizemaster at around the price I am willing to pay.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Doggai
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Well, here's one example of why some people can't find powder. I was going to make a snide comment about hoarders, but decided to zip my lip.

Charles Daly SxS 28
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

My point was something in my part of the world seems odd. I walked into another store last week that had several 8 lbs containers on the selves and 4 types of shotgun primers.

I am afraid if I don't grab what I can now who knows if or when it will be back. If that's hoarding then I embrace it.

My goal is to stock up and not have to purchase any components for the next decade! Especially if a volume purchase reduces my cost. My past life is purchasing. It's just smart and economical.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

part of it , I believe , is that it can depend on how much target shooting is in an area . Our area has targets all yr around big time . Our 2 world hall of famers would REALLY like to land some Unique and PB . So would I , but for now if all that's around is Red Dot or 700X , I'll make it work ! Except for a trip to MOO , my shooting is at the speed of Skeet ...The place you visited may not have much in the way of targets going on and summer may not place much demand there ... ( I haven't been able to make the HOT powders work for 410 , but everything else is a go !)

GWP
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have always bought bulk so I get a break on price. Not to mention when I was shooting a lot it would have been inconvienient to run out. What a shock when I went to resupply!
Not to mention I had just helped a friend get into reloading shotgun by loaning an MEC 12ga 650 then 9000 to try as well as giving him a half bag of #6 lead shot, wads, and a full 1lb can of Red Dot after having him over to load here to get familiar with it.
Now I can't find any Red Dot. Hmmm. Still have some, but not much.
GWP
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:51 am  Reply with quote

Was digging around in the reloading supplies and discovered I have shotgun powder I forgot about! New and un-opened! WooHoo!
Griffon
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:29 am  Reply with quote

The powder will come back slowly over time. Being in a small scrap iron business and seeing how the price of lead never drops I'd be more inclined to tuck some lead away. As all our US smelters are disappearing we will be at the mercy of Peru, Argentina, wherever for our shot. Late 90's I bought lead wholesale for $8.00 a bag, now it's close to $40.00 with the local sporting good store at $50.00. Sad to say the day is coming when we will be priced right out of reloading. 3 cents worth.